Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

1A to PRG. Can I just tag your bag to put it under the seat in front of you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1A to PRG. Can I just tag your bag to put it under the seat in front of you?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Talking 1A to PRG. Can I just tag your bag to put it under the seat in front of you?

So boarding from the chaotically signed gate 3 in T3. No real segregation of priority boarding though one staff member was fighting a rear guard action.

Found myself behind a non status pax in Y who was happily processed. No big deal we're entering a holding area.

But I have one small backpack.

Can I just tag that so you can put it under the seat in front of you?

No!

Why?

1 it is my only item of hand baggage and
2 I am in 1a. There is not a seat in front of me.

I guess we all make mistakes but in the words of the meme "you had one job to do"
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Happened to me at HEL as well, when seated in 1A... I pointed this out to the agent but apparently new guidelines were strict, and I received a tag regardless...
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
My approach (in row 1) is always to allow them to put the tag on and put my bag in the overhead when I board. No need to discuss the futility of the tag with the staff member who is simply doing their job.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:45 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
My approach (in row 1) is always to allow them to put the tag on and put my bag in the overhead when I board. No need to discuss the futility of the tag with the staff member who is simply doing their job.
Exactly, not worth wasting the time trying to explain that you will need to put the bag in the overhead anyway.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Their job is to misdirect pax? New one on me.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Deckard
Their job is to misdirect pax?
Their job is to tag the bag.

So why don't you just let them get on with doing what they've been told to do? It's not the staff member's fault that this is what they've been told to do. And then stow your bag where you have to stow it once you get on board (which the cabin crew know).

Rather than treating it (as some other people seem to treat it) as some mortal insult to their virility or status if they have a tag wrongly/needlessly affixed to a bag.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Several recent threads on this. Their job is to tag the 2nd bag (regardless of exit row or cabin, apparently), but not if you only have one piece. The exception seems to be LCY, where they tag anything they can (understandably given E70/90 overhead capacity).

However, adherence to this policy is sketchy at best, my 2nd piece gets tagged about 50% of time SH, and never in CW/F.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC
Although my flying is fairly infrequent, in the last 15 or so flights I've done, there hasn't been anyone tagging bags (even on a full A319 to GLA where everyone seemed to be bringing everything but their kitchen sink).

Last edited by GSTBK; Feb 8, 2015 at 8:43 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
To me, its one of the small things in life that aren't worth fussing about. Having paid my way through University doing menial customer facing jobs, I have empathy with the employee having to tag bags, probably in the full knowledge that it's a futile exercise but they value / need their job so comply with the bosses instructions.
Putting myself back in their shoes, I graciously accept the tag, knowing full well the bag is heading for the overhead locker because I'm in row 12.
My son also worked his way through University. He also used to meet some real DYKWIA types. We were discussing the other evening how we coped with them. I laughed at his. While smiling politely at them, he simply thought about that wonderful line in Toy Story where Buzz Lightyear looks at Woody and says "You are a sad, strange little man and you have my pity."
I wonder how many times BA staff have pity on us sad, strange little men and women?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I exactly do the same thing.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Had they seen your BP prior to the remark?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by gcuk
To me, its one of the small things in life that aren't worth fussing about. Having paid my way through University doing menial customer facing jobs, I have empathy with the employee having to tag bags, probably in the full knowledge that it's a futile exercise but they value / need their job so comply with the bosses instructions.
Putting myself back in their shoes, I graciously accept the tag, knowing full well the bag is heading for the overhead locker because I'm in row 12.
My son also worked his way through University. He also used to meet some real DYKWIA types. We were discussing the other evening how we coped with them. I laughed at his. While smiling politely at them, he simply thought about that wonderful line in Toy Story where Buzz Lightyear looks at Woody and says "You are a sad, strange little man and you have my pity."
I wonder how many times BA staff have pity on us sad, strange little men and women?

I totally agree, it is kind of pathetic kicking off about something so minor, if you feel so strongly about it then just accept it and tear it off in the airbridge, not really worth the argument.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
OP was asked a question and gave a direct answer, hardly 'kicking-off'. Agree that most pragmatic can be to just take tag and then remove, my usual answer (if in exit row) is to say 'I'm in an exit row I'm afraid' and that suffices.

I'm of view that I f I pack hand baggage judiciously I shouldn't be seen as an automatic sacrificial lamb for someone bringing the proverbial kitchen sink - but appreciate this can be necessary at times.

What do people think the order of cabin baggage priority should be (out of interest)
- do you gate check the larger pieces or force the under seat solution for those with just 1 piece? I think that the former may have a stronger behavioural impact (pax don't want the inconvenience), but it may not work with irregular flyers
- should there be a status / class of travel dimension? (Whatever suits me best in my view )
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
OP was asked a question and gave a direct answer, hardly 'kicking-off'. Agree that most pragmatic can be to just take tag and then remove, my usual answer (if in exit row) is to say 'I'm in an exit row I'm afraid' and that suffices.

I'm of view that I f I pack hand baggage judiciously I shouldn't be seen as an automatic sacrificial lamb for someone bringing the proverbial kitchen sink - but appreciate this can be necessary at times.

What do people think the order of cabin baggage priority should be (out of interest)
- do you gate check the larger pieces or force the under seat solution for those with just 1 piece? I think that the former may have a stronger behavioural impact (pax don't want the inconvenience), but it may not work with irregular flyers
- should there be a status / class of travel dimension? (Whatever suits me best in my view )
I think that they should just automatically gate check any larger items of luggage at the gate, when they get the sense that no more will fit in the cabin, but then allow CE priority over this preference, e.g If both a CE & ET passenger has a huge bag, give the CE pax preference to take onboard over the ET.

Almost a little bit like the Ryanair new rule of only so many cases allowed onboard before the rest go to the hold.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Deckard
Can I just tag that so you can put it under the seat in front of you?
Oh dear, all theses years I've been putting a bag under the seat in front without the tag on? I didn't realise I needed permission to do it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.