Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

DME food service "enhancement"; no more hot meals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DME food service "enhancement"; no more hot meals

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 5:33 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nivsy
What do Transaero offer on Moscow route ex LHR?
SU and UN both offer a full hot meal service in Y.
Old May 2, 2014, 5:55 am

Last time I did this route was in J with SU and we didn't get any food at all. That was on an IL-86 though.
Old May 2, 2014, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by bioblot
Last time I did this route was in J with SU and we didn't get any food at all. That was on an IL-86 though.
SU don't fly this route
Old May 2, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by orbitmic
To be honest, I think that BA's management uses a rather self-serving phrasing when they put it that way. The descriptive phrasing would be that BA are not willing to pay for hot meals considering the costs that they are being proposed for 1 daily flight on this route. Several airlines have a single daily flight from DME (or even less) and get full catering. This includes airlines such as BA's OW partner RJ who do not fly every day. So if this is not 'reasonable' for BA while it is to others, I'm afraid that it says more about BA's than it does about DME.
It is worth, however, considering why BA upgraded the route to a long-haul service:

1) To retain (and win back) the business-class market, which had long since started moving to SU, UN and BD, as BA was offering (at that time) the worst quality business class service on the dogs of the fleet, the shorthaul 767s.

2) To capture more of the (fast growing) long haul market ex-Moscow, which required (at that time) its long haul passengers to spend the first 4 hours of their trip in misery, compared with shorter time on other European carriers, due to their geographical location.

Now, the A321 return service, the 234, arrives back into LHR at 20:25, so very little connecting traffic. Consequently, BA can be little concerned about whether Y passengers get a meal or a sandwich on the route, where really, the competition is the evening U2 flight.

Last edited by MrSimonR; May 2, 2014 at 7:14 am
Old May 2, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by BA6501
Why would having the aircraft containerised make more space available for food?

I think all midhaul A321s being used on DME & TLV are containerised.
Only because a while ago I asked why we would not be round catering and someone told me that we could not round cater on these 321s in the hold, the way we can with other aircraft.

I was under the impression that one of these was offline being containerised at the moment but I could have got that completely wrong.

Like you I cannot understand why this decision has happened and yes when it is a 321 it is definitely a Eurofleet crew. Some 767 flights have been operated by Eurofleet but I believe most are being operated by Worldwide crew but all should be the worldwide service unless subbed to a short-haul 767, which hopefully won't happen too often!

I really am unable to justify any of this and I can promise you that all crew are really having a hard time understanding the rational for the decision for these flights having this offering. I am not aware, obviously, for the reasons why we cannot have catering at Moscow but I presume and hope that this is unavoidable.

Last edited by Littlegirl; May 2, 2014 at 7:14 am
Old May 2, 2014, 9:03 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by layz
SU don't fly this route
As SU is LHR-SVO, neither does UN (LHR-VKO) or U2 (LGW-DME), if one wants to be literal.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:57 am

And so the aircraft substitution starts! Today's BA234/5 was operated by shorthaul A320 G-EUUB.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:13 pm

I flew Transaero once when code shared on a BMI flight. Awful. My seat was broken leaving a very sharp edge just waiting to rip my clothes or arm given the slightest chance, the plane was grubby and tired (bit like the 767s really ) and I swore never again. I reported back to HO (I was working on behalf of a big corporate) with pics of the plane and seat and policy was changed to say BA or Aeroflot only.

The DME route has always been hit and miss in my experience with BA, and to simply be endured.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Only because a while ago I asked why we would not be round catering and someone told me that we could not round cater on these 321s in the hold, the way we can with other aircraft.

I was under the impression that one of these was offline being containerised at the moment but I could have got that completely wrong.
Ah! I didn't know that aircraft were round catered in the hold at all.

Most of the 7 aircraft have now been containerised, I think there are two left.
Old May 3, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
It should only be a sandwich on a 321 flight to Moscow and in WT. The 767 and 747 rotations are round catered with the normal long-haul catering.

Obviously the cabin crew are not happy with this situation either.

Can I ask, were you not advised about this ahead of time as we have been told that customers will be aware of the catering change on these 321 flights?
Hi littlegirl. Nope, was told nothing at all before. Crew were not pleased with service, as they knew they were going to get moaned at providing a service more akin to Band 2 ET than WT..
Old May 3, 2014, 5:31 am

Cooked meal both directions choice of two with pre ordered specials, free alcohol beer wine and vodka, seats with more legroom than BA MH 321
Old May 3, 2014, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by chalf
As SU is LHR-SVO, neither does UN (LHR-VKO) or U2 (LGW-DME), if one wants to be literal.
To be accurately literal, one of the two LHR UN flights is from DME and one from VKO.
Old May 3, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain
Hi littlegirl. Nope, was told nothing at all before. Crew were not pleased with service, as they knew they were going to get moaned at providing a service more akin to Band 2 ET than WT..
I know that the cabin crew, that have operated these flights, are feeding these issues of passengers not being aware or properly informed about this, back to BA.

Other than apologise, I don't really know what to say about this.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:36 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain
To be accurately literal, one of the two LHR UN flights is from DME and one from VKO.
The 2x daily UN-operated flights to LHR are all now from VKO. Only the U2 code-shares are from DME.

Also, neither UN nor SU offers free beer or alcohol in Y--just [1 glass of] wine. And on SU it comes in a box labeled "Merlot"...UN at least has real bottles of something. SU does offer other wine and beer for sale for cash, though it is not advertised on the LHR routes.

I'll also debate the point about UN having better legroom than BA in Y; I find UN to be quite economical on legroom, though the newer [secondhand] aircraft are fine (the 737-400/500 are a bit tight, particularly in the back).

Last edited by chalf; May 3, 2014 at 11:42 am
Old May 25, 2014, 8:33 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by chalf
The 2x daily UN-operated flights to LHR are all now from VKO. Only the U2 code-shares are from DME.

Also, neither UN nor SU offers free beer or alcohol in Y--just [1 glass of] wine. And on SU it comes in a box labeled "Merlot"...UN at least has real bottles of something. SU does offer other wine and beer for sale for cash, though it is not advertised on the LHR routes.

I'll also debate the point about UN having better legroom than BA in Y; I find UN to be quite economical on legroom, though the newer [secondhand] aircraft are fine (the 737-400/500 are a bit tight, particularly in the back).
I indicated in an earlier post that i recently had a flight LHR-DME on the A321
show in MMB as EuroTraveller, not WorldTraveller. The A321 is back to being WorldTraveller for my next booked travel.

As an aside, it appears that SU may have changed from boxed wine to real bottles. I'm not sure if that impacts the quality, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.