Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

DME food service "enhancement"; no more hot meals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DME food service "enhancement"; no more hot meals

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by 710 77345
So you're saying that BA.com sold you a flight promising a 3 course meal in both directions (and you have the proof) but you got just a manky roll on each flight instead - and super senior people are aware of this at BA, and their only response is to fix the website to stop other people being misled?

Wowsers, I can't believe they're not trying to make it up to you as good customer service to thank you for your report, never mind just trying to fix their broken promise to you from a legal perspective. Shockingly poor management from BA.
I know, but I guess welcome to BA....
Old May 11, 2016, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Plat
With the demise of EZY on this route I have been using BA again, until last week when at the prospect of only getting 40 Tier Points and <1000 avios I thought I would give Aeroflot a try.

BA are flying half full A321's on this route at the moment, and still providing only a sandwich for the "meal".

Aeroflot fly A330's, and to my surprise it was about 75% full. We were provided a hot lunch and wine free of charge (a recent genuine enhancement from when I've been told), and the seat and IFE were both perfectly fine. To top it off the ticket was about £50 cheaper as well.

I really don't understand why BA are giving away so much business on this route for the sake of a £5 microwave meal. On every flight I hear passangers grumble about it, and I know a couple of Russians who avoided BA when flying to the US as "BA are too stingy".
Old May 11, 2016, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
BA could end up having to match Aeroflot's offer then.

The only reason band 4 Y to ATH,IST,LCA etc gets a hot meal is presumably due to competition from
TK and A3
Old May 11, 2016, 3:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ENTP
The only reason band 4 Y to ATH,IST,LCA etc gets a hot meal is presumably due to competition from
TK and A3
I don't think it is necessarily the reason. KBP is also a Band 4 route and BA offers hot meals and a full bar, while PS has a Buy-on-Board product and only serves water for free. However, PS manages to fill 2 flights per day, while BA's 1 daily service is sometimes half empty even though the product is superior. However, BA carriers a lot more premium passengers (and transfer) passengers.

It is often hard to say why passengers prefer a particular airline. I recently flew from ITS to MAD on IB on a midhaul configured A319 in business class, which I enjoyed very much. IB has since canceled the route due to poor demand, while TK still manages to fill 2 flights a day.

Last edited by Andriyko; May 11, 2016 at 10:23 am Reason: Grammar and stuff :-)
Old May 11, 2016, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Haven't Aeroflot killed more passengers than any other airline?! >8,000, whilst BA have had no fatalities?

Considering I can eat in the lounge, I know which one I'd side with
Old May 11, 2016, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Its a shame they stopped their 747 service; the 321 sounds one extreme to the other
Old May 11, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC
The reason for lack of hot meals on a DME is the fact all catering is loaded ex LHR, I.e nothing is uplifted in DME and as such there is insufficient space in the A321 galleys to carry hot meals. The situation has been flagged by crew on almost every single flight as being unsatisfactory, with numerous complaints. Until such a time when (and if) catering is loaded in DME for the return sector, the sandwiches will remain.

Regards
D1L
Old May 11, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
Originally Posted by Door1Left
The reason for lack of hot meals on a DME is the fact all catering is loaded ex LHR, I.e nothing is uplifted in DME and as such there is insufficient space in the A321 galleys to carry hot meals. The situation has been flagged by crew on almost every single flight as being unsatisfactory, with numerous complaints. Until such a time when (and if) catering is loaded in DME for the return sector, the sandwiches will remain.

Regards
D1L
Why simply not upload catering at DME? It's a big enough airport!!
Old May 11, 2016, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
£600-£1200 for a flight and cheese sandwich! Brilliant.
Old May 11, 2016, 5:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Door1Left

Regards
D1L
That is not the case, it's just the excuse BA uses. bmi used to run these same planes to DME and manage to fit in all the catering, the bmi staff even explained to BA how to do it. Even if they didn't want to load it all in the galleys because they want to keep more space for duty free, they could load the return catering in the cargo hold and have it moved up during the DME turn.

Of course BA don't care though, the space reason was a handy excuse get-out clause to allow them to cut costs.
Old May 11, 2016, 6:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Never understood it myself either. I fly LED, St Petersburg and you get hot breakfast on way out and hot dinner on way back, catered from LED
Old May 11, 2016, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Plat
If the comparison of passenger numbers is anything to go by, BA penny pinching has definitely cost them a considerable amount of business on this route (and potentially others from lost feeder traffic).

BA used to be able to fill 747's daily, and while the economic crises in Russia has definitely dampened demand, Aeroflot are still able to 3/4 fill an A330, so yields could be improved if the product offering is improved.
Old May 11, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ajbrowc
If the comparison of passenger numbers is anything to go by, BA penny pinching has definitely cost them a considerable amount of business on this route (and potentially others from lost feeder traffic).

BA used to be able to fill 747's daily, and while the economic crises in Russia has definitely dampened demand, Aeroflot are still able to 3/4 fill an A330, so yields could be improved if the product offering is improved.
BA certainly used to be seen as the leaders on this route - even in the CE days on the battered old shorthaul 767s which were outrageously expensive in CE for a mid-week return. When they went longhaul service, the 747s were often full, especially in Club and often in First, especially on Mondays and Fridays. The 767s were always full in CW from my recollection. Cameron was lauding the new route and it was very well patronised by the better-off Russians who wanted their friends to know they were travelling BA Club or First in a flat bed to the UK. Most Brits were still so scared of SU in those days that they tended to stick with BA. It was made even easier for BA to succeed when BMI were taken out of the equation.

Quite how BA managed to make such a pig's ear of a profitable route is a mystery to me.
Old May 11, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling

Quite how BA managed to make such a pig's ear of a profitable route is a mystery to me.
It may simply not be as profitable anymore. We don't know the fares that companies (that still allow business class travel) negotiated with SU. Maybe BA is not after that business? Russia is really suffering now. I don't think that those bankers who used to fill the first/business class cabins are there anymore. Also, SU also offers super cheap fares from the East to LHR, which fills the planes but does not mean profitability. Many factors are at play here.
Old May 11, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by ENTP

TK and A3
BA's meals are fairly decent. A3's have deteriorated to a bit of pasta and a chocolate biscuit for dessert. LON is the only route that A3 offer entertainment on, presumably because BA do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.