Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is to help BAEC members use US Airways for travelling, earning and redeeming Avios. Your comments are welcome.

One obvious resource for more information about US Airways is their main Flyertalk presence, which is to be found here:
US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Merger)

The US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/default.aspx

The US Airways UK website - this allows you to pay in GBP, therefore avoiding currency conversion fees. Note that if you are a BA Amex PP cardholder you can also book via BAEC by telephone to get more Avios, however there may be a service fee.
http://www.usairways.com/en-UK/default.html
Print Wikipost

US Airways - your BA Executive Club guide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pipsi
Is there any clearer knowledge of TP on US flights? In preparing to book a flight to the States and if the 70TP for economy us correct I'll happily forgo the free alcoholic drinks on BA and book US instead.
Let me bump that question, but specifically in relation to business/First?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by pipsi
Is there any clearer knowledge of TP on US flights? In preparing to book a flight to the States and if the 70TP for economy us correct I'll happily forgo the free alcoholic drinks on BA and book US instead.
I flew in Y on the 4th April, so will probably be the first to confirm this. I check twice a day so will post as soon as I see something.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, PriorityClub Platinum, SPG Platinum
I am flying BOS-DCA on US Airways and upgrade to first is available for $83 when checking in.

1. What is the best guess on how much TP's will I earn? As I have not paid for the ticket, and will only be paying for the upgrade, will it be a good $/TP ratio?

2. I would have gone for it without too much thought, but as it's a short flight, I don't think I am getting anything of significance for the $83. Could not figure out from US Air website.

Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cal_dood
I am flying BOS-DCA on US Airways and upgrade to first is available for $83 when checking in.

1. What is the best guess on how much TP's will I earn? As I have not paid for the ticket, and will only be paying for the upgrade, will it be a good $/TP ratio?

2. I would have gone for it without too much thought, but as it's a short flight, I don't think I am getting anything of significance for the $83. Could not figure out from US Air website.

Thanks!
From the BA Avios calculator it looks like 20 TP for discounted economy, and 60 for first, so for $83 for the extra 40 I would book it. Unless you have already reached whatever your target is this year, but even then I'd still do it. Especially as you haven't paid for the flight yourself.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Chandler Bing
From the BA Avios calculator it looks like 20 TP for discounted economy, and 60 for first, so for $83 for the extra 40 I would book it. Unless you have already reached whatever your target is this year, but even then I'd still do it. Especially as you haven't paid for the flight yourself.
I'd urge a bit of caution on this one. The above outcome would happen on BA metal provided the underlying ticket was a revenue not points. It would NOT happen on AA, unless there was a ticketing error. But for US Airways I'm not certain we have the knowledge base yet to be sure about this. If this upgrade would have earned additional credit under Dividend Miles then you'd be in a good starting point. Personally I'd make the decision based on the merits of an upgraded experience (and would move like greased lightning to get the upgrade) and then be extra happy if TPs/Avios came my way.

Please let us know the outcome however.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'd urge a bit of caution on this one. The above outcome would happen on BA metal provided the underlying ticket was a revenue not points. It would NOT happen on AA, unless there was a ticketing error. But for US Airways I'm not certain we have the knowledge base yet to be sure about this. If this upgrade would have earned additional credit under Dividend Miles then you'd be in a good starting point. Personally I'd make the decision based on the merits of an upgraded experience (and would move like greased lightning to get the upgrade) and then be extra happy if TPs/Avios came my way.

Please let us know the outcome however.
True, to be honest I didn't think of the possibility of this being an award booking. US have a program called GOFirst, which this sounds of as what it is you get offered a cheapo upgrade at check-in T-24. As far as I'm aware, you get the credit for the higher cabin but obviously post merger I can't say for 100% sure.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, PriorityClub Platinum, SPG Platinum

Sorry, was not clear that it is a paid ticket.

The mystery continues on how many TP I would potentially have received.

Because - I waited till the last minute to convince myself to buy as on such a short flight no real benefit. Even asked the GA - she said no real benefit apart from a slightly bigger seat. So decided not to buy it.

And then when I was boarding I was upgraded. 😄

I think the only conclusion I can take is that One World ruby status puts you in the upgrade queue in US airways. I don't think that is the case on AA.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; IHG
Originally Posted by Matthew Bennion
I flew in Y on the 4th April, so will probably be the first to confirm this. I check twice a day so will post as soon as I see something.
Looking forward to finding out!
Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
just been looking at the possibility of using EDI-PHL later this year

I was a bit surprised to note from the BA flight calculator that business class will only attract 70 TP

half what I would normally earn from a TATL flight

is this really the case or is there an error
Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
just been looking at the possibility of using EDI-PHL later this year

I was a bit surprised to note from the BA flight calculator that business class will only attract 70 TP

half what I would normally earn from a TATL flight

is this really the case or is there an error
Hi,

I think it is an error but there have not been any reports on here yet.

A few FT'ers have travelled on US Airways after they joined OW on 31st March but the points have not posted yet for confirmation of earnings.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
It most likely seems to be an error - they have economy earning much more than expected and business much less than expected - but until some folk have flown (+/- disputed incorrect levels of TPs) we probably won't know for certain.

They do seem to have gradually updated things though - in MMB the internal US flights are now calculating correctly (eg 210 TP for >2k miles), so my upcoming ex-DUB HNL trip is only 140TP short of my own calculations (using Owen Rudge's website) - this would fit with the international business sections incorrectly being calculated at 70 rather than 140TP. Prior to 31st March it only showed TP credit for the single AA sector (as I expected), however for the first week of April it only had a partial improvement in TPs - this is now almost totally fixed. The predicted Avios earning is also down a little but this too may fit with the international business segments being calculated incorrectly. Hopefully the 100% bonus Avios in the current promo will post OK too - will make for a pretty nice haul from one trip!
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
thanks for the responses

I will keep my eyes on this thread and hopefully we will get a definite answer once FTers TPs have been credited
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond

No news on the TPs anyone ?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:24 am

Meals in First(within the U.S., Mexico, Latin America and the Caribbean)

"Lite Bites" sounds like afternoon tea

New Lite Bites
New morning and afternoon Lite Bites snack basket offerings include fresh fruit,
breakfast cakes and finger sandwiches.

Meals on your flight

< 1 hour Snack on a nut mix.

1 - 2 hours Try our new upgraded snack basket with tastier specialty snacks.

2 - 2:45 hours (and flights after 8 PM) Choose from our new morning and afternoon Lite Bites snack basket.

2:45 - 3.5 hours Enjoy heartier meals and more vegetarian dishes.

3.5 - 4.5 hours Dine on a full meal, including an appetizer.

4.5+ hours Enjoy meal service, with an appetizer and snack basket.

•On flights longer than 4:30 hours, enjoy meal service with a snack basket 5 AM - 8 PM, and Lite Bites with a Continental Breakfast Box served after 8 PM and on late night flights

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...irstclass.html

Premium Wines on domestic flights
•Premium wines are now available in Main Cabin on all domestic routes 3:30 hours and longer
(I guess they mean these http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...irstclass.html)

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...hance_03262014
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:39 pm
Suspended

US seem to do a better job of explaining how its J product differs across its fleet. AA take note.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.