Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is to help BAEC members use US Airways for travelling, earning and redeeming Avios. Your comments are welcome.

One obvious resource for more information about US Airways is their main Flyertalk presence, which is to be found here:
US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Merger)

The US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/default.aspx

The US Airways UK website - this allows you to pay in GBP, therefore avoiding currency conversion fees. Note that if you are a BA Amex PP cardholder you can also book via BAEC by telephone to get more Avios, however there may be a service fee.
http://www.usairways.com/en-UK/default.html
Print Wikipost

US Airways - your BA Executive Club guide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mrahul
could it be because they have not yet loaded all the routes into the system?
I've no idea, but generally the reason is that there simply isn't availability to BA, or there's a temporary glitch which resolves itself in a few hours/days. AA and US frequent flyers have access to better availability than BA (and indeed vice versa if BA Gold).
Old Apr 25, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: BAEC
Does anyone have any update on how many tier points P class accrues? Is P classed as Business or as First, for BA purposes?

There are some excellent fares in P available on the lucrative EWR-PHX routine in July, which, if they yielded 420 TP would be amazing value. The fares are less than $1000 (bookable on AA but not showing on ITA?).

Any advice appreciated.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: BAEC
Please disregard - this itinerary is on AA and therefore not relevant to this thread. But if anyone knows in passing whether AA P class is 140 or 210 TP for a 2000+ mile route, I would be grateful!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njitfc
Please disregard - this itinerary is on AA and therefore not relevant to this thread. But if anyone knows in passing whether AA P class is 140 or 210 TP for a 2000+ mile route, I would be grateful!
Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Accor Platinum etc etc
Does anyone know if a US Airways operated flight booked through American Airlines with an AA flight number earns tier points?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PaulJWoodgate
Does anyone know if a US Airways operated flight booked through American Airlines with an AA flight number earns tier points?
They do earn TPs, but it will normally be at AA levels, unless there was an irrop resulting in a rebooking on the day. Until the end of June even if TPs were the same, it would be best to have US Airways prime codes for the Avios bonus, which one suspects won't happen in your scenario.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They do earn TPs, but it will normally be at AA levels, unless there was an irrop resulting in a rebooking on the day. Until the end of June even if TPs were the same, it would be best to have US Airways prime codes for the Avios bonus, which one suspects won't happen in your scenario.
Thanks CWS. When you refer to AA levels are you meaning the 20/70 TPs on US even when travelling on a discounted Y fare (whereas AA awards 10/35)?

I'm assuming that US with an AA code in F would still be 60/210?

Point taken about the special introductory offer.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by PaulJWoodgate
Thanks CWS. When you refer to AA levels are you meaning the 20/70 TPs on US even when travelling on a discounted Y fare (whereas AA awards 10/35)?

I'm assuming that US with an AA code in F would still be 60/210?

Point taken about the special introductory offer.
Yes and yes.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by haasha
Yes and yes.
Cheers haasha.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Just to clarify... Do flights operated by Mesa Airlines dba US Airways Express earn Avios and TPs?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by ringingup
Just to clarify... Do flights operated by Mesa Airlines dba US Airways Express earn Avios and TPs?
Probably, but can you give the route? US Airways employs all sorts of operators for their services, many of them have a relationship to US Airways similar to Cityflyer has with BA.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Probably, but can you give the route? US Airways employs all sorts of operators for their services, many of them have a relationship to US Airways similar to Cityflyer has with BA.
I can't get the flight numbers right now, but it'd be ORD - CLT - IAD
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by ringingup
I can't get the flight numbers right now, but it'd be ORD - CLT - IAD
I think that's US Express / Mesa on the Washington legs. I can't be 101% sure since I'd normally fly to DCA so I can't co-relate it to the previous Star Alliance situation. But Air Wisconsin does give TPs and Avios and they're in the same boat as Mesa. So I guess I'm 99% certain. Unless someone here has already flown Mesa already then it's probably difficult to get a more definitive answer. No point ringing up BA about it, that's for sure.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, AB Gold, Iberia Plata, Best Western Rewards Platinum
Just a quick update,
Flew a US ticketed (all Economy H and M bucket)
Apr 22 LHR-CLT (US Metal)
Apr 22 CLT-DFW (AA metal but ticketed by US)
Apr 26 DFW-LHR (AA metal ticketed by US)

Everything was under one reservation, but AA and US had different PNR's/reservation confirmations. As a BAEC silver, AA let me book MCE for free (but only through the AA website, using the AA PNR). US airways wanted to charge me $50 onwards for choice seats (no extra legroom, just nearer the front in Y, even airport staff refused to wave this charge so I did not bother as I had 4 seats in the middle to myself anyway).
Just to update, all Tier points (70+20+70) have been credited. The Avios Bonus for US promotion has not been credited yet, but Silver status bonus has come in.

The US and AA merger is still not fully connected system wise. DFW-LHR refused to put me on the upgrade list as it was sold under US Airways (108 code or something). AA seat selected via AA website manually (and using AA PNR) was not even visible on the US airways website, it just showed seats: --

So just confirms the big US and AA divide, but 160 TPs instead of 80 is a great run for Y IMHO. So roughly 5 days to credit is not bad. I might do the US ticketed AA metal bit again.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by unileeds
Just to update, all Tier points (70+20+70) have been credited. The Avios Bonus for US promotion has not been credited yet, but Silver status bonus has come in.
Thanks for the update. The extra TPs was particularly good since I'm sure an almost identical AA routing would cost about the same and get half the TPs. The Avios bonus may take another week to come through, it would be interesting to know if you get them for the AA metal.

US Airways doesn't currently provide free seating upgrades to oneworld cardholders, with the exception of AA frequent flyers. So the US equivalent to AA, preferred seating, costs extra regardless of BAEC status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.