Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is to help BAEC members use US Airways for travelling, earning and redeeming Avios. Your comments are welcome.

One obvious resource for more information about US Airways is their main Flyertalk presence, which is to be found here:
US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Merger)

The US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/default.aspx

The US Airways UK website - this allows you to pay in GBP, therefore avoiding currency conversion fees. Note that if you are a BA Amex PP cardholder you can also book via BAEC by telephone to get more Avios, however there may be a service fee.
http://www.usairways.com/en-UK/default.html
Print Wikipost

US Airways - your BA Executive Club guide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH *G, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cal_dood
Thanks! You are the first one to report any kind of TPs on usair! Do you know how long it took for those to post?
Hi, it took 7 days after the flight and the special promotion was about 5 days after.... Just waiting now for my return leg to post.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by BA_Pax
Hi, I can let you know my Tier Point posting(s) from last week. Flew DUB-PHL in J on Thursday and 140 points had posted by Sunday.

Cheers.
thanks for the confirmation good to hear

no doubt if anyone has problems not getting the full 140 TP we will hear about it here
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Matthew Bennion
I hope to confirm these 70TP soon also! Seems whatloyalty flew 5 days before me so I have hopefully no more than 5 days to wait for them to post!

If 70TP post, that surely wont be left like that for too long!

@whatloyalty did you also receive double avios? as per the promotion?
Hi, yes got the double avios and the special promotion automatically from ba (although took 5 days later)...
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Alitalia STE+
I took some small internals (FLG - PHX - LAX) over a week ago (3rd April) on CRJ-200 and A321 in economy respectively.

At time of booking couldn't put in my BAEC number on the reservation but when I checked in at FLG the desk agent put it on the booking and was printed on the BP.

I would expect at least 20 tier points from the two sectors but these yet haven't posted.....
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And thank you for coming back with these comments, very interesting. In addition to how quickly they posted (presumably no more than 15 days), could you also let us know whether this was a discounted / inflexible ticket? The reason being that if it was, the CLT to MIA leg in particular would be normally 10 TPs, though the BA calculator has not shown this for US Airways yet.

As to the poor quality of service - well this is an airline which is not going to exist in a few years time and so it must have some impact on staff morale. Furthermore US Airways roots were towards a lower cost model compared to, say, AA. However over recent years - and with the arrival of Southwest - the difference between them all has narrowed a lot, particularly in Economy / Coach.
Hi, thanks for the comments. I flew with T class which I believe is the discounted economy fare which was the cheapest I could find and purchased 10 days before the flight. So a bargain all round!

With regards to service, well at least AA recognises loyalty as the gold card came in handy when checking in.... :-)
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by bowlingformatt
I took some small internals (FLG - PHX - LAX) over a week ago (3rd April) on CRJ-200 and A321 in economy respectively.

At time of booking couldn't put in my BAEC number on the reservation but when I checked in at FLG the desk agent put it on the booking and was printed on the BP.

I would expect at least 20 tier points from the two sectors but these yet haven't posted.....
Flew the 4th and nothing here either yet. Another week and I will start to chase them!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: BA GGL + GfL
Excellent, that's the first confirmation I've seen that business gets business TPs! I hope you got more than 12,000 Avios too? Thank you, I will amend some of the early posts in this thread.

I've also made an Edinburgh to Philadelphia booking, and can confirm that the low level of surcharges on redemptions: £160 in Business in that direction, an almost incredible £1.50 from PHL to EDI in Business, same 40k Avios as BA. So from EDI to PHL and back to EDI, US wants 80k Avios and £161. BA via LHR is 80k Avios and £573.
Hi, I got 7367 avios for the sector. I had hoped for double, but fear not eligible as it was a ticket booked via AA which included AA, BA and US Air flights.

Or do you think I should got double for the US Air sector?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:38 am

US Airways Avios award availability issues on ba.com

I’ve spent the past couple of days looking for reward flight availability on PHL-YUL, and noticed that ba.com shows “no flights available” while usairways.com does in their ‘low’ bucket. Testing other routes makes this appear to be a Montreal problem – PHL-YYZ, DCA-YYZ, and PHL-YHZ show the same availability as on usairways.com, while PHL-YUL and DCA-YUL do not. It does not appear to affect AA flights LGA-YUL from what I can see.

Talking to the BAEC hotline, they see the same availability that is on usairways.com, so this is likely a BA issue. Filed a ‘website feedback’ form, but I’m guessing it won’t do a lot of good.

Has anyone else seen this on other routes?

Also of note, some US Airways airports are not yet in the ba.com system, like Quebec City (YQB) and Allentown, PA (ABE)
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't know about the YUL problem, though it wouldn't surprise me.

In terms of missing locations such as ABE, there is a well known workaround.

Say you are looking for ABE to PHL. Do a search for something like CLT to PHL in the usual way. Then when you get the Choose Your Flights page, look along the Outbound Flight line, and there is a Change button. Press than and then enter ABE like this:

You will see BA came up with the nearest location it could think of, which is Aberdeen in the UK, ignore that, don't select Aberdeen, instead press Find Flights and then all should be OK:

As you can see from the first screen layout, it's best to put ensure that your known destination or start point stays in the query untouched, so you can more easily access the area for the apparently unknown location.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:09 pm

Thank you for that tip! Question about the other issue - what are the odds that BAEC phone reps would waive the phone reservation fee if I mention that the website does not see that availability?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Thank you for that tip! Question about the other issue - what are the odds that BAEC phone reps would waive the phone reservation fee if I mention that the website does not see that availability?
They can check it, they have a mechanism of emulating ba.com. If they are unable to see it on that system and it really should be book-able online, then the fee should be waived. You can always ask them not to book it if there is a fee. I agree that something looks odd, in that there's plenty of availability from LGA to YUL. I hope it's not the Wisconsin equipment that is causing the difficulty for the computers, but I can't understand it either.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:34 pm

They can check it, they have a mechanism of emulating ba.com. If they are unable to see it on that system and it really should be book-able online, then the fee should be waived. You can always ask them not to book it if there is a fee.
Thank you!

I agree that something looks odd, in that there's plenty of availability from LGA to YUL. I hope it's not the Wisconsin equipment that is causing the difficulty for the computers, but I can't understand it either.
LGA-YUL is on AA/AE only. PHL-YYZ and PHL-YQB (thanks again for that tip!) show Air Wisconsin flight availability on ba.com, so that doesn't appear to be it. Everything I've seen shows just YUL flights on US Airways (although Air Wisconsin operates all flights into YUL for US) not bookable on ba.com.

If only there was someone at corporate I could talk to about it.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Great to have confirmation of the 140TPs in Business - thanks to those that posted!

I've also made an Edinburgh to Philadelphia booking, and can confirm that the low level of surcharges on redemptions: £160 in Business in that direction, an almost incredible £1.50 from PHL to EDI in Business, same 40k Avios as BA. So from EDI to PHL and back to EDI, US wants 80k Avios and £161. BA via LHR is 80k Avios and £573.
That's pretty good pricing indeed! I was considering an ex-DUB redemption on Aer Lingus but after factoring in the cash fare for EDI-DUB and the likely overnight hotel in betwen for safety it could be worth going the direct route. What was the availability like?

Originally Posted by BA_Pax
Hi, I got 7367 avios for the sector. I had hoped for double, but fear not eligible as it was a ticket booked via AA which included AA, BA and US Air flights.

Or do you think I should got double for the US Air sector?
It sounds like it should post separately within a week. I certainly hope it's still eligible as my upcoming HNL TP run is on US metal but under AA flight nos as it was booked prior to 31st March on BA stock so they that was the only way they showed up.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
That's pretty good pricing indeed! I was considering an ex-DUB redemption on Aer Lingus but after factoring in the cash fare for EDI-DUB and the likely overnight hotel in betwen for safety it could be worth going the direct route. What was the availability like?
For a solo passenger the availability was fine. I didn't even get as far as checking the GLA or MAN alternatives. I only spent about 20 minutes searching before finalising that reservation, so I didn't check in detail, but with one exception all the business class availability was for 1 seat. The exception had 3 seats. There are only 11 business class seats total on the service, which it should be pointed out is a 757-200 v4. I did notice that the BA alternative had a few First options open to me, plenty of WTP, but not so much CW despite it being an August reservation to a non tourist location.

I presume you're looking at a Boston Aer Lingus flight for the lower Avios charge? I can't see have Aer Lingus would beat the £1.50 total fee for PHL to EDI.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
For a solo passenger the availability was fine. I didn't even get as far as checking the GLA or MAN alternatives. I only spent about 20 minutes searching before finalising that reservation, so I didn't check in detail, but with one exception all the business class availability was for 1 seat. The exception had 3 seats. There are only 11 business class seats total on the service, which it should be pointed out is a 757-200 v4.

I presume you're looking at a Boston Aer Lingus flight for the lower Avios charge? I can't see have Aer Lingus would beat the £1.50 total fee for PHL to EDI.
Thanks, c-w-s - could be a good option for a wee last minute jaunt across the Pond (esp with GE at the other end for quick immigration and avoiding LHR on the way back ^ )

Shame it's not the A330 but not surprising I guess and should be OK for a quick East Coast flight.

Yes - the lower Avios (plus not bad Aer Lingus product and generally good availability) was making me thinking of going down that route with their Boston one, but this US Air one could be worth a look too. I'll be due over 52k Avios for my HNL trip with US thanks to the current promo so it'd only be costing me another 28k + £161.50 for a return trip, which seems pretty good value!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.