Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is to help BAEC members use US Airways for travelling, earning and redeeming Avios. Your comments are welcome.

One obvious resource for more information about US Airways is their main Flyertalk presence, which is to be found here:
US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Merger)

The US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/default.aspx

The US Airways UK website - this allows you to pay in GBP, therefore avoiding currency conversion fees. Note that if you are a BA Amex PP cardholder you can also book via BAEC by telephone to get more Avios, however there may be a service fee.
http://www.usairways.com/en-UK/default.html
Print Wikipost

US Airways - your BA Executive Club guide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 1:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sch7458
That double promotion doesn't count the TPs right? And also for a direct flight FRA-SFO with same flight number (technical changes in CLT) will also count as a single segment I suppose?
No, it's only the Avios which will double up. As for the CLT stop, that's interesting. It depends if you get issued with 2 boarding passes or not. If you get thrown off at CLT and return with a new boarding pass then I think you'll get an extra segment (there are some AA flights where this happens and you get 2 sets of points); if you either stay on board, or get "de-planed" but told to board with your previous boarding pass, then no, it's one load of TPs/Avios.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:30 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by danboy767
Slightly off topic so apologies but can anyone comment what US Airways economy is like to compared to BA. I'm due to travel to LHR->SFO and I'm more inclined to book them as a cheaper Y option now I can get Avios and lounges etc

Thanks
Transatlantic in Y (as long as you get an A332/A330) you will have a seatback tv, full meals, and juice/soft drink/tea/coffee. You will have to pay for any alcohol. You can also upgrade your meal for $21.99 to a 'dinefresh' option which includes a half bottle of wine.

As TBS said, in domestic Y, it's just free soda, juice, tea/coffee. Alcohol and food is extra charge.

Full information on Transatlantic Y:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...s/economy.html
Old Apr 2, 2014, 4:39 am

Programs: HH-D / IHG-Sp / Marriott-P / LH-SEN / BA-S
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No, it's only the Avios which will double up. As for the CLT stop, that's interesting. It depends if you get issued with 2 boarding passes or not. If you get thrown off at CLT and return with a new boarding pass then I think you'll get an extra segment (there are some AA flights where this happens and you get 2 sets of points); if you either stay on board, or get "de-planed" but told to board with your previous boarding pass, then no, it's one load of TPs/Avios.
I'll definitely change the plane (A333 -> A321). So probably I need to take my lugagge and go through CBP and recheck-in ? It's been a while after last time I visited US so I don't remember the whole process.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
Does anybody have any idea how many tier points you'll earn in J or P class on US Airways? They're upgraded business and first fares respectively, and are listed on the BA earnings chart as business and first, but earning 100% Avios. But then do you earn J/F tier points, or full-fare Y tier points, or discounted Y tier points?

At the moment, for my calculator, I've assumed J/F tier points, but will maybe have to wait for somebody to fly one of those fares and report back to be sure! (It's a shame you can't bung a fare class into the official BA calculator.)
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Well my flight finally ticketed. So count that as two direct US flights booked using Avios. One with Cash+Avios and one strictly Avios.

Both of our ticket numbers changed overnight. Both are still 125, but now my US PNR shows the ticket number and I can select seats, etc.

Who knows what happened, but everything now looks good on the US Airways site and that's all that really matters in my experiences. I've booked quite a lot of US reward tickets from US and UA miles and 1 so far with AA miles.

Good luck to everyone. I did notice I had to search 3-5 times before PHL-MCO would "show up" as I would get a lot of "BA and its partners do not fly this route." I also had to go on the website in a particular order: Executive club->Spending Avios->(Flights) Search and book a reward flight. Under any other way to get there, it would usually fail to show US flights. Ever since I've used Avios to book AA flights, starting in 2010, I've found the search tool to be finicky.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by orudge
Does anybody have any idea how many tier points you'll earn in J or P class on US Airways?
As noted in posts 2 and 43 there seems to be an issue here, which I'm hoping is a mistake. Business class is a relatively small part of US Airways offering, it's only on a few routes, and at the moment they are typically showing 70 TPs, where I would expect 140 TPs. I don't know of any other long haul service in oneworld that does this, hence why I suspect this is a mistake. J and P, on the other hand, I think are upgrade classes (and their choice of buckets is somewhat confusing since BA J is full whack Business), so it would not surprise me if that was lower than normal First / Business.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Etihad Gold, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by airb330
Good luck to everyone. I did notice I had to search 3-5 times before PHL-MCO would "show up" as I would get a lot of "BA and its partners do not fly this route." I also had to go on the website in a particular order: Executive club->Spending Avios->(Flights) Search and book a reward flight. Under any other way to get there, it would usually fail to show US flights. Ever since I've used Avios to book AA flights, starting in 2010, I've found the search tool to be finicky.
Thanks for the tip! I'm now seeing some AA flights that I didn't previously. Still, I am going bonkers with this site.

There are over a dozen US Airways flights showing on AA.com, but I can't see them on BA.com. I'm trying to book via BAEC call center (pray for patience, +1 hour wait times). Am I crazy assuming that if these US Airways flights are available and viewable on AA.com, they should be bookable on Avios?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Probably a stupid question, but if I book an AA operated flight on the US website, ie on the US flight number, will I earn TP's as if it were an AA flight or as if it were a US flight? I'm guessing the former since the BA calculator shows 0 TP if I select JFK-MAN and put US as the carrier.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Chandler Bing
Probably a stupid question, but if I book an AA operated flight on the US website, ie on the US flight number, will I earn TP's as if it were an AA flight or as if it were a US flight?
It should be according to the marketing airline - ie US if bought as a US flight number. I wouldn't be surprised if the table that drives the calculator hasn't yet been fully updated.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, PriorityClub Platinum, SPG Platinum

I have a trip booked on US Air via corporate travel agent website much before 31st March and it added my United number to the reservation. Can't figure out a way to change it to BAEC number on US Air website. I guess changing it at the airport is the simplest option? I went through the 'contact us' and requested and the automated message was - "we'll get back to you within 35 days"!!!!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by doodlehead
Currently in the US lounge at Tampa, gate dragons told me I was their first one world visitor, they got quite excited! At present no champagne report, it's way too early, even for me.
Could it really be to early?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by cal_dood
I have a trip booked on US Air via corporate travel agent website much before 31st March and it added my United number to the reservation. Can't figure out a way to change it to BAEC number on US Air website. I guess changing it at the airport is the simplest option? I went through the 'contact us' and requested and the automated message was - "we'll get back to you within 35 days"!!!!
Have a look at post 4, there's a screen print of the area concerned. Login with PNR (booking reference) and date of first leg of travel. Then under the flight information Amend Passenger Information, British Airways is in the drop down box (though not in alphabetical order!).
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:20 am

Yes, I did try that. In my case I see my United FF number there with no way to edit it.

I think in the example in post 4 it's either a brand new reservation, or it's to add a FF number if none exists.

In my case, as explained above, reservation was made months ago via corporate TA who added, rightfully then, my united number.

I guess I have to change it at the airport. I'll try calling once.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:16 pm

Called and updated - had to wait for 12 minutes, but worth the effort as was able to get preferred seats after the reservation was updated.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze; IHG
Is there any clearer knowledge of TP on US flights? In preparing to book a flight to the States and if the 70TP for economy us correct I'll happily forgo the free alcoholic drinks on BA and book US instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.