Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is to help BAEC members use US Airways for travelling, earning and redeeming Avios. Your comments are welcome.

One obvious resource for more information about US Airways is their main Flyertalk presence, which is to be found here:
US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Merger)

The US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/default.aspx

The US Airways UK website - this allows you to pay in GBP, therefore avoiding currency conversion fees. Note that if you are a BA Amex PP cardholder you can also book via BAEC by telephone to get more Avios, however there may be a service fee.
http://www.usairways.com/en-UK/default.html
Print Wikipost

US Airways - your BA Executive Club guide

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
For the PHL stop, my understanding is that you get two boarding passes for this journey. You get off the aircraft at PHL, then reboard with a new boarding pass, and you get re-scanned for boarding in the normal way. On US and AA when that happens you get two loads of TP and Avios entries. As a rule of thumb, if you get turfed off an aircraft and are expected to reboard with the previous boarding pass - as happens at SIN and used to happen in HKG - then it is still one journey, one set of TPs/Avios. If you stay on the aircraft, so no second boarding pass (AUH to Muscat for example, as well as the Caribbean and the Commair short hops) again a single dollop of TPs/Avios.

The domestic section is well over 2000 miles so it should be 70 TPs under the current flawed logic.
Just received the credit for US755 CDG-LAX flown in discounted coach on June 16th vith the PHL plane change. The TP silent promotion is still on but against expectation it is treated as a non-stop flight, so 11324 miles (plus status bonus) and 70TPs.

This being said, I was quite impressed by the seat comfort and legroom (at least in the front section of the coach cabin) on the US Air's 330-300. The low noise level within the Airbus is also a plus. The quality of the personal video is way better than what can be found on BA's aircraft, too. Catering, of course, is minimalistic although edible (how low are expectations these days…).

Last edited by albireo; Jun 19, 2014 at 9:08 am
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by albireo
Just received the credit for US755 CDG-LAX flown in discounted coach on June 16th vith the PHL plane change. The TP silent promotion is still on but against expectation it is treated as a non-stop flight, so 11324 miles (plus status bonus) and 70TPs.

This being said, I was quite impressed by the seat comfort and legroom (at least in the front section of the coach cabin) on the US Air's 330-300. The low noise level within the Airbus is also a plus. The quality of the personal video is way better than what can be found on BA's aircraft, too. Catering, of course, is minimalistic although edible (how low are expectations these days…).
Thanks for the update, from this there is a difference between the two airlines (US v AA) in how they approach multi sector flights, and US has quite a lot of them too. Moreover I've found that Dividend Miles would treat this as a single sector too.

I'm glad you got a modern comfortable aircraft. I've just rolled off a US 757 aircraft and that wasn't so uplifting an experience! The IFE (single loop on a cabin wide screen) now shows a pared down AA package.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for the update, from this there is a difference between the two airlines (US v AA) in how they approach multi sector flights, and US has quite a lot of them too. Moreover I've found that Dividend Miles would treat this as a single sector too.
This may be a throwback to when US were friends with UA and had some harmonisation in their FFPs.

A "one-stop" or continuation flight on the same flight number (even if it involved a plane change), on a through ticket, would count as a single flight in the eyes of UA's programme, e.g. UA919 LHR-IAD-LAX would earn miles as though it was a single sector and a direct flight. You got to know to avoid these so you weren't rooked out of miles, or to have each sector ticketed as a separate voucher.

Post-merger, UA don't seem to do this anymore.

I don't know if the separate voucher trick works anymore, this would be going back about 15 years.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Sliver
Anyone know what class code to ask for if I call US Airways and want to get a WT+ ticket? Will it be the British Airways class codes or US Airways?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by RyanEUK
Anyone know what class code to ask for if I call US Airways and want to get a WT+ ticket? Will it be the British Airways class codes or US Airways?
US do not have premium economy, so I assume you want BA operated US marketed flight?

Someone please correct me, but US don't seem to be selling WT+ under own code, even on BA operated.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by haasha
US do not have premium economy, so I assume you want BA operated US marketed flight?

Someone please correct me, but US don't seem to be selling WT+ under own code, even on BA operated.
Correct, and it's economy or First inside North America, economy and business for Europe flights instead of First. Having said that, US Business is probably a match for WTP on their somewhat unsophisticated equipment. As things stand, the cheapest economy ticket gets you top whack TPs, so it's not too tricky. If you're going down this route I'd advise US metal to be sure, US prime flight numbers, booked with US, and just include your BAEC number in the booking.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Sliver
Thanks for the info.

Yea it was a BA operated flight on a US marketed flight. It is a transatlantic flight, with a BA connection at the end. If there was a guarantee of the to whack TP's continuing until the flight (6th of July) then I would do it, but its my last shot at renewing sliver and was looking to get the WT+ to be sure, without paying the $2000 one way price quoted on BA.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Regarding the full TP and avios, does anybody have any experience with AA operated flights, but booked as a US flight number on a US Airways reservation?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Unfortunately I am going to miss out on my first business class experience on their "somewhat unsophisticated equipment" as I woke up this morning to an e-mail from their resource management team to say that my flight from BRU to PHL next week was oversold and would I consider changing my plans.

Having spoken to US Airways this morning while coming through the Channel Tunnel they told me they were overbooked by six passengers in business - which in an 18 seat cabin seems quite significant, so it seems their flights from Brussels are quite popular despite the 767-200 equipment.

I have been rebooked on BA in J from BRU - LHR and LHR - EWR then First on US to PHX and then on to FAT which actually results in more Avios / TPs than I would have scored with US. The agent actually suggested the direct BA fligh to PHX but I told him I'd lose out on 210 TPs for that trip and he was perfectly happy to book my via Newark instead

I'd actually say I was really impressed with the resource management team - proactive and flexible, and I get to fly BA too

Last edited by Geordie405; Jun 20, 2014 at 3:03 am Reason: Clarity
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Can anyone confirm that these flights will attract 20 + 60 TP's if I book now with US even though they are for October -

Flight 1 Monday, October 04, 2014
Departure: 11:50 Orlando, FL,
Arrival: 12:55 Miami, FL,
Airline: US Airways US1528 Aircraft: Boeing 757
Operated by American Airlines
Fare/Cabin: Economy restricted/Economy Restricted

Flight 2 Monday, October 04, 2014
Departure: 16:45 Miami, FL,
Arrival: 17:55 Orlando, FL,
Airline: US Airways US2057 Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A319
Fare/Cabin: Business Restricted/First Class

When I look on the TP's calculator, it shows 60 for first class but only 20 TP's for business so I'm confused as the the TP's for the return flight. Thank You.

Katie
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
AFAIK there is no business class on US / AA domestic flights, only first and economy. So you should earn 60 for the second sector.

I'm wondering myself whether US code/AA operated means you get full Y tier points...
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:22 am

I wonder if anyone can let me know what the tier points are for an economy flight booked through US Airways but flown via AA.

Katie
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by katie666
Can anyone confirm that these flights will attract 20 + 60 TP's if I book now with US even though they are for October -
This interesting. The outbound flight is AA, so I can't guarantee the 20 TPs, it could end up being 10 TPs, and the only way we would know for sure is the fare bucket that your ticket will end up in. The return in in US, that's actually First, and so that is 60 TPs. Did you also price the same flights on AA.com as well as US? If 70 TPs is ok for you then go ahead and book. If you really need 80 TPs then consider doing it the other way around (First there, Economy back), that would then get 80 TPs for sure. Or cough up First in both directions for 120 TPs. That routing is also making the best of the seating options too, the A319 isn't so bad in Economy, the 757 in First, well the seats are very wide, not so much leg room in the front row, unless the substitute US metal on it in which case D and F have extra leg room, but still way better than what is down the back!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:12 pm

Thanks for the help again. I need 80 points. The flights I mentioned only cost £222. The timings for the cheaper business flights are not possible on a day trip. We've decided to book the flights and assume that I will get 70 TP's in October, just 2 days before my TP year ends.
In the meantime, we'll just do a day away from NCL to LHR next weekend for £88 in domestic. I assume that I will get 20 TP's for that?
If I use some Avios to bring the price down to £68, do I still get TP's? Sorry for all the Q's.

Katie
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by katie666
8 in domestic. I assume that I will get 20 TP's for that?
If I use some Avios to bring the price down to £68, do I still get TP's? Sorry for all the Q's.

Katie
Yes that's 10 TPs each leg, so 20 in all. And it's not affected by the Avios throw-in. However it's shockingly poor use of Avios, unless you do a lot of flying and can't get rid of them. So I'd save the Avios for where you can extract at least 1 penny value per Avios, and ideally many times more than that.

As for the US flights, that seems a good way to go, you may end up with 80 if you are lucky, it will probably be 70 and it's not too expensive. Normally, if you book 2 weeks or more out, you should - in the United States - get Avios at below £2 each, and often under £1. If you constrain the options in terms of dates or routes - or use Main Cabin rather than First - you end up paying more per Avios. But it's tricky to get £3 per Avios in Europe (not impossible though) so you've done well there, given your constraints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.