Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Cranebank - 10 October 2014 [UK]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
FT Flight Simulator Outing - 10 October 2014
British Airways Flight Training at Cranebank

We are looking to organise a session at the BAFT simulators at Cranebank. GodAtum has tried them and did a report here. We have been recommended to use the 747-400 simulators and they have the latest virtual systems on them apparently.

Cost
For 8 of us we would be looking at something along the lines of Option 5 as shown in the BAFT corporate pages, so we would have 2 simulators for 4 hours and we would average 1 hour simulator time each. The cost on the BAFT does not inlcude VAT, so normally Option 5 would be £4080 in total (£510 per person). However, we have been offered a total price of £3400 so a bit more manageable £425 per person. As the cost is fixed at £3400 and remains the same whether 8 turn up, or say 6 turn up if 2 drop out at the last minute, I think these have to be firm commitments.

I think we would pay when we book and all would pay their share directly to BAFT. It would be non-refundable so if you don't show you would unfortunately not get your money back, but this stops those that do show all of a sudden having to cover any no-show's share. If you do commit and pay now and find in a few months you can't make it one option may be to see if a friend, work colleague, or other FT'er can come and take your place and they can pay you directly for your share which you have already paid to BAFT.

I will ensure that we are absolutely not going to be in a situation on the day where I am asking those that have come along to dip in to their pockets to cover any additonal cost.

Depending on the numbers that do now commit we can adjust number of simulators/simulator time to ensure we still have around an hour each of simulator time and the cost is still around £425 each before we go ahead and book. If only 4 go ahead and want to book then we will just do one simualtor but still have an average of an hour each and for £425 each.

Dates
The event will be on:
  • Friday 10 October 1900-2300

This is for 4 people on 1 747-400 simulator: KARFA, 12939, flatlander, and Toonfan.

Standby - papabear

The BAFT site and simulators are located just outside the Eastern perimeter of Heathrow. More details here.
Print Wikipost

FT Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Cranebank - 10 October 2014 [UK]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Mmm, very tempting KARFA but I can't say either way yet whether I'd be able to attend or not. Next year, definitely. I'll let you know soon.

The 747 sounds fun and using a Yoke is more preferable for me as I can't use a Joystick well. As I get older I find it hard enough aiming for the loo with my joystick never mind landing an A320 in a simulator
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Given those dates, I regret I would need extremely long arms to participate ... as I expect to be in the USA then.

Sorry
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Given those dates, I regret I would need extremely long arms to participate ... as I expect to be in the USA then.

Sorry
Sorry you won't be able to make it for any of those dates T8191. I guess we might do it again in future years if everyone enjoys it.

Originally Posted by PETER01
Mmm, very tempting KARFA but I can't say either way yet whether I'd be able to attend or not. Next year, definitely. I'll let you know soon.

The 747 sounds fun and using a Yoke is more preferable for me as I can't use a Joystick well.
Go on. I actually quite like the airbus side stick and find it a bit more intuative to the yoke, but I appreciate I may be in a minority.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
BAFT

If there's space left, I can do 5th, 12 and 26th, count me in for either of those days! ^
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATC_flyer
If there's space left, I can do 5th, 12 and 26th, count me in for either of those days! ^
Hi ATC_flyer. Absolutely, the more the merrier. There is no limit on numbers and I am sure we can work it out however many confirm in the end.

Hopefully the others that expressed an interest will reply soon and confirm availability, if not I will send them a PM in the next week or two.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:20 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
A quick question about cost, the more people that pay and come the better? So if 20 people pay it'll only work out at £170 each?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GodAtum
A quick question about cost, the more people that pay and come the better? So if 20 people pay it'll only work out at £170 each?
Yes, although I am not sure we could have 20 and only 2 simulators, and also if we had 20 we would have only 24 minutes each on the simulator - which as you know would go very quickly. I have been pitching this at roughly around 1 hr simulator time per person.

I thnk we could have 8 people for 1 simulator and that would halve the cost, but equally halve the time per person to 30 minutes. My feeling would be this is too brief although of everyone disagrees I am willing to change my mind.

If we end up with 5 or 6 though it may well make sense to go to 1 simulator to reduce the cost and have say 45/50 minutes each per simulator. For 1 simulator for 6 cost would be £367. If we had 7 then bit more marginal whether to keep with 2 simulators as the cost per person goes to £485 but we get 1hr 10min simualtor time each. Basically once we confirm numbers we can make a choice if we don't have 8.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
I purchased this as a gift for a friend and I would suggest that 1 hour per person is needed to get a truly full experience from it
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:56 am

Very interesting, never tried this, perhaps interested in the future.

Still waiting for my incredible secret Santa, declined Amazon voucher for a chance to fly on a Diamond DA-40-NG. 4 months later it seems like I should have chosen the voucher
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:54 am
Original Poster

I have just got an update from BAFT on the dates.
  • Friday 5th September - already have a confirmed event booked.
  • Friday 12th September - provisional event booked.
  • Friday 19th September - available at the moment.
  • Friday 26th September - available but, the Ryder Cup starts on this day so not sure if any of you are keen golfists
  • Friday 3rd October - available at the moment.
  • Friday 10th October - available at the moment.

So can you let me know availability for the following please:
  • Friday 19 September 1900-2300
  • Friday 26 September 1900-2300
  • Friday 3 October 1900-2300
  • Friday 10 October 1900-2300

Sorry for the change, I will also amend my post yesterday. T8191, would you be able to do the October dates

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 4, 2014 at 5:59 am
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: None anymore
I'm available on:
Fri 19th Sept
Fri 10th Oct

My only concern is the number of people who say they will come compared to the number of people who actually turn up. I have organised events like this before and there are always people who drop out at the very last moment.

I don't want to be left footing the bill for people who don't turn up and therefore I think payment needs to be made well in advance.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 12939
I'm available on:
Fri 19th Sept
Fri 10th Oct

Thanks 12939. My only concern is the number of people who say they will come compared to the number of people who actually turn up. I have organised events like this before and there are always people who drop out at the very last moment.

I don't want to be left footing the bill for people who don't turn up and therefore I think payment needs to be made well in advance.
This would be my concern especially as we are talking fairly big sums here. Basically I think we would pay when we book and all would pay their share directly to BAFT, not to me. It would be non-refundable so if you don't show you would unfortunately not get your money back, but this stops those that do show all of a sudden having to cover any no-show's share.

If you do commit and pay now and find in a few months you can't make it one option may be to see if a friend, work colleague, or other FT'er can come and take your place and they can pay you directly for your share which you have already paid to BAFT.

However we specifically work it I will ensure that we are absolutely not going to be in a situation on the day where I am asking those that have come along to dip in to their pockets to cover any additonal cost.

Sorry this seems a bit harsh, but I don't think anyone wants to turn up finding instead of £3400 divided by 8 it is suddenly only divided by 6.

Depending on the numbers that do now commit we can adjust number of simulators/simulator time to ensure we still have around an hour each of simulator time and the cost is still around £425 each before we go ahead and book. If only 4 go ahead and want to book then we will just do one simualtor but still have an average of an hour each and for £425 each.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:30 am

Programs: None anymore
Seems entirely fair and reasonable to me! Count me in.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 12939
Seems entirely fair and reasonable to me! Count me in.
Excellent ^

I will create a wiki on this tomorrow when I get home rather than have information spread across several posts. I'll send a pm to one of the mods as well to change the thread title.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

We have a wiki now so all the information can be kept in one place. Let me know on your availaibility for the four proposed dates please.

EDIT - and a thread title change - that was quick, only send Prospero a PM asking less than 5 minutes ago

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 6, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.