Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Cranebank - 10 October 2014 [UK]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
FT Flight Simulator Outing - 10 October 2014
British Airways Flight Training at Cranebank

We are looking to organise a session at the BAFT simulators at Cranebank. GodAtum has tried them and did a report here. We have been recommended to use the 747-400 simulators and they have the latest virtual systems on them apparently.

Cost
For 8 of us we would be looking at something along the lines of Option 5 as shown in the BAFT corporate pages, so we would have 2 simulators for 4 hours and we would average 1 hour simulator time each. The cost on the BAFT does not inlcude VAT, so normally Option 5 would be £4080 in total (£510 per person). However, we have been offered a total price of £3400 so a bit more manageable £425 per person. As the cost is fixed at £3400 and remains the same whether 8 turn up, or say 6 turn up if 2 drop out at the last minute, I think these have to be firm commitments.

I think we would pay when we book and all would pay their share directly to BAFT. It would be non-refundable so if you don't show you would unfortunately not get your money back, but this stops those that do show all of a sudden having to cover any no-show's share. If you do commit and pay now and find in a few months you can't make it one option may be to see if a friend, work colleague, or other FT'er can come and take your place and they can pay you directly for your share which you have already paid to BAFT.

I will ensure that we are absolutely not going to be in a situation on the day where I am asking those that have come along to dip in to their pockets to cover any additonal cost.

Depending on the numbers that do now commit we can adjust number of simulators/simulator time to ensure we still have around an hour each of simulator time and the cost is still around £425 each before we go ahead and book. If only 4 go ahead and want to book then we will just do one simualtor but still have an average of an hour each and for £425 each.

Dates
The event will be on:
  • Friday 10 October 1900-2300

This is for 4 people on 1 747-400 simulator: KARFA, 12939, flatlander, and Toonfan.

Standby - papabear

The BAFT site and simulators are located just outside the Eastern perimeter of Heathrow. More details here.
Print Wikipost

FT Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Cranebank - 10 October 2014 [UK]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by KARFA
TR here for future reference.
Thanks, KARFA! It always reminds me of what an impressive piece of kit the 747 has always been.

Are we supposed to be giving you guys scores for your landings?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Thanks, KARFA! It always reminds me of what an impressive piece of kit the 747 has always been.

Are we supposed to be giving you guys scores for your landings?
Thanks. Please no scoring though, I am very delicate and I don't think I could take the knock to my self esteem

Seriously though, despite the four of us all having various levels of experience I thought we all did quite well. No disasters and no crashes.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by KARFA
Seriously though, despite the four of us all having various levels of experience I thought we all did quite well. No disasters and no crashes.
I agree. Even if I did find myself shouting "Flare!" at my screen more than once. Although that was less embarrassing than when I find myself doing that on a real aircraft. ("Four inches back, two inches forward" is what the instructor suggested on my first go on a 744. And it's quite effective, at least when done by a novice like myself.)
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I agree. Even if I did find myself shouting "Flare!" at my screen more than once. Although that was less embarrassing than when I find myself doing that on a real aircraft. ("Four inches back, two inches forward" is what the instructor suggested on my first go on a 744. And it's quite effective, at least when done by a novice like myself.)
Thanks Globaliser, I'll have to remember that advice for next time. I don't think I ever managed to get the flare right - it is a much bigger yoke movement then compared to the 737 and I think you start it a little earlier as well on a 747. Something to imporve on for next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.