Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Cranebank - 10 October 2014 [UK]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
FT Flight Simulator Outing - 10 October 2014
British Airways Flight Training at Cranebank

We are looking to organise a session at the BAFT simulators at Cranebank. GodAtum has tried them and did a report here. We have been recommended to use the 747-400 simulators and they have the latest virtual systems on them apparently.

Cost
For 8 of us we would be looking at something along the lines of Option 5 as shown in the BAFT corporate pages, so we would have 2 simulators for 4 hours and we would average 1 hour simulator time each. The cost on the BAFT does not inlcude VAT, so normally Option 5 would be £4080 in total (£510 per person). However, we have been offered a total price of £3400 so a bit more manageable £425 per person. As the cost is fixed at £3400 and remains the same whether 8 turn up, or say 6 turn up if 2 drop out at the last minute, I think these have to be firm commitments.

I think we would pay when we book and all would pay their share directly to BAFT. It would be non-refundable so if you don't show you would unfortunately not get your money back, but this stops those that do show all of a sudden having to cover any no-show's share. If you do commit and pay now and find in a few months you can't make it one option may be to see if a friend, work colleague, or other FT'er can come and take your place and they can pay you directly for your share which you have already paid to BAFT.

I will ensure that we are absolutely not going to be in a situation on the day where I am asking those that have come along to dip in to their pockets to cover any additonal cost.

Depending on the numbers that do now commit we can adjust number of simulators/simulator time to ensure we still have around an hour each of simulator time and the cost is still around £425 each before we go ahead and book. If only 4 go ahead and want to book then we will just do one simualtor but still have an average of an hour each and for £425 each.

Dates
The event will be on:
  • Friday 10 October 1900-2300

This is for 4 people on 1 747-400 simulator: KARFA, 12939, flatlander, and Toonfan.

Standby - papabear

The BAFT site and simulators are located just outside the Eastern perimeter of Heathrow. More details here.
Print Wikipost

FT Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Cranebank - 10 October 2014 [UK]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:20 pm

I haven't been hanging around here lately so I've missed this event.

It sounds like a great idea, definitely something I'd like to do! If all the available seats are currently taken, you can put me on the waiting list. In case someone needs to cancel I might take over the space (and pay for it of course).

All dates are good, btw.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks papabear. I will try and include you if i can. Toonfan and 12939 are confirmed. My preference is probably for 10 October as well, although can do either. I am waiting on baileysserpant and flatlander - I will send them a chase up PM today.

If I don't hear from them soon (probably by the end of the week) we can go ahead for 4 of us on 10 October, so me, Toonfan, 12939, and papabear.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I can confirm myself on October 10th. Sorry for not replying sooner.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
I can confirm myself on October 10th. Sorry for not replying sooner.
Thanks flatlander.

So looks like 10 October - me, Toonfan, 12939, and flatlander.

As noted a few posts ago, we have been recommended to go with 4 rather than 5 just because of the pratcial issues. On that basis, perhaps papabear is on a standy-by list in case any of us drop out.

The only other alternative is if we can get numbers up to 8 and therefore have two simulators, so if baileysserpant comes on and says yes as well as papabear we would be at 6 and we would need to find 2 more. I just mention this in case anyone knows some non-FT friends they can rope in - we would need a confirmation pretty quickly though. This thread has been going a while on FT so I suspect all those who would be interested on here have already said so.

I will wait until Monday 9 June to give baileysserpant a few extra days, but if he comes back and says no or we don't hear from him, I will confirm the booking with BAFT for 10 October with me, Toonfan, 12939, and flatlander.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by KARFA
I will wait until Monday 9 June to give baileysserpant a few extra days, but if he comes back and says no or we don't hear from him, I will confirm the booking with BAFT for 10 October with me, Toonfan, 12939, and flatlander.
Excellent, thanks for organising it. Can you PM me with who to phone up and pay, or however it has to be done?

I assume this is the 19:00-23:00 timeslot? Clearly I must arrange to, ahem, work at the Slough office that day before exiting stage East to Cranebank

Cheers!

Last edited by flatlander; Jun 5, 2014 at 5:01 pm
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I did this as a Birthday present a few years ago. From time to time BA offer SIM time as a special "sale" activity. My wife and I had a couple of hours in the jumbo SIM for a very reasonable price.

I am sure all attending will enjoy this.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
Excellent, thanks for organising it. Can you PM me with who to phone up and pay, or however it has to be done?

I assume this is the 19:00-23:00 timeslot? Clearly I must arrange to, ahem, work at the Slough office that day before exiting stage East to Cranebank

Cheers!
Thanks flatlander. Yes, this will be the 1900-2300 time slot. Coming from the regions it means I only have to take an afternoon off to make my way down - actually I will probably fly down from LBA, may ask for tips from flight crew

I will PM everyone next week with details of who you need to phone to pay. I am not sure whether that would be the person at BAFT who I have been emailing or someone else, but I will find out.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I did this as a Birthday present a few years ago. From time to time BA offer SIM time as a special "sale" activity. My wife and I had a couple of hours in the jumbo SIM for a very reasonable price.

I am sure all attending will enjoy this.
Thanks Land-of-Miles. I have been watching out for a sale for the last year or two but there hasn't been any sign of one. I guess the simulators are so busy with commercial training that they don't really feel the need to offer a discount to the public to increase demand. Anyway, should be good to have a group of us doing it as well.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
I will be emailing BAFT tomorrow to confirm 1900-2300 on 10 October as above. I will get details of who we each need to phone to pay our share (£425 each) and send a PM as soon as I have them. Payment will be needed fairly soon within a week or two of confirming the booking. Read the wiki about the no refund bit as well - hopefully if someone does have to drop out at a later stage we can find someone to replace them and the replacement can pay you to buy your place.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
I've done 3 hours in one of the 744 sims at Cranebank. A great experience if you're into this kind of stuff. The staff at BAFT are smashing.

The Queen is a lovely ship to fly, just remember to keep her in trim!

Enjoy...
Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Wow, 3 hours on a simulator sounds amazing. It must have cost you a small fortune mjh0.

Just to update as well, I have sent an email to my contact at BAFT yesterday around midday to confirm 10 October 1900-2300 for four of us (me, Toonfan, 12939, and flatlander). I also asked who we need to phone to make our payements as well. I haven't heard back just yet but as far as I am concerned we should now be booked for that date. As soon as I get a reply I will update our small group by PM.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Hooray! We have a confirmed booking now for 10 October at 1900-2300 for four of us ^^

Our mini-FT do is on. I sure we will post a TR along with photos/videos from the day.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonors
The session finishes fairly late (after the last staff bus has left). Are the rest of you guys planning on staying in a hotel or shooting off home?
Might be nice to have a couple of drinks and debrief...
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toonfan
The session finishes fairly late (after the last staff bus has left). Are the rest of you guys planning on staying in a hotel or shooting off home?
Might be nice to have a couple of drinks and debrief...
I migh be persuaded to stay if you/others are. I have an early flight from LGW on Saturday morning but I could stay over near LHR and then get a coach to LGW in the morning. I will have a look at the usual LHR hotels this week and see what prices are like - if there are a few of us staying over for a drink we could stay in the same hotel.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Had a look at hotels today.

Jury's Inn (closest) - £49.50 direct or £49.50 via expedia with a further 10% cashback using TCB
Doubletree - £43.55 direct or £43.55 via expedia with a further 10% cashback using TCB
Premier Inn (Bath Road) - £29
Hilton T4 - £87

I think my preference would be the Premier Inn or Jury's Inn. The latter is within 5 minutes walking distance with BAFT, so you are basically paying £20 for convenience. Premier Inn is about 20 minutes walking or you can get the 423/285 buses for free down to BAFT.

Any thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.