Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Cranebank - 10 October 2014 [UK]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
FT Flight Simulator Outing - 10 October 2014
British Airways Flight Training at Cranebank

We are looking to organise a session at the BAFT simulators at Cranebank. GodAtum has tried them and did a report here. We have been recommended to use the 747-400 simulators and they have the latest virtual systems on them apparently.

Cost
For 8 of us we would be looking at something along the lines of Option 5 as shown in the BAFT corporate pages, so we would have 2 simulators for 4 hours and we would average 1 hour simulator time each. The cost on the BAFT does not inlcude VAT, so normally Option 5 would be £4080 in total (£510 per person). However, we have been offered a total price of £3400 so a bit more manageable £425 per person. As the cost is fixed at £3400 and remains the same whether 8 turn up, or say 6 turn up if 2 drop out at the last minute, I think these have to be firm commitments.

I think we would pay when we book and all would pay their share directly to BAFT. It would be non-refundable so if you don't show you would unfortunately not get your money back, but this stops those that do show all of a sudden having to cover any no-show's share. If you do commit and pay now and find in a few months you can't make it one option may be to see if a friend, work colleague, or other FT'er can come and take your place and they can pay you directly for your share which you have already paid to BAFT.

I will ensure that we are absolutely not going to be in a situation on the day where I am asking those that have come along to dip in to their pockets to cover any additonal cost.

Depending on the numbers that do now commit we can adjust number of simulators/simulator time to ensure we still have around an hour each of simulator time and the cost is still around £425 each before we go ahead and book. If only 4 go ahead and want to book then we will just do one simualtor but still have an average of an hour each and for £425 each.

Dates
The event will be on:
  • Friday 10 October 1900-2300

This is for 4 people on 1 747-400 simulator: KARFA, 12939, flatlander, and Toonfan.

Standby - papabear

The BAFT site and simulators are located just outside the Eastern perimeter of Heathrow. More details here.
Print Wikipost

FT Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Cranebank - 10 October 2014 [UK]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Have fun everyone.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:58 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
+1 ^

Thanks for organising this KARFA, not my thing but great to see people doing different DO themes!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Well I have just retired to my room from the bar at the doubletree near heathrow. I certainly had a really excellent evening and both our contact at BAFT who booked our session, and the ba first officer we had instructing us were the best we could have hoped for. I have taken lots of photos and a few videos and will hopefully turn it in to a pseudo trip report sometime next week. I will certainly look to organise this next year again.

Btw, we did discover a ringer amongst our number one of our small group seemed to have neglected to mention that they had very extensive flying experience before this evening and therefore set the bar very high! I can't name names though - and it wasn't me.

Last edited by KARFA; Oct 11, 2014 at 12:08 pm
Old Oct 11, 2014, 3:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by KARFA
Well I have just retired to my room from the bar at the doubletree near heathrow. I certainly had a really excellent evening and both our contact at BAFT who booked our session, and. The ba first officer we had instructing us were the best we could have hoped for. I have taken lots of photos and a few videos and will hopefully turn it in to a pseudo trip report sometime next week. I will certainly look to organise this next year again.

Btw, we did discover a ringer amongst our number one of our small group seemed to have neglected to mention that they had very extensive flying experience before this evening and therefore set the bar very high! I can't name names though - and it wasn't me.
Sounds like a great session KARFA, please do post the photos if you get a chance!
Did you all have a go at the Canarsie?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crazy8534
Sounds like a great session KARFA, please do post the photos if you get a chance!
Did you all have a go at the Canarsie?
Do you know, we didn't in the end. Should have suggested it. We did a lot of heathrow landings starting out easy and doing all sorts of crosswind landings, heavy turbulence, engine failures etc.

Right at the end our ba first officer showed us and failure on takeoff which he did as PF. I happened to be sat in the captain's seat at that point so worked as PM. Fortunately I have done a few in a 737 so was reasonably familiar with what I needed to be doing and so I didn't let us down too badly. The comedy moment was when he called for the fire handle for engine 1 to be pulled and I naturally reached behind expecting to find then at the back of the pedestal which is where they are in a 737, but not where they are in a 747!
Old Oct 11, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
A very good time was had by all, I feel. Certainly by me. I must thank both KARFA for organising it, BA Flight Training "Andy" for organising it at BAFT and BA First Officer "Nick" for giving us a great experience.

All of us landed successfully although I bounced it on several landings. I now have a more profound respect for smooth 744 landings - if you don't get it right, you're doomed to a very hard crunch or bouncing all over the place, not much forgiveness. None of us ".. landed in Terminal 4 like another group I had a while back" according to "Nick".

We had a very enjoyable debriefing in the Doubletree bar afterwards. Unfortunately I had to leave early the next morning.

I would definitely do it again - and next time I'll revise more of the 747 FCOM before I get there! Asking for the JFK Carnasie approach is an excellent idea, or perhaps the SADDE SIX approach to LAX (example video).
Old Oct 11, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by KARFA
I'll ask. I think I was told that the flight deck can accommodate 5 in total, so instructor, person flying, and three on jump seats, so I don't know whether another person can be crammed in. Do you fancy sitting on someones lap
I suspect you have to be strapped in, from the comments we got in the briefing. So that limits it to 5 people.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

I only got home this evening and have at least managed to get all the photos and videos off my memory cards on to my pc. I wiol write it up properly and post a TR. In the meantime just as a little preview here is one video and three photos:

youtube video of one of my approaches to 27L at LHR, lots of turbulence, low vis, and crosswinds.

Last edited by KARFA; Jan 20, 2016 at 3:28 am
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:03 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
That looks awesome KARFA ^^^

Going to have to save up and give myself a special treat next year .

Safe and Happy Travels (Landings )

S
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonors
That video brings it all back - what a great night.

Must add my thanks to Karfa, Andy (BAFT) and of course our pilot Nick who adapted effortlessly to our varying levels of competence.

A fantastic outing, made even better by our "sneak peek" of the emergency training area which I'm sure Karfa will detail fully in his trip report.

Sadly, as we only took off from and landed at Heathrow, we won't have gained too many avios from the flights.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:13 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
I am already bugging my wife to let me get involved in the next one whenever it may be now we are finally settling in to a house here in the uk. Looks like it was a brilliant evening, i will be showing my other half the full report as part of my begging, thanks for the pics to date. This reminds me i need to buy a pc and stop running fsx on my laptop!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:25 am
Original Poster

A few things to bear in mind with the video are that there is flickering of the graphics, but that is only because (I presume) due to the mismatch in frame rates between my camera and the projection, there is no flickering visible to the naked eye.

Also the other thing which really inmpressed me and the video doesn't capture is the motion. Obvioulsy it does pitch and roll motions very well, but the surpise to me was how real the acceleration and deceleration felt. On takeoff you really were pushed back in to your seat when you advanced the throttles, and on lanidng you did feel being held in your seat by the belt as the plane braked and slowed on the runway.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: None anymore
For anyone who wasn't sure, I can say that it certainly is an experience well worth doing. Everything is just right - the graphics are convincing, the cockpit is obviously real and the motion will fool you into thinking you are really flying.

It was a great event - and it was great to finally meet some real FT'ers, though I think I was very much the newbie of the group. I'm sure that will change though.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

TR here for future reference.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...er-2014-a.html
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:50 pm

wow looks amazing, that's one for the bucket list I think ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.