Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Cranebank - 10 October 2014 [UK]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
FT Flight Simulator Outing - 10 October 2014
British Airways Flight Training at Cranebank

We are looking to organise a session at the BAFT simulators at Cranebank. GodAtum has tried them and did a report here. We have been recommended to use the 747-400 simulators and they have the latest virtual systems on them apparently.

Cost
For 8 of us we would be looking at something along the lines of Option 5 as shown in the BAFT corporate pages, so we would have 2 simulators for 4 hours and we would average 1 hour simulator time each. The cost on the BAFT does not inlcude VAT, so normally Option 5 would be £4080 in total (£510 per person). However, we have been offered a total price of £3400 so a bit more manageable £425 per person. As the cost is fixed at £3400 and remains the same whether 8 turn up, or say 6 turn up if 2 drop out at the last minute, I think these have to be firm commitments.

I think we would pay when we book and all would pay their share directly to BAFT. It would be non-refundable so if you don't show you would unfortunately not get your money back, but this stops those that do show all of a sudden having to cover any no-show's share. If you do commit and pay now and find in a few months you can't make it one option may be to see if a friend, work colleague, or other FT'er can come and take your place and they can pay you directly for your share which you have already paid to BAFT.

I will ensure that we are absolutely not going to be in a situation on the day where I am asking those that have come along to dip in to their pockets to cover any additonal cost.

Depending on the numbers that do now commit we can adjust number of simulators/simulator time to ensure we still have around an hour each of simulator time and the cost is still around £425 each before we go ahead and book. If only 4 go ahead and want to book then we will just do one simualtor but still have an average of an hour each and for £425 each.

Dates
The event will be on:
  • Friday 10 October 1900-2300

This is for 4 people on 1 747-400 simulator: KARFA, 12939, flatlander, and Toonfan.

Standby - papabear

The BAFT site and simulators are located just outside the Eastern perimeter of Heathrow. More details here.
Print Wikipost

FT Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Cranebank - 10 October 2014 [UK]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Hi, unfortunately I dont think I will be able to come as I need to save up for my cockpit, I'm sure you'll have a great time though.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Hi GodAtum. That's a shame, I thought you would definitely be up for it - although I agree it is not the cheapest thing in the world to do.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:27 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Yeah I'm very disapointed I cant go but I need to buy 3 projectors for my sim lol. I'd rather make a definitely decision now then trying to save up and have the possibility of not making it.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Bit of a bump for this one. Sorry I have been quiet on this for teh ;ast few weeks.

I have removed my +1 as he has had the riot act read to him by his wife and can no longer make it. There are also two others who I am just waiting for a yes/no from via PMs.

We would need to pick a date and book in the next few weeks if we are to go ahead so if you are interested please let me know - it is open to all.
Old May 8, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonors
I might be interested in this but could only do 3 or 10 October.
I would need to go last as I have not done this before and would need to learn from the others :-)
Old May 9, 2014, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Hi Toonfan. Thanks, I have added you to the wiki. If you were going last you might be learning from me and the other what not to do!
Old May 12, 2014, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Another one added to the list now, baileysserpant is joining us. I am just waiting for one more person to reply to a PM to finalise. One thing I have noticed is that there isn't one date which we can all make it on - which does mean that picking a date is going to be tricky as some oen may miss out.
Old May 13, 2014, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Ok, I have now received a PM from the person I was waiting for and they can't commit at this stage. There are two who may be able to commit closer to the date but can't do now, so we will have to proceed on the basis that they can't come along.

So it looks like me, ATC_flyer, 12939, baileysserpant, and Toonfan. Can we decide on a date? Unfortunately there isn't one date when all five of us can make it. There is one date (10 October) when four can make it, with three on other dates. Thoughts?

The cost in the wiki is based on 8 having 2 simulators giving a total cost of £425 per peson. If we go with 4 now I assume we would have 1 simulator instead, the cost would remain at £425 per person, and we would still have an average of 1 hr simulator time per person.

We need to book this fairly soon to guarantee the date - within the next few weeks ideally.

Final call for anyone else who wants to join in!

Last edited by KARFA; May 13, 2014 at 3:41 am
Old May 13, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonors
Hi Karfa,

Thanks for keeping this alive.

I am in France on 19 and 26 September, so really can only do the October dates.
However, as a complete novice, if the rest of you guys want to do it in September I would totally understand.
If you do go for October, I am in 100% and will pay up front as suggested.
Old May 13, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Late to the party, but I am interested. I can do Sep 19th or October 10th.

If that makes an even (multiple of 4) number that's great. If it makes an odd number so the costs don't split well, then those going already should go and I shall probably try to sign up to another expedition in future.

Of course paying in advance to BAFT is the right way to organise the money.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Hi flatlander. I have added you to the wiki now. I think 4 is a minimum, but 5 would be fine on 1 simulator as well. The cost per person would be reduced a little from £425 to £340, but the average simulator time per person would be 45 minutes instead of 1 hour. Just 3 doesn't work well as the cost goes up to £566 per person () so I think that rules out the two dates where only 3 can make it.

Don't worry about not having any experience Toonfan. I am sure the BA instructors will quickly have you doing some fun stuff.

In order to maximise numbers I think we either go for:
  • 19 September - 4 of us - me, 12939, baileysserpant, and flatlander; or
  • 10 October - 5 of us - me, 12939, baileysserpant, flatlander, and Toonfan
Old May 18, 2014, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Any thoughts from the others on the choice of two dates above? Once we decide I will be confirming it with BAFT and we will have to pay up. I would like to confirm the date with BAFT by the end of this month.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Had an email this week from BAFT and they have suggested four people is ideal as only four can be in the simulator at once in addition to the pilot. With five someone would have to hang around outside and wasting time stopping it to swap over.

Also they have confirmed for four people we would have one simulator with one pilot at £425 each.

I will send a PM to all concerned as we really need to settle on a date and book now - which will mean paying in the next week or two as well. Before anyone asks - no I don't know whether spending at BAFT counts as BA spend for x3 avios on your BAPP
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: None anymore
I can make either date and am happy to make my payment as soon as we have an agreement on the date. I have a slight preference for the 10 October date, but it's not a concern either way.

Never mind the Avios, do we get Tier points?

Last edited by 12939; Jun 1, 2014 at 2:59 am Reason: Added missing word - 'as'
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks 12939.

Haha, I think someone else asked a question on tier points earlier in the thread. No tier points as although this will be on BA metal it will be booked under the KARFA codeshare - KARFA is only a oneworld affiliate rather than a full oneworld member. As with most LHR originating BA flights priority boarding of the simulator will not be enforced in any way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.