Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
    Hey folks, I just triggered my first ever BA Companion Voucher, complete with a celebratory email and prominent display on my BA account, but when I click on the info, the wording indicates that this is slaved to South Africa flights (!) - no such indication on the email..

See below

Is this normal?
    Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:11 am
    nux
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
    Originally Posted by George Kyriakos
    Hey folks, I just triggered my first ever BA Companion Voucher, complete with a celebratory email and prominent display on my BA account, but when I click on the info, the wording indicates that this is slaved to South Africa flights (!) - no such indication on the email..

See below

Is this normal?
    Odd, mine says the same thing. I wouldn't worry, I would guess the info box is pointing to incorrect information. The normal T&C's haven't changed.
    Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:49 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
    Quite a few of these seem to be going out, I was copied into one last week. Guy was very worried!
    Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
    Try and use it for a non south african destination and see how you get on
    Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:58 am

Got a rather urgent issue (as I only have 4 days to go in my spend year).

I thought I had cleared the requirement as last week I redeemed a 2-4-1 voucher, spending almost £1,100 on the Amex.

Yet when I check the account, it appears that this is not counting towards the spend requirements. Other transactions on the same day are logged and have counted towards it.

Is the redemption spend exempt? If not would a transaction on the 24th and 25th still count towards the spend (my end year is on the 25th) or does it go by when the transaction reaches the statement (which is a few days later).
    Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:15 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by garyfinny
    I thought I had cleared the requirement as last week I redeemed a 2-4-1 voucher, spending almost £1,100 on the Amex.

Yet when I check the account, it appears that this is not counting towards the spend requirements. Other transactions on the same day are logged and have counted towards it.
    Spend with BA on TFC when you redeem counts towards the spend requirement just like any other purchases, and also qualify for the double Avios because it's BA spend.

Does the transaction appear in your list of current transactions on the card account? And does the transaction appear in the list of transactions that have been awarded Avios (on the separate page that lists those)? From experience, several things may be at work here: BA spend has often been slower to post to the card account than transactions from other retailers; it then takes a few days for that spend to reach the Avios-counting list; and it can then take a day or two for the voucher to be triggered once the latter list has reached the spend requirement. THat's why you need to check each of the Amex website pages in turn.
    Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
    I agree with Globaliser. BA spends always take a few days longer to post in the transactions.
    Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: AA BAEC
    Hi, a friend has referred me for the BAPP card. I currently hold an Amex Gold card. I know that conventional wisdom on this thread states I can still get the bonus Avios, but at the bottom of the application page from the email link it says: "This offer is not available if you currently hold or have held any other Membership Rewards enrolled American Express Cards in the past 6 months".(My italics) Anyone ever come across this before?
    Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
    Originally Posted by bcfan
    Hi, a friend has referred me for the BAPP card. I currently hold an Amex Gold card. I know that conventional wisdom on this thread states I can still get the bonus Avios, but at the bottom of the application page from the email link it says: "This offer is not available if you currently hold or have held any other Membership Rewards enrolled American Express Cards in the past 6 months".(My italics) Anyone ever come across this before?
    You will get the bonus, my Mrs held the amex gold and got the BAPP 3 months later and got the bonus points.
    Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:49 am

Has anyone been offered a retention bonus for the BAPP? If so what spend level might trigger an offer ? Also is it best to ask Amex when annual fee due? Thanks in advance for any advice
    Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by sorp222
    Has anyone been offered a retention bonus for the BAPP? If so what spend level might trigger an offer ? Also is it best to ask Amex when annual fee due? Thanks in advance for any advice
    Have a look at the bottom of the wiki section of this thread.
    Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
    Have a look at the bottom of the wiki section of this thread.
    Thanks.
    Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Bronze
    I'm almost at the 10k trigger amount for my BA Platinum AMEX card however I have until April 2015 to hit it. I'm just about to start refurbishing a house so have plenty of scope to accrue some more spend.

In terms of maximising Avios, would I be better off applying for the The Preferred Rewards Gold Card to qualify for the 20k sign up bonus (which I should easily hit).

If someone has a referral link for the above card please send it through if you want some additional points.
    Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
    Originally Posted by Furton
    I'm almost at the 10k trigger amount for my BA Platinum AMEX card however I have until April 2015 to hit it. I'm just about to start refurbishing a house so have plenty of scope to accrue some more spend.

In terms of maximising Avios, would I be better off applying for the The Preferred Rewards Gold Card to qualify for the 20k sign up bonus (which I should easily hit).

If someone has a referral link for the above card please send it through if you want some additional points.
    That's what we do, juggling a PRG every six months or so between hubby and me and then adding 2 BAPPs into the mix. Hubby gets quite irritable when I make him hand over his cards and try and instill in him the rules to be followed! PM sent re referral.
    Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: BA silver.
    Trivial question: I've nearly decided to sign up for an Amex card (the no-fee one), but the initial page of the sign-up only gave me the title options Mr / Ms / Miss / Mrs. The only good thing that emerged from my PhD was having the title Dr and while I am absolutely not precious about it, because I never want to be one of THOSE PhDs, I like having it on my cards. Anyone know whether this is something that can be changed after going through the online process? Neither Google nor their site is helpful.

In case anyone was wondering: my title has never once gotten me an upgrade.

Also, if anyone wants to refer me, just send a PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.