Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Yes, used my LH Amex last year
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA IHG
Originally Posted by TonyBagnall
Does the paypal top up work equally well from an MBNA issued Amex as from a 'true' Amex?
and yes, I've used both BA Amex and BMI Amex and neither treat it as a cash advance so no extra fees. Got to be only a matter of time before AMEX sort out the IT on these kinds of transactions.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by cmcbugg
and yes, I've used both BA Amex and BMI Amex and neither treat it as a cash advance so no extra fees. Got to be only a matter of time before AMEX sort out the IT on these kinds of transactions.
Yes i fear that also.

...moving on. Besides the great deal of MR points given with this card. Are there any other benefits associated with the Gold Charge Card??

When i took out the AMEX PP+ i never even knew that it came with some great travel insurance benefits. I understand it is a charge card which differs to credit cards in terms of payment, however does it differ in terms of protection when making purchases with it?

Sorry if these are general questions, i have never owned or been aware of a charge card.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Bronze; Hyatt GP; Radisson; etc...
Originally Posted by Raffles
There are probably a couple of hundred FT'er happily loading Paypal cards from their Amex cards ... It SHOULD be a cash advance but Amex's IT is not clever enough to differentiate between different types of Paypal payment. Mastercard / Visa have higher quality IT monkeys.
... Must not be paying enough peanuts then.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Did you give them payment details over the phone or did you have to finalise your online application?
Nope - all I did was give them the reference number and they confirmed my application had now been fully processed and approved, and the card is being delivered.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
Amex called me at work today just to ask me a question about my credit report (my father who has the same name keeps making a cameo appearance on my report which confuses everyone). She said they will let me know within 5 days.

Like everyone else still no tracking.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 5:56 am

Smile

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Nope - all I did was give them the reference number and they confirmed my application had now been fully processed and approved, and the card is being delivered.
Exactly the same for me - card is on its way according to Amex, despite the e-mail saying it would take up to 10 days to review my application. So that's 3 Amex cards now, looking forward to another 20k points for #4 in a few months time!!!
Old Apr 22, 2010, 6:17 am

Same here, got the successful app call a few hours ago, can't wait to get the card!

Quidco hasn't tracked for me yet though, but it seems like it hasn't tracked for others too, so will wait. One problem is that although I started my app online, they couldn't give me an answer immediately, so I got approval by phone, so not sure if the system will pick that up as a successful online transaction.

Fingers crossed and hoping!
Old Apr 22, 2010, 6:20 am

Just wondering... for this extra points promo, which airline FF do you think is the best value, in terms of the value of points? I see for example like you can get 20k points with either British Airways or BMI, but obviously the points are worth different amounts... and I have several FF memberships.

Can anyone shed some light on the value of frequent flyer points?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
This is a totally pointless question in itself as you haven't said what else you have or where you want to go or in what class. It's like saying 'what can I do with 10p?' - not much, but if you've got £19.90 already you'll then be able to buy a £20 shirt that you couldn't buy before.

Fundamentally, a BMI mile is worth 1.5p and a BA Mile 0.75p (but this doubles to 1.5p if you use a BA Amex '2 for 1'). These are my own numbers but they work OK compared to buying J tickets for cash. It is meaningless, though, on its own. If you travel in Economy they are worth far less. If you only ever go short-haul they are worth far less. If you would usually buy F tickets for cash they are worth far more. Personally, I buy J tickets for cash - my own cash - so a fair comparison is comparing J as I would be buying a J seat if a miles seat wasn't there.

On their own, 20k is worth FAR more in BMI because you can get a one-way in business class to the US, Canada, South Africa etc for 18,750 on 'cash and miles'. 20k on its own in BA gets you nothing long-haul (well, a one-way in Economy to Dubai). Transfer 20k to Priority Club, though, and your 30k points = 2 nights at the new Candlewood Suites in Times Square, NYC - probably worth more than either of the above.

In general, most people use Amex MR points to 'top off' other programmes as they are so flexible. If you have some BA, some BMI, some Hilton, some Starwood, some Priority Club, some Eurostar etc already you may find the best use is to move just enough to each programme to reach a suitable redemption level.

Last edited by Raffles; Apr 22, 2010 at 6:39 am
Old Apr 22, 2010, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by cmcbugg
edit: I now see littlevoices post where this was already posted on the previous page.

It also says:

It's not crystal clear but that implies,
1) 1 normal point per pound + 2 additional points for Travel
2) 1 normal point per pound + 1 additional point for groceries + petrol

I'm sure travel is only 2xMR (not 3) - but possibly groceries+petrol are also 2xMR due to the first year bonus .... ?
Has anyone done made any purchases to see how many points you actually get for various things?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Same thing for me yesterday. They didn't want any additional info, just confirmed it had been approved and processed.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RAPC
Same thing for me yesterday. They didn't want any additional info, just confirmed it had been approved and processed.
And me, they confirmed it had been approved on the Monday after my weekend application. I asked why the referral, apparently they have some issue with volume on internet applications and communication with the credit check agency. No quidco tracking yet though..
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by RAPC
So how do they get the £95 from you
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
So how do they get the £95 from you
I would assume it goes on to your first statement. They already have bank details from the application process, so will just charge it as part of the first bill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.