Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2016-2017: The "What car/upgrade will I get at Avis?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016-2017: The "What car/upgrade will I get at Avis?" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
18-19May
Booked Full size, Fusion or similar.

What would be the likelihood for any upgrade? They seem quite full at the moment but out of a fandful of speciality cars only
Old May 15, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by papyPiHi
18-19May
Booked Full size, Fusion or similar.

What would be the likelihood for any upgrade? They seem quite full at the moment but out of a fandful of speciality cars only
At US airports with PC Status, I never get what I book, usually they allocate me a SUV or something as large as an oil tanker that I don't want. Which I go and ask for something different, and they always give me a muscle car if I ask for one and they have one free.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:04 pm

Full size car versus intermediate SUV

I'm a president's club. Called Avis to inquire about upgrade potential (hoping for two class upgrade) of full size car versus intermediate SUV at MCO on 6/22. Both are pricing at $70/day. Agent told me intermediate SUV can't get upgraded at all but full size can. Is this true about intermediate SUV? And which of the two vehicle types is considered the higher class? I booked one of each just in case.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC

Flying in tomorrow. Any Chairman members have a recent upgrade experience that they would like to share? Just curious what I might get.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:41 am

Where: Pittsburgh international
Booked: Luxury

I'm curious for a longer rental is there a chance I'll get upgraded to like a 3 series or something?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Platinum
Date: July 14-16
Booked: Full Size, Chevy Impala or Similar

Any thoughts on if an upgrade to the Volvo is possible?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:39 am

Date: aug 2-9
Booked: Premium

what car can I expect ?? Anyway to get a free upgrade or it's gonna be tough since i rent Premium ??

how do I get an upgrade ?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:54 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by somewhat traveling actuary
Date: July 14-16
Booked: Full Size, Chevy Impala or Similar

Any thoughts on if an upgrade to the Volvo is possible?
I haven't seen a Volvo at YYZ in some time. With a full size reservation, a Sonata/Malibu/Mazda 6 would be most likely, unless you find a way to sweet-talk into something better. Unlikely at YYZ, but worth trying.

Originally Posted by ser_98
Date: aug 2-9
Booked: Premium

what car can I expect ?? Anyway to get a free upgrade or it's gonna be tough since i rent Premium ??

how do I get an upgrade ?
I'd say Taurus or 300 would be most likely. Or possibly a Buick. As for how to get an upgrade, a few options:
1. Get status
2. Find a coupon
3. Ask nicely
4. Pay for it

Even with a coupon/status/other, an upgrade is always "if available" and not guaranteed.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: Avis PC AmexPL Hertz5str MarriottPlt NetJets NationalEE InspiratoMember
Smile SAT Airport

Just touched down in SAT

Booked Premium

App says BMW 330i
Would rather a 5series or X5 and they always have them here

anyway I can ask for a bigger one? I fly into this airport routinely and the service is always great but I dont know if they consider the BMW an upgrade already? Thanks sorry my 1st post longtime lurker
Its not giving me a chance to see other options either it says I am too far from the station. Odd

Thanks
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Fendi80
Just touched down in SAT

Booked Premium

App says BMW 330i
Would rather a 5series or X5 and they always have them here

anyway I can ask for a bigger one? I fly into this airport routinely and the service is always great but I dont know if they consider the BMW an upgrade already? Thanks sorry my 1st post longtime lurker
Its not giving me a chance to see other options either it says I am too far from the station. Odd

Thanks
That is 2 upgrades already? Honestly the new 17 5 series is lacking and would be happy with a 330i. Hopefully I can get an upgrade as a preferred plus and booked luxury in Pittsburgh later this month.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I haven't seen a Volvo at YYZ in some time. With a full size reservation, a Sonata/Malibu/Mazda 6 would be most likely, unless you find a way to sweet-talk into something better. Unlikely at YYZ, but worth trying.

I'd say Taurus or 300 would be most likely. Or possibly a Buick. As for how to get an upgrade, a few options:
1. Get status
2. Find a coupon
3. Ask nicely
4. Pay for it

Even with a coupon/status/other, an upgrade is always "if available" and not guaranteed.

If I link my reservation with my prefered account created after my reservation, will I keep my price ? 200$ for 1 week for a premium in FLL
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: Avis PC AmexPL Hertz5str MarriottPlt NetJets NationalEE InspiratoMember
Originally Posted by Closingracer
That is 2 upgrades already? Honestly the new 17 5 series is lacking and would be happy with a 330i. Hopefully I can get an upgrade as a preferred plus and booked luxury in Pittsburgh later this month.
And you were right, the 5 seemed crummy had 18k miles I assume it was a 16. They let me have a Benz GLE 350 (used to be an M-class) no charge but I've noticed it's highly dependent on the station. The Preferred counter/booth seemed hesitant but the manager-night time knows me from my frequent rentals and said just give it to her. He's also driven me back to the airport despite not being a chairman. Just PC.
Hopefully Pittsburgh is like San Antonio, they're stocked with luxury cars I assume because of the amount of conventions and golf events etc. Gl

Last edited by Fendi80; Jul 15, 2017 at 5:03 pm Reason: Spell
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:17 am

Hi,

I need some advices for Canada.

President Club
07/31 -> 08/11
Montreal Apt
Vehicle group : G (Chrysler 300)

I was wondering about group H which is also Chrysler 300..

For a roadtrip, do you suggest I rent a SUV?

Thank you for your help
Luc
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
DCA Pickup Rental

Does anyone know what the trim levels are on each of the pickup trucks? Looking for something with leather seats.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LucK
Hi,

I need some advices for Canada.

President Club
07/31 -> 08/11
Montreal Apt
Vehicle group : G (Chrysler 300)
Luc
Rented at YUL last winter. Booked full size. Asked to get a 300C assuming it was only Premium, but receipt shows that a 300S was a lux. YUL has several of them. I recall YUL also having several Impalas.

YUL also has Hyundai SUVs like Santa Fe. Only saw 1 Grand Cherokee last time I was there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.