Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Does anyone know when DL will move over to terminal 3?
There have been no reported plans to move any airline from T1 until at least after the "improvements" in T3 is completed (estimated Aug 2014).
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by yannix
There have been no reported plans to move any airline from T1 until at least after the "improvements" in T3 is completed (estimated Aug 2014).

So based on that estimated completion date......perhaps Aug 2019 ???
Old Sep 14, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by tentseller
One thing that I can count on in Philippines is that you can't count on anything: AirCon working, bus on time, PR interlining.

Count on picking up your bags upon arrival PR in MNL T2 and taxi with them to T1. Next you line up to get into T1, passengers only(make sure you have print out of ticket; there is a check for valid ticket).
Next you place all your belonging onto an x-ray machine where they are clear for terminal entry.
Next you check in with UA, get boarding pass.
Next you line up to pay departure tax of 550PHP.
Next exit immigration.
Finally flight security.

There are complimentary luggage cart at NAIA.
You forgot the boarding pass inspection to get to the gate area and then the additional full open bag carry-on search, third WTMD and patdown to get to the gate area holding pen since MNL-GUM is a US bound flight.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
You forgot the boarding pass inspection to get to the gate area and then the additional full open bag carry-on search, third WTMD and patdown to get to the gate area holding pen since MNL-GUM is a US bound flight.
Never had to do MNL GUM, mostly DL MNL NRT/NGO US or cheap PR MNL HKG.

MNL NAIA flight security is a joke. They missed my pocket knife but confiscated my daughter's three seashell which was her present after teaching poor children for a month in a rural village. They claim it was protected good and not allowed to be export. they then threw them into the garbage pail. Similar seashells (processed) was for sale in the Pinoy souvenir shop airside.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
So based on that estimated completion date......perhaps Aug 2019 ???
I think you are being very optimistic ...
Old Sep 15, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
I think they are trying to prevent people from harvesting marine life, not that you did. The shells for sale in the gift shop might me from china or other
Old Sep 16, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Something PR regulars should note: pictures of the newly-renovated (international) Mabuhay Lounge!

http://www.choosephilippines.com/sta...abuhay-lounge/
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Akiestar
Something PR regulars should note: pictures of the newly-renovated (international) Mabuhay Lounge!

That's good to know!
The ham in the pictures shown on that page looks pretty good
I added a comment to the lounge description in my previous post mentioning that it was renovated.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Akiestar

Originally Posted by KIXman
That's good to know!
The ham in the pictures shown on that page looks pretty good
I added a comment to the lounge description in my previous post mentioning that it was renovated.
Is that T2 lounge? The layout looks familiar. I hope there is room in the men's room to turn without "pissing" on the guy next to you.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:00 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by tentseller
Is that T2 lounge? The layout looks familiar. I hope there is room in the men's room to turn without "pissing" on the guy next to you.
Yes, that is the T2 lounge. (I wouldn't be posting it here if it wasn't the T2 lounge, right? )

If they were able to put in a shower, they should have been able to make more room for that.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There is a current thread on the PR Mabuhay Lounge at MNL in the Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific Frequent Flyer Programs Forum here:

New MNL PR / Philippine Airlines International Mabuhay Lounge (2013)
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: LH FTL
I'm in the middle of planning my vacation to the Philippines in December, which makes quite a good progress, but I'm struggling with sorting out the return flight. I'll spend the last days of my vacation on Palawan Island, but will have to catch an already booked flight out of MNL to HKG on PR, which departs at 2.30pm.
There would be a flight from Puerto Princesa to MNL (also on PR) which arrives at 10am, giving 4.5 hours for transfering. I know, nobody has a crystal ball, but any thoughts on the reliability of this particular route? Just in case the PR flight gots cancelled or was heavily delayed, there would be a 5J flight 90 mins later, giving still 3 hrs to transfer.
The point is, it's imperative to catch the PR flight out of MNL, because I'm booked on a flight from HKG to Europe later the evening.
That's 3 seperate flights on one day, with what I would consider sufficient time buffer inbetween, but I'm still afraid of doing it all too tight. Of course it would be safer to fly from PP to MNL the day before, but I foresee that I would just kill my time in a hotel near the airport, not the best idea for the last day of a holiday.
Any thoughts? Is it doable in one day or grossly negligent?

PS: I was not sure to post my worries here or in the Other Asian Frequent Flyer Programs. If you consider that to be the better place, feel free to move it.

edit: I just discovered that there is also a Z2 flight from PP to MNL in the morning, arriving MNL at 9am. So there are 3 flights from PP to MNL which should allow sufficient transfer time if everything runs smoothly.

Last edited by ex-koelner; Oct 1, 2013 at 12:59 pm
Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
I would say that it is not common for flights to be cancelled, but it is not uncommon for flights to be delayed for hours (or for you to be put on a later flight). All that being said, since there are only a couple of flights a day from PP to MNL, it is more likely to be cancelled than delayed. Sorry, no crystal ball here. I have seen a guy yelling at the Caticlan airport staff as he was saying he had a 2hr connection where he had to then fly to Hong Kong and connecting to Europe and they would have to pay for his $5,000 airfare to rebook! - Yeah, don't be that guy.

A 9am arrival flight into MNL will have you leaving PP early and your hotel super-early, so you might rule that one out. Palawan is a big island - not sure how far away your resort will be from the airport. Your PR option/strategy is probably not a bad one, considering there is a later flight on 5J. Note that flights do get booked out. If the PR one looked like being delayed, you would need to be quick and a little lucky. Depending on how long you the stay is in Palawan, I may be more likely to fly back to Manlia the day before. Staying in Makati (no need to stay beside the airport), see a few of the sights in Manila (no, there are not that many), do a little last minute shopping and relax a little is not a bad way to spend the last night in the Philippines.

I don't think that the phrase "things run smoothly" and the Philippines are really meant to be used together. In the Philippines, things run on Philippines time - they sometimes just happen when they happen, for no real reason.

Oh, and I hope your PR flight to Hong Kong gets you there on time also .
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: LH FTL
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Crocodile. On Palawan I'll stay in El Nido, so I have to come back to PP the day before and spend the night somewhere close to the airport. Showing up there at 7am or so shouldn't be a problem.
On the other hand, if I have to go back to PP the day before anyway, I could try to find a flight to MNL in the late afternoon and spend the last night in MNL, as you suggested. Provided that the vans from El Nido bring me to PP airport in time

In HKG I have almost 6 hours to transfer from the PR flight to the TK flight which departs at 11pm. And I hope they interline so that my luggage will be checked through. Keep the fingers crossed! But again, there are CX and 5J flights as back-ups if PR messes it up.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the roads in Palawan why not just fly El Nido to Manila direct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.