Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kevino (Post # 926)
Since you educated us on Sinulog, my trivia question for the day is why does Magellan get credit for the first circumnavigation of the world when he was killed by Lapulapu on Macatan? . . . I can give you a hint if you need it.
Originally Posted by kevino (Post # 928)
The answer is kind of related to Malaysia.
Quote:
While in the Kingdom of Portugal's service, Magellan had already reached the Malay Archipelago in Southeast Asia on previous voyages traveling east (from 1505 to 15111512). By visiting this area again but now traveling west, Magellan achieved a nearly complete personal circumnavigation of the globe for the first time in history.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Magellan
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:06 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Excellent SPN Lifer. Very good. You are a scholar and a gentleman. Yes, he had been to the Moluccas before several times, close to Malaya, traveling around Africa.

So my hint was going to be that although I've been to Asia (from SFO) more than 125 times, I've only circumnavigated the globe 5x since I only flew west from Asia 5x (2x on TK via IST ex-HKG on their PE fare deal), 2x via BKK and RGN on the RGN fare mistake, and once via CMB and AUH on the EH mistake first class fare.

The local staff in the Crowne Plaza Ortigas lounge did not get the correct answer. But then, very few Filipinos know which gate Aquino was assassinated at in NAIA T1 either.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:51 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by kevino
Excellent SPN Lifer. Very good. You are a scholar and a gentleman. Yes, he had been to the Moluccas before several times, close to Malaya, traveling around Africa.

So my hint was going to be that although I've been to Asia (from SFO) more than 125 times, I've only circumnavigated the globe 5x since I only flew west from Asia 5x (2x on TK via IST ex-HKG on their PE fare deal), 2x via BKK and RGN on the RGN fare mistake, and once via CMB and AUH on the EH mistake first class fare.

The loal staff in the Crowne Plaza Ortigas lounge did not get the correct answer. But then, very few Filipinos know which gate Aquino was assassinated at in NAIA T1 either.
It was not safe to know that in the good old days when it happened.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 4:15 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Just want to share our experience transferring from NAIA Terminal 3 to Terminal via Terminal 4 yesterday.

We arrived in T3 from Cebu with more than 5 hours before our MH flight to Kuala Lumpur. We left our luggage at T3s Luggage & More (200 pesos per 4 hrs per bag) and took a taxi to MOA for lunch and a quick visit to IKEA. Back to T3, we went direct to Terminal Transfer bus and reached the transfer desk at 13:55. We waited for about 15-20 minutes, then everybody transferring to T1 were told to go in first, after which those heading to T4 came. The bus was full, we left T3 at 14:22 and reached T4 about 10 minutes later (60% of those were headed to T4).

There were 3 luggages on top of Mikes luggage because we were heading to T1, the last stop.

From T4, the bus went to T2 where we arrived at 14:46. Finally, we were at T1 at 14:57. This is perhaps one of the most complicated airport transfers Ive experienced and hopefully, the winner from the 4 bidders who will get to rehabilitate NAIA (announcement will be on February 15 as of rappler) will make NAIA an airport the Filipinos can be proud of.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 8:21 am

There cannot be much rehabilitation because of lack land space. They only choice they had was ( I know that this was proposed in the time of Aquino) that they remove the Villamor Airbase and drag it past Roxas and reclaim land in the Bay and extend the road around the airport in the reclaimed land. It was turned down.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler
This is perhaps one of the most complicated airport transfers Ive experienced and hopefully, the winner from the 4 bidders who will get to rehabilitate NAIA (announcement will be on February 15 as of rappler) will make NAIA an airport the Filipinos can be proud of.
It would have been nice if they ran multiple shuttles to different terminals at peak times but I guess it's better than nothing. I remember the old days where the shuttle didn't exist and everyone had to deal with the taxi cabs (and their entrepreneurial tricks) and road traffic jams.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 7:15 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Davvidd
There cannot be much rehabilitation because of lack land space. They only choice they had was ( I know that this was proposed in the time of Aquino) that they remove the Villamor Airbase and drag it past Roxas and reclaim land in the Bay and extend the road around the airport in the reclaimed land. It was turned down.
The constraint in space is really a big problem, as you said. Lets just hope for the best especially wit the big task the winner will have

The winning bidder will have 15 years with a possible 10-year extension to operate and maintain NAIA. During that time, the private concessionaire will be expected to increase passenger capacity from 32 million to 62 million passengers per annum.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler
The constraint in space is really a big problem, as you said. Lets just hope for the best especially wit the big task the winner will have

The winning bidder will have 15 years with a possible 10-year extension to operate and maintain NAIA. During that time, the private concessionaire will be expected to increase passenger capacity from 32 million to 62 million passengers per annum.
Unfortunately this is pure politics. they know it too as there is simply no space apart from reclaiming land and everyone knows that it is not going to happen. Plus with the Bulacan airport already given out and the refusal of Bong Bong to make a duty free zone the idea is dead before it started. I am more worried about the politics of what is going to happen now with the attempt to change the constitution.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:40 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by yannix
It would have been nice if they ran multiple shuttles to different terminals at peak times but I guess it's better than nothing. I remember the old days where the shuttle didn't exist and everyone had to deal with the taxi cabs (and their entrepreneurial tricks) and road traffic jams.
organising shuttles/buses should be easy for them - NAIA officials love to post photo's of them walking through and inspecting - maybe a few of them should just fix this issue. And fix the website - its horrendous.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
organising shuttles/buses should be easy for them - NAIA officials love to post photo's of them walking through and inspecting - maybe a few of them should just fix this issue. And fix the website - its horrendous.
Unfortunately it is pure politics. Even the top management is pure politics and the concessions are strictly politics. I remember MNL being the best airport in SEA(south east Asia) and then it remained as it is without any upgrading while the rest of the SEA caught up. It must be the worst airport in Asean capitals at least now. Never seen the airport in Vientiane though so cannot comment on it.
jeffrocowboy and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Davvidd
Unfortunately it is pure politics. Even the top management is pure politics and the concessions are strictly politics. I remember MNL being the best airport in SEA(south east Asia) and then it remained as it is without any upgrading while the rest of the SEA caught up. It must be the worst airport in Asean capitals at least now. Never seen the airport in Vientiane though so cannot comment on it.
MNL is for sure worse than SIN. I think it's even worse than KUL.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
MNL is for sure worse than SIN. I think it's even worse than KUL.
It is the worst. Even HAN ( Hanoi) is better. I fly in and out of MNL a lot and it is terrible and the worst thing is that they know that there is no other options too. I mean the professionals and not the politicians. But they have to put up the facade.
jeffrocowboy and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 8:32 am

Yes, Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport offers a free shuttle service between Terminals 2 and 3. The shuttle is an affordable and practical choice, as it operates on a regular schedule. When you get closer to your travel date, it's a good idea to check the schedule and ask about any adjustments. Happy travels!
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 4:23 am

This is crazy I have a flight coming up where I will have to do a transfer.. I looked on the google maps of why do I need a bus and I saw why..
Old Jan 28, 2024, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by BusinessElite25
yes. after arrivals you'll just go left then up 1 level to domestic departures which is not physically separated
That's good to hear I'm going to be 4 hours from my international to domestic it would be PAL to CEB.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.