Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
The guy that I know is also located on Florida street, he will pay the "BLUE Compra Rate" that you will find on dolarblue.net, plus this guy work on Saturday and some Sundays.

The rate that I got on Dec 30 was 9.60 and I remember that the rate on dolarblue.net was 9.59 for compra (if you need to sell u$s) and 9.89 for Venta (if you need to buy u$s).
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by fedechat
The guy that I know is also located on Florida street, he will pay the "BLUE Compra Rate" that you will find on dolarblue.net, plus this guy work on Saturday and some Sundays.

The rate that I got on Dec 30 was 9.60 and I remember that the rate on dolarblue.net was 9.59 for compra (if you need to sell u$s) and 9.89 for Venta (if you need to buy u$s).
According to the website of the La Nación newspaper the "blue" rate hit 11.8 pesos to the US dollar today. "Imparable" (unstoppable) is the way they characterized the peso devaluation.

Although the Argentine government has accelerated the devaluation of the peso according to the official exchange rate (dollar sell rate is now 6.815) the gap between the official and blue rates has widened to over 70%.

The irony is that last year, as the gap widened between the official and blue rates, President Cristina Fernandez issued a blunt public statement to the effect that anyone wanting a devaluation was going to have to wait for the next government. Well, it's happening now as Economics 101 triumphs over left-wing populism.

I have a lot of friends in Argentina and I am sorry to see their currency evaporating like this.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
According to the website of the La Nación newspaper the "blue" rate hit 11.8 pesos to the US dollar today. "Imparable" (unstoppable) is the way they characterized the peso devaluation.

I have a lot of friends in Argentina and I am sorry to see their currency evaporating like this.
The day's not quite done yet, and references I check are showing 11,9 and 11,94 already.

Also sorry (for the sake of Argentine friends as well) to see this happening, but then it's certainly no surprise.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:59 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others

We got 9.8 less than 3 weeks ago. That's a huge devaluation in such a short time!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612

We got 9.8 less than 3 weeks ago. That's a huge devaluation in such a short time!
It's remarkable, really.

There are a couple of issues at play. First, it's January, the vacation season for Argentines, many of whom wish to take their vacations outside Argentina. But it is next to impossible to exchange pesos for dollars in the formal system, so Argentines resort to the "blue" market. Hence the demand for dollars is spiking which depresses the value of the peso.

Were it only that, you'd expect the peso to stabilize once vacation season ends. But will it? Maybe not. The other issue is that the government has accelerated the devaluation of the peso in the formal marketplace in an attempt to stem the flight of dollars from the country (the foreign exchange reserves of the Argentine central bank have just fallen below the psychologically significant level of US$30B, from over $40B just a year ago). But the accelerating devaluation causes Argentine importers to rush to exchange pesos for dollars to make their foreign purchases, since they know that the dollars will cost more tomorrow. Meantime, exporters are holding off as long as possible before converting their dollar export earnings into pesos (which is required under Argentine law). Both actions increase the demand for dollars and further depress the peso in the "blue" market.

This is not going to end well. But if you've got some capital sitting around earning zero interest in the US, just wait a while until the whole Argentine house of cards collapses, then move in to buy a nice apartment in Recoleta on the cheap. It will prove to be a good investment.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:38 pm

I should buy a finca in Mendoza...
Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by fedechat

I can vouch for this person 100%. Very easy and it was nice to know who I was dealing with across the table.

Just wish I had known that I could have made the exchange on a weekend (I never asked, just assumed I couldn't).
Old Jan 18, 2014, 7:05 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
There are plenty of Bodegas and Finca's up for sale in Mendoza. Just make sure you know what you are doing.

The wine business, as a producer, is an excellent way to make your a Millionaire.

Provided that you started out as a Billionaire.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 7:12 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
But if you've got some capital sitting around earning zero interest in the US, just wait a while until the whole Argentine house of cards collapses, then move in to buy a nice apartment in Recoleta on the cheap. It will prove to be a good investment.
Real Estate in Argentina can certainly offer some very good opportunities right now and in the coming months. You do, however, have to make sure you know what you are doing, and there are various details that must be taken care of properly and with attention to detail. Also, remember that Real Estate is considered the ultimate reserve value in Argentina, so prices in what is pretty much a 100% equity market are not as flexible as you would expect in a market that is levered like in the US or Europe.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Real Estate in Argentina can certainly offer some very good opportunities right now and in the coming months. You do, however, have to make sure you know what you are doing, and there are various details that must be taken care of properly and with attention to detail. Also, remember that Real Estate is considered the ultimate reserve value in Argentina, so prices in what is pretty much a 100% equity market are not as flexible as you would expect in a market that is levered like in the US or Europe.
It certainly isn't for the faint of heart! And if you can't actively manage the property yourself or don't have trusted local associates/friends it would be veeeeeery stressful
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
It certainly isn't for the faint of heart! And if you can't actively manage the property yourself or don't have trusted local associates/friends it would be veeeeeery stressful
What he said.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
There are plenty of Bodegas and Finca's up for sale in Mendoza. Just make sure you know what you are doing.

The wine business, as a producer, is an excellent way to make your a Millionaire.

Provided that you started out as a Billionaire.
You should probably consider a luxury hotel as well. It seemed to work out for a former investment banker (well one that worked for Goldman Sachs) so YMMV

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/22/bu...l?ref=business
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
You should probably consider a luxury hotel as well. It seemed to work out for a former investment banker (well one that worked for Goldman Sachs) so YMMV

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/22/bu...l?ref=business

Looks like my next project!

Though I wonder how bad it really is buying a small piece of land and just growing/harvesting a small amount? Not making a profit, but not losing money. Land seems to be quite cheap (compared to other parts of the world). At worse, build a house on it and have a place to vacation with great wine.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:40 am

Looks like my next project!

Though I wonder how bad it really is buying a small piece of land and just growing/harvesting a small amount? Not making a profit, but not losing money. Land seems to be quite cheap (compared to other parts of the world). At worse, build a house on it and have a place to vacation with great wine.
I'm in.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by johnep1
I'm in.
Me too, but I'd do it over the Andes in Chile where the land may be somewhat more expensive but the currency can be trusted, the rule of law (generally) prevails and the climate is nicer. The food? Well, let's just say that Chile is catching up, but not there yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.