Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AGR Insider
This is a benefit of being a Chase Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard cardholder and has been promoted in card aquisition materials. It may appear in terms and conditions for the card, but not for the AGR program.
I checked the Terms & Conditions for the card (from links on AGR site, and on the FirstUSA site), and there is no mention of this benefit.

Unless it's in writing somewhere, I would assume that it's not a benefit.

I am of course willing to stand corrected.
Old May 3, 2010, 8:52 pm

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
Originally Posted by nerd
I checked the Terms & Conditions for the card (from links on AGR site, and on the FirstUSA site), and there is no mention of this benefit.

Come on now, we all know AGR's real T&C are not what is actually printed. They get away with it because the whole program is a bit of a joke anyway.
Old May 3, 2010, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it would be nice if it were in the written terms on the AGR website and/or the CC written terms, but if AGR Insider says that being an active cardholder will prevent point expiration, then that's something I'm willing to trust.

This very issue was an SPG program concern until relatively recently (the SPG terms didn't reflect the actual practice/policy that using the SPG Amex would extend expiration).
Old May 3, 2010, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Yes, it would be nice if it were in the written terms on the AGR website and/or the CC written terms, but if AGR Insider says that being an active cardholder will prevent point expiration, then that's something I'm willing to trust.
I'm not cynical. But, either it's in writing, or it's not official, regardless of what AGR Insider claims.
Old May 4, 2010, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
This is a benefit of being a Chase Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard cardholder and has been promoted in card aquisition materials. It may appear in terms and conditions for the card, but not for the AGR program.

Vicky Radke, Program Manager
Amtrak Guest Rewards
Thanks, Vicki.

I have Amtrak trips planned in June and October of this year, so it'll be a good long while before I have to worry about AGR point expiration (and God help me if I am still living in Alaska in three years ), but it would still be nice if this benefit were explained officially in some T&C somewhere.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:18 pm
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Originally Posted by jackal
Thanks, Vicki.

I have Amtrak trips planned in June and October of this year, so it'll be a good long while before I have to worry about AGR point expiration (and God help me if I am still living in Alaska in three years ), but it would still be nice if this benefit were explained officially in some T&C somewhere.
Hi jackal -
We've updated the program terms and conditions on www.AmtrakGuestRewards.com to include the following under section D on Point expiration: "Points earned under the Program will not expire if the member is an active cardholder of the Amtrak Guest Rewards World MasterCard issued by Chase Bank."
Thanks
Vicky Radke
Program Manager, Loyalty Marketing
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Vicky, is it also true that traveling on an AGR ticket also resets the 3-year clock? The terms and conditions indicate that any sort of travel extends the date:
D.2 If no Amtrak travel is purchased, recorded or reported within a 3-year period, or if you do not make and honor an Amtrak travel reservation within this timeframe, your points will expire.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi jackal -
We've updated the program terms and conditions on www.AmtrakGuestRewards.com to include the following under section D on Point expiration: "Points earned under the Program will not expire if the member is an active cardholder of the Amtrak Guest Rewards World MasterCard issued by Chase Bank."
Thanks
Vicky Radke
^ Always nice to see it in writing.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Hi jackal -
Thanks
Vicky Radke
Vicky, you ROCK!!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:51 pm
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
Vicky, is it also true that traveling on an AGR ticket also resets the 3-year clock? The terms and conditions indicate that any sort of travel extends the date:
Hi nerd -
Only paid travel will reset the clock, a redemption ticket would not count. Thanks-
Vicky Radke
Amtrak Loyalty
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi nerd -
Only paid travel will reset the clock, a redemption ticket would not count. Thanks-
Vicky Radke
Amtrak Loyalty
Thanks.

Maybe the terms could indicate that an award ticket is an exception to the rule? It seems to be a source of confusion from time to time.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Hi nerd -
Vicky Radke
Amtrak Loyalty
Vicky,

I would suggest that you change the T&C's for that as well since the present wording says the opposite.
D.2 If no Amtrak travel is purchased, recorded or reported within a 3-year period, or if you do not make and honor an Amtrak travel reservation within this timeframe, your points will expire.
Using the word "or" clearly means that if any one or more of the stated actions takes place - purchased, recorded, reported - points will not expire. Since an AGR award ticket is both recorded and reported (it appears on the member's AGR account), and it certainly is an Amtrak travel reservation, the T&C say that miles will not expire with those actions.

Replace "or" with "and", and then the statement states what you intend it to state.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHLviaUS
Replace "or" with "and", and then the statement states what you intend it to state.
Not completely. You still have to fix the "make and honor an Amtrak travel reservation" clause.

Traveling on an award ticket satisfies the "making and honoring an Amtrak travel reservation" requirement.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Not completely. You still have to fix the "make and honor an Amtrak travel reservation" clause.

Traveling on an award ticket satisfies the "making and honoring an Amtrak travel reservation" requirement.
You're right.

In fact, I don't think the "make and honor" statement adds anything over and above "purchase, record, and report". That entire phase could be dropped.

Maybe AGR will offer us a consultant's fee for editorial review of the T&C's?
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
What is the effect of the new ability to transfer AGR points between accounts? Lets say one has a bunch of points about to expire and have no way of making an Amtrak trip to preserve them. If a relative creates a new Guest Rewards account and the points are transferred to them, how long are the points good for without Amtrak travel by them? Does a new 3 year clock begin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.