Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Nothing Could be Finer Than Dinner in the Diner" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Nothing Could be Finer Than Dinner in the Diner" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Train: 48 (Lakeshore Limited)
Class: Sleeper
Where: Dining Car
When: December 21, Lunch

Went with the pork shanks which were really good, though a little messy. Vegetables were typical cafeteria style watterlogged crap though

Desserts were ice cream, cheesecake or chocolate torte. I did like that the dining car attendant covered both the cake and the ice cream in strawberries, it was a nice touch.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Train: 422 (Texas Eagle)
When: January 7, Breakfast

Described as the "Conductor's Special". Two eggs (scrambled only), potatoes, two pancakes and bacon. Really, really good in fact.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:37 am

When: January 7, Lunch

Can't beat that Amburger! Special was a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich. Other desserts were strawberry cheesecake, chocolate mousse or vanilla pudding.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:39 am

When: January 7, Dinner

Really liking the larger salads

Caramelized onions were way better this time, though I miss the larger steaks

Cooked very well, thank you

Strawberry cheesecake continues to disappoint
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:41 am

When: January 8, Breakfast

New diner this time, attached in San Antonio

Same menu, though when I asked what the special was I was told "there are no specials"

Bigger pancakes at least, very good too
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:42 am

When: January 8, Lunch

We were told they were out of lunch side salads. Even so, this is probably the best Amtrak lunch I've had.

The ice cream quality also dropped significantly.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Train: 58 (Northbound City of New Orleans)
When: January 9, Continental Breakfast

This was our second trip on this route, and our previous trip had been southbound. We were surprised at the announcement that the dining car was essentially a one-person show. The same employee seated us, took our orders, prepared our meals, and delivered them to us, hustling all the way. As advertised, it was a continental breakfast.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Fredd; Jan 12, 2016 at 9:53 am
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Train: 22 (Northbound Texas Eagle)
When: January 9, Dinner

I normally order my AmSteaks medium, but I decided to go for medium rare tonight (this was announced on the PA as being a "tenderloin filet" rather than the normal flat-iron steak). Either the grill quit working early or my chef really liked to go for the rare side of medium rare:

Thank God for flooding in Arkansas! (Apologies to those who were affected by it.) Apparently my train and crew were Chicago-based but stuck on the south side of the bus bridge for almost three weeks, and since their supply depot is in Chicago, they had to get creative when they started running out of goods. Oddly, instead of Amtrak shipping supplies to SAS via another route or by air cargo, they authorized the LSA to just go shopping at a local HEB in San Antonio. This throwback to a few years ago before budget cuts was the delectable result:

Good crew and good dining company--a good trip!
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
HEB and Amtrak

Good stuff Jackal! As the commercials here in Texas say:" Nobody does it better than my HEB!"

I remember when the Diner Crews on the Texas Eagle used to overnight in Austin instead of San Antonio and the crew would all show up for #22 in tbe mornings with their Green HEB Shopping bags full of goodies!

Since I was a regular rider and knew them all, I often shared meals with them and the chefs could whip out some first class chow!

Those were the days my friend! Sigh.

Last edited by AlanB; Jan 18, 2016 at 6:46 pm
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Acela Express 2128 F, WAS-NYP, 1/21/16

I appreciate how the Acela F menu takes some chances. Dinner tonight:

WILD PACIFIC SOLE STUFFED WITH SHRIMP & MONTEREY
Sole fillet stuffed with bay shrimp, Monterey cheese, onions, garlic and chives served with Forbidden rice, broccolini and lemon buerre blanc
The shrimp were a little hard to find inside the rest of the cheesy goodness in the sole, and the filet itself had a slightly fishy taste (so my wife would totally not approve of it!), but overall this was a good addition to the dinner menu that I'd get again. The picture doesn't show that I cleaned the plate with the last of the bread, but that definitely happened.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Coast Starlight, May 2015

I just discovered this thread while searching the forum for something else. What a great idea. Here are my contributions and I'll add the Zephyr later this year.

Train: Southbound Coast Starlight
Where: Parlor Car
When: May 2015, Lunch

Lunch with a view south of Kelso, Washington. Caesaer salad. I also had this for lunch the following day.

The lunch view from the Parlor Car, south of Kelso, Washington.

Train: Southbound Coast Starlight
When: May 2015, Breakfast

The only meal I took in the actual dining car as the parlor car was just too much fun.

Breakfast menu

Breakfast menu. Was the same as Parlor car, I think

Thanks to the menu photo above, I recall this was called railroad french toast. I did remember this being delicious though.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I'm certainly looking forward to breakfast (multiple times) in less than 2 months.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:41 pm

Always glad to see one of my favorite threads get a bump, thanks for the contributions travellingcari!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
No pictures, unfortunately, but today's lunch special was a pair of chicken sliders. Mmm, I thought: something different.

I'm pretty sure sliders aren't supposed to be cold.

, though made slightly better by drenching the sandwich in Newman's Own Lite Italian dressing...

Dinner's in 20 minutes and I have no clue how I'm going to fit it, but I will find a way to do so and attempt to remember to document it!
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I don't know if this just applies to my recent trip, but I took the Crescent from Charlottesville to NY Penn Station and the meals both directions were a definite step down from previous meals. There was no menu and just two option given for each of the meals. Highly disappointing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.