Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2017?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2017?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by emcnj
I pay my balances in full, very often, before the statement close date, so rarely do I go over 1% utilization ever - only in the event I have a large purchase post on the date of my closing.
^^

Same.

Best strategy ever!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:59 pm

so how long have you been pulling 4 million with 500k luxury spend? That seems like you definitely should qualify. My 1 mil a year of business and luxury spend isnt going to cut it then? lol Maybe i should just stick to my csr
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:11 am

And that's exactly why we're saying it doesn't have anything to do with total # spent per year anymore.

There's some minimum threshold, but hitting / exceeding that no longer actually impacts things as much as it used to (used to be you hit $250k and you almost automatically get invited).
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by jstbrwsing
so how long have you been pulling 4 million with 500k luxury spend? That seems like you definitely should qualify. My 1 mil a year of business and luxury spend isnt going to cut it then? lol Maybe i should just stick to my csr
Those were my 2016 numbers. 2015 was prob 2M/250k luxury, and 2014 was 1.2M/50k luxury or so. The growth trajectory over the past 3 years has been significant.

I talked to a friend who has both a business and personal, and he said AMEX has been very frugal with extending invites these past few years.

My AMEX rep got promoted and I got assigned a new one who I have a meeting with this week. I will be inquiring again with him and if I get any additional feedback will post here.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:17 am

500k per year on lux goods

and you are still worried about getting a black card? Anyone I know with that kind of cash couldnt care less about the black card status. Take your 4 M a year of spend Biz to BOA and u can get over 2% in cash back.

Pretty much a guarantee you have to have to spend over a million a year to get one.

For those that say say fico doesn't matter rack up a good balance on Amex....say over 100k in a month. Then let another one of your cards close with a balance (upping your revolving ratios) and I can guarantee you that Amex will be calling. Not that they will do anything but they will ask questions.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
i guess that doesnt bode well for my chances than. I am probably only going over 1 million this year.
Over $2 million in charges on the personal card over the past 24 or so months and no invite. Not that I'd get it even if invited, unless the fees were waived. Regardless of what Amex decides, my spending has shifted to other cards since adding more to a too big Amex MR balance really isn't something I find useful.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:58 am

Lots of interesting discussion and viewpoints.
I can tell you as a Cent that several metrics being stated didn't apply when I was invited, however i realize things can change.
I feel that it is a mix of personal spend type (upscale travel for eg), a very solid credit score, and oddly enough not hounding them for one.
Having said this i do have a question.......and i might take some heat for this......but why does everyone want one with the benefits being pared down to basically that of a Plat? (for basic Cent).
(and of course there are basic Cent's and several higher levels i have been told.....not all Cent's are the same).....
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:09 am

what can I say, I like options lol
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bizorbetter
...why does everyone want one with the benefits being pared down to basically that of a Plat? ...
This is a recurring topic that has been treated in recent years. There are a range of explanations, based on individual travel patterns which extract value from specific benefits, to peer groups where a Centurion is the norm:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...am-2016-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...am-2015-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-thoughts.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ys-2015-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...am-2014-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rion-card.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...am-2013-a.html
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:40 am

what can I say, I like options lol
lol....gotcha
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by mia
fair enough and i have seen many of these threads........the only defense i have is that the loss of benefits have been fairly recent so some of those threads are before they were basically equivalent cards. (and i believe the initiation fee has increased).
But yes, i get the fact that in some circles it may be a peer issue, good point.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bizorbetter
fair enough and i have seen many of these threads........
I am not suggesting that others are unwilling to have the discussion again, just providing a roadmap to previous threads.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:02 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by mileschlinger
and you are still worried about getting a black card? Anyone I know with that kind of cash couldnt care less about the black card status. Take your 4 M a year of spend Biz to BOA and u can get over 2% in cash back.

Pretty much a guarantee you have to have to spend over a million a year to get one.

For those that say say fico doesn't matter rack up a good balance on Amex....say over 100k in a month. Then let another one of your cards close with a balance (upping your revolving ratios) and I can guarantee you that Amex will be calling. Not that they will do anything but they will ask questions.
I'm really not sure how to respond to the first half of this. Yes, I still want a black card, and yes its purely for superficial reasons. The perks, points, cash back, etc does not really resonate. I am sure there is a large amount of people out there with "that kind of cash" who don't in fact care about the black card - but I guess thats why they are not in this thread, right?

For the record, I ran over 1M+ through BOA on a completely separate venture last year, mainly on a rewards card and the amount of screw ups I've had with customer service and fraud alerts were enough for me to pull the plug on it completely and switch to another corporate purchasing option.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:17 pm

I have to second that. I think BofA is a joke and by far the worst. They have no idea about the needs of a business owner. I guess thats also why they are the second most hated company in America lol
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
FICO doesn't matter. I doubt the average Cent holder even looks at their report or knows their score.

I think these days it's about who rather than how much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.