Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2017?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2017?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Originally Posted by darrvao777
I would assume the support line is top notch
sorry to disappoint you, but this is not the case.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by tangfish
sorry to disappoint you, but this is not the case.
Tell me about it! I'm fortunate to have a dedicated relationship manager (RM) for my US Centurion Card (likewise for my UK Centurion card), and they are good at providing service and being proactive. However when they are not available during core business hours, it's a game of lucky dip.

For instance, I called last Sunday to get some quotes and make a FHR booking (there was some disparity with the FHR website) and it was a bit poor - first person that answered the phone had to get me to a travel person, the person that they transferred me to proceeded to tell me that they couldn't help me 'as they were not allowed to talk to Centurion customers, they could only help Platinum customers', so they transferred me to a third person who was allowed to speak to Centurion customers (but in sad irony, shouldn't be permitted to as they didn't know the benefits and quoted me incorrect prices compared to what was showing online). So I gave up and waited until the next day when my RM was back, and she got it booked and confirmed with the correct pricing in a timely and efficient manner.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:01 am

Travel - hit/miss

Originally Posted by RichardMannion
Tell me about it! I'm fortunate to have a dedicated relationship manager (RM) for my US Centurion Card (likewise for my UK Centurion card), and they are good at providing service and being proactive. However when they are not available during core business hours, it's a game of lucky dip.

For instance, I called last Sunday to get some quotes and make a FHR booking (there was some disparity with the FHR website) and it was a bit poor - first person that answered the phone had to get me to a travel person, the person that they transferred me to proceeded to tell me that they couldn't help me 'as they were not allowed to talk to Centurion customers, they could only help Platinum customers', so they transferred me to a third person who was allowed to speak to Centurion customers (but in sad irony, shouldn't be permitted to as they didn't know the benefits and quoted me incorrect prices compared to what was showing online). So I gave up and waited until the next day when my RM was back, and she got it booked and confirmed with the correct pricing in a timely and efficient manner.
Unfortnately (and frustratingly) it is always hit or miss with travel. Some are just useless (and that's being kind). I usually make an excuse and call back. Others are aces (and while they give you their extension) you can never get them back again. That's the bad part of the travel component.

Regular customer service - on the other hand - is usually good.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: MS Plat
The thread went a quite bit off topic here...

My 2016 was yet another year (3rd in a row) of $250K+ on MS Plat. Spending was all over the place, from flight/hotel booking/lux spending to grocery/coffee shops. Planning to call end of month and ask a few Q.

Anyone got lucky to get an invite thus far? Any info?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:11 pm

Call away!

Originally Posted by speculatus
The thread went a quite bit off topic here...

My 2016 was yet another year (3rd in a row) of $250K+ on MS Plat. Spending was all over the place, from flight/hotel booking/lux spending to grocery/coffee shops. Planning to call end of month and ask a few Q.

Anyone got lucky to get an invite thus far? Any info?
They may transfer you - thank you for your call - tell you that it has been notated - and that's it. Standard lip service. And when you call a year later - they willl recognize - apologize - same bs.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: MS Plat
Originally Posted by csesq
They may transfer you - thank you for your call - tell you that it has been notated - and that's it. Standard lip service. And when you call a year later - they will recognize - apologize - same bs.
I know, has happened twice already (2015, 2016)
Will try last time, ask a few questions like whether is 250k is too little, not enough spending on certain categories, etc.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by speculatus
I know, has happened twice already (2015, 2016)
Will try last time, ask a few questions like whether is 250k is too little, not enough spending on certain categories, etc.
I tried this year already.

They said they haven't done their review yet of accounts in 2017 for Centurion eligibility. They said they would not release any information as to the criteria for getting the card either.

Or maybe I'm not important enough to be provided with those details.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: Various
I've had US Centurion for nearly a year now, and have had a UK Centurion card since 2001 so have the ability to compare and contrast between the markets. The US version seems mired in the cards apparent desirability. I've found the team that manage it to think it's an amazing product and there is clearly a line of people that want the card and I'm trying to see what it is they think they will get by having it.

Not all Centurion US accounts are equal, yet the fee is. I was given a relationship manager (RM) on my US account because I have one in the UK - my understanding is that only a subsection of cardholders get allocated one. Problem is that they are East Coast based so I'm always out three hours given I live on the West Coast.

I've mailed my UK and US RM's the same request for stuff like car rental, and watched as I get back different quotes (that aren't even remotely close in some instances), with the UK always been cheaper.

US Centurion you have to pay for supp cards, you get a certain number included in UK/ICC. It's odd that in the UK the Centurion card is eligible for all offers and benefits (or higher) that are offered on the lower tier cards. In the US, not the case and there are multiple examples where Platinum or Gold have better benefits than Centurion, in particular around MR earning. You try raising the issue with them, and they attempt to deflect by saying 'but Platinums don't get X'. True but there is a 5x fee delta too. We saw the recent announcement of three enhancements for US Centurion which was really one new benefit and two existing benefits that they were rehashing. You then find out that one real new benefit is the exact same one that Platinum is getting too.

I've had an issue open for a year now where the benefits you get via the Hertz President's Circle granted by UK Centurion gets better upgrades and benefits than the Hertz Platinum granted by US Centurion. The team at the US have been working on that feedback now for a year, and I get the explanation that it's due to the way the contracts were negotiated - either the US person did a poor job or the UK person did a sterling job when working with Hertz. A year to resolve an issue is beyond a joke.

I think anyone wanting a US Centurion should really think hard about why they want the card, as you're going to get hit with a $7500 initiation fee and then a $2500 annual fee (and then more if you want additional cards). If your answer is because people will think better of me or I will get better service, you're going to be very disappointed.

Centurion in the US could be a great product (and I know people that have had it for a long time and can attest to this - SPG Plat days anyone and a $1k fee?), but they've clearly got some people owning and servicing the product in the US now that think they are doing a great job because of the mystique of the card that still exists, and people queueing up to want it. So don't ever waste your time raising an issue with them as you'll get 'thanks for your feedback' lip-service and 'aren't you lucky you have a Centurion card' feeling. There is no accountability when you point out a service issue or a gap in benefit/offering, just 'but what about X benefit you get?'

The sad fact is that it took multiple escalations and the involvement from the CEO of American Express to get me a US Centurion because unlike practically every other AmEx market - there is no migration path to US Centurion. If I had UK Platinum they would have transferred me straight to US Platinum via Global Transfer. Oh you have a UK Centurion card and have held it since 2001, tough, you have to get an invite because we are 'special'. If I'd known back then how disappointed I would be with US Centurion, I don't think I would have bothered. Shame really all up - so much potential, yet squandered by people that are not listening to customers or watching the market around them.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:57 pm

Richard, my two cents: if AMEX has been able to dilute benefits and increase fees, without coming out net/net a loser, they've probably made the right business decisions and the card was too great a deal to start with. I guess that's why I regret turning it down originally back when.

If customers aren't canceling their cards, they are obviously still receiving value for the money (in their calculus, and, apparently, yours as well).
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Great comparison and commentary, Richard.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by nyc2cal
Richard, my two cents: if AMEX has been able to dilute benefits and increase fees, without coming out net/net a loser, they've probably made the right business decisions and the card was too great a deal to start with. I guess that's why I regret turning it down originally back when.

If customers aren't canceling their cards, they are obviously still receiving value for the money (in their calculus, and, apparently, yours as well).
I had this card a few years ago (back in the day when the initiation was $5K, but but the AF was still $2500). In AMEX's marketing defense, the initiation fee might have been the single best retention tool. I held onto the card at least two years longer that I probably would have had I not had the $5K initiation fee in the back of my mind. Sunken cost, I know, but terminating still felt like I was throwing away an asset.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:59 pm

local Amex account manager

Anyone ever met up with their local account manager? What kind of services did they offer? I have been putting some serious spend through a biz plat and they reached out to me.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by csesq
That's a really good question. Main person is responsible and paying the bill. Lord knows my wife and kids "contribute" and use.
I had a Centurion card and sprung for my wife to be AU for awhile but my kids were lucky I loved them enough to give them the Platinum. Total waste of money to pay $2500 per year for them. In fact we got rid of ours in 2011....don't regret it for even a second.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by RichardMannion
I've had US Centurion for nearly a year now, and have had a UK Centurion card since 2001 so have the ability to compare and contrast between the markets....

Thank you for the review. Very good.

Last edited by mia; Apr 6, 2017 at 6:13 am Reason: Prune quatation
Old May 17, 2017, 7:52 pm

Invitations?

Have been lurking here awhile and interested in the card. Just curious (and apropos to the title): is anyone aware of any invitations in 2017? We're almost at the halfway point of the year. Thx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.