Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How common are targeted offers without once-in-a-lifetime language?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by plainheart
I don't remember the terms include words such as "not available to previous card holders". However, the offer is not displayed in my account so I cannot confirm.
You need to apply through the link provided in the offer (or by telephone using the offer code if there is no link). The offer is not a license to find another offer and waive the terms. You must use that specific offer.
Old May 9, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: SPG/Ritz/Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Targeted Business Gold Card - 75k

I just received a direct mail offer to "compliment my personal card". I have a personal platinum but most of my spend is on my wife's Everyday Preferred.

Terms - first year fee waived
50k points for $5k spent in 3 months
Second 25k points for another $5k spent in the same 3 months

75k points on $10k spend in 3 months - steep but not impossible
Expires June 20
Old May 9, 2016, 6:33 pm

This offer likely has no once per lifetime language
Old May 10, 2016, 3:36 am

Programs: SPG/Ritz/Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
I didn't see it when I reviewed the terms, which section and document has it typically been located in? I'll confirm.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:12 am

Targeted AmEx USA offers with NO "offer unavailable" exclusion?

Got a targeted offer for AmEx Personal Plat, 50K for $5K spend.
I've gone through the entire app and I don't see ANYWHERE where it says "offer not available" to anyone...not previous card holders,not time exclusions...nothing.

Can it be?
Old May 25, 2016, 1:14 pm
mia

Originally Posted by stevento
Can it be?
Yes, it is increasingly common to receive targeted offers without any exclusion for prior cardholders.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

I keep getting offered 75k for business gold even though I opened a business gold account last year, hit the spend bonus and closed the account within 6 weeks.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:31 pm

I received it too. Dont see any targetted langauge. I opened platinum this months only though
Old May 26, 2016, 9:03 am

The offer of Business gold i received had the exclusion for prior card holders in the "Additional Disclosures" page, but again each offer is different, so YMMV
Old May 28, 2016, 12:10 pm

My wife just received the same offer without restrictions by snail mail. She has already used the MB platinum 75K offer and the personal Plat 100K offer this month, so I am hesitant to add another platinum card application so soon. Might wait until closer to the July 31 expiry date to apply, but if others with a platinum card use this offer, let us know whether they will live up to it or not.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have an email for plat amex for 50k - trying to decide if i should apply or wait for a better offer...
normally not the most attractive deal but i already used up all other amex mr options and this one has no lifetime language...
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:37 am
mia

Such offers have existed all along, but after American Express extended the once-in-a-lifetime terms to business cards there was a spike in reports of such offers on both personal and business cards.

Are you asking if you are likely to receive the offer again if you let this one expire, or are you asking if you are likely to receive a higher offer?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Such offers have existed all along, but after American Express extended the once-in-a-lifetime terms to business cards there was a spike in reports of such offers on both personal and business cards.

Are you asking if you are likely to receive the offer again if you let this one expire, or are you asking if you are likely to receive a higher offer?
either would be ok (there are other cards i can apply for now) - just don't want this offer to expire and never return

past experience suggests that once you are on the list for an offer they will continue sending them but this is the first encounter in post-"lifetime" world for me...
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
either would be ok (there are other cards i can apply for now) - just don't want this offer to expire and never return

past experience suggests that once you are on the list for an offer they will continue sending them but this is the first encounter in post-"lifetime" world for me...
I've gotten targeted offers for 50K on BGR twice this year without the 'once in a lifetime' language after having had the card in the past.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 5:54 pm

Targeted PRG offer (two of them) seemingly invalid

Wife got a targeted offer without the "lifetime bonus" language for premier gold card. She had had it before, a few years back. From what I read, these are great opportunities to get the bonus a second time.

Trying online with the RSVP code: "Sorry, we are unable to verify the information you provided. You may also apply for the American Express® card by calling the phone number included in your offer."

Not only was the physically mailed but received the same offer via email. Both didn't work.

Tried calling AMEX, mentioning the POID - lady even said, "it's valid, but I can't get it to work"... transferred to a few people, no luck.

Anyone experience this before? It's kind of like the offer was rescinded, but it seems really weird. She did recently hit the 100K plat where people were getting points frozen, but I confirmed her points are not frozen. (We don't MS at all).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.