Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How common are targeted offers without once-in-a-lifetime language?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How common are targeted offers without once-in-a-lifetime language?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:22 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Do mailed Amex solicitations override the once in a lifetime rule?

A year or more ago my wife closed her Amex Platinum card and even received a pro-rated refund of the AF.

Yesterday in the mail I saw that she received a new solicitation for a new Amex Platinum card (only 60K bonus).

Does the mailed solicitation override the once in a lifetime rule for new card bonus?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There is no unpublished rule. If the terms of the offer say this...

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.

...she in not eligible. If that language does not appear on the card -and- does not appear online using the invitation code, she is eligible. Save the invitation until AFTER the points have posted.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:08 pm

Warning. I had a PRG offer in the offers section of the web site. I read the very fine print of the offer and this was not there

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.

I concentrated on the details of the bonus in the very fine print and not the text above it and the exclusion language may or may not have been there.

Either way, I did not get the bonus. So be careful even if it is a targeted offer is in the offers section. In disputing it, they just stated the once in a lifetime bonus rules. I lost.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:47 pm

Amex has been actively courting me & many others with snail-mailed offers, none of which have any once-per-lifetime language in their fine print. The most recent Plat is for 60K pts, the most recent PRG is for 25K pts. I have previously had both of these cards--for more points--and cancelled them before incurring a second AF.
I've not been tempted to bite since I recall a nasty experience with them over getting Delta miles from a second Delta card I had with them many moons ago, which also had no once-per-lifetime verbiage anywhere in the invitational printed materials. That matter was absolutely a bait-and-switch fiasco, and I resented having met min spend only to have had to badger them for my miles, to no avail. (I think they threw me a 3K-mile bone as a good will gesture.) My protests about the lack of once-per-lifetime wording at that time were ignored. Perhaps more data points will show things have changed, but until then, caveat emptor.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I got a amex offer with no lifetime language but I am still fighting amex to get the 50000 points for the amex gold premier. They offer a link on my page but yet after signing up and meeting spend they refuse to provide the MR claiming I already had the bonus before.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:47 am

Amex Returning Offer

Hi all - I got a 100k offer in the mail for the Amex platinum. I had the Platinum in 2014 but closed it out. I'm interested in signing up but I've heard that former cardholders aren't eligible for bonuses. I assumed for that reason the mailed offer was a mistake, but when I read thru the printed and online terms I saw no reference to former card holders. Maybe I'm missing something.

Has any one tried signing back up and getting the bonus? Did it work? I'd actually like to get the Platinum back but I'm not going to do so for no bonus given cards offers in market these days.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Just sign up anyways you have proof and evidence that they are offering you 100k!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:25 am
mia

Welcome to Flyertalk.

If your offer is for a USA-issued card, look for this language -both- in the written offer -and- during the online application process:

This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.

If your offer does not include this language you should receive the bonus, even though you have previously held the same product. Such targeted offers are not rare, but be sure to save the written offer -and- make screen shots of terms displayed during application.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Last Summer I did get a targeted offer for an AMEX PRG, which I've had before, but the targeted offer meant I qualified for a second bonus.
Not to go too far off-topic, but is that true? Do targeted offers from Amex get around the "once in a lifetime" restriction? I ask because I'm in the same boat -- 50k MR targeted offer for PRG, but I've had it before. I'd hate to sign up for the card, do the spend, and not get the pts.

Sorry for posting this in the wrong forum but I really want a reply. I promise to repent by posting lots of data points about Citi AA churning and bonus matching, which I just started (waiting for my first card to arrive so i can link & offer match)
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Not to go too far off-topic, but is that true? Do targeted offers from Amex get around the "once in a lifetime" restriction? I ask because I'm in the same boat -- 50k MR targeted offer for PRG, but I've had it before. I'd hate to sign up for the card, do the spend, and not get the pts.
Yes. There is a related thread in AMEX forum so you can go there to read up.

I am on my 3rd PRG in 5 years with the last 2 on targeted offers within 2.5 year. In fact while I am on the current PRG received in May, I got yet another targeted offer of the Gold in Nov. The same 50K/$2K with 1st year fee waived! But I let that one go, not wanting to push my luck...

Same situation with the DL cards both personal and business. Though they come less frequently.

The AMEX targeted offers do NOT have the limitation language on the offer. Else it is very prominently located in BOLD letters above the General T&Cs.
You can go over the offer your received to make sure if there is any such restriction stated.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Yes. There is a related thread in AMEX forum so you can go there to read up.

I am on my 3rd PRG in 5 years with the last 2 on targeted offers within 2.5 year. In fact while I am on the current PRG received in May, I got yet another targeted offer of the Gold in Nov. The same 50K/$2K with 1st year fee waived! But I let that one go, not wanting to push my luck...

Same situation with the DL cards both personal and business. Though they come less frequently.

The AMEX targeted offers do NOT have the limitation language on the offer. Else it is very prominently located in BOLD letters above the General T&Cs.
You can go over the offer your received to make sure if there is any such restriction stated.
No such language on my offer, and AMEX is supposed to now tell you in the middle of an app if you don't qualify, and ask "do you want to continue with this application?" Not enough for me, I also called AMEX, and had the CSR check with the; marketing department, who confirmed that I would receive it.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

Sorry for posting this in the wrong forum but I really want a reply. I promise to repent by posting lots of data points about Citi AA churning and bonus matching, which I just started (waiting for my first card to arrive so i can link & offer match)
I just got a bonus for the new rose colored Amex PRG despite having the card in the past. This was actually not a targeted offer, I used a referral from somebody on FT. The way to check is to start an application, if they tell you that you will not qualify for the bonus you are SOL, if they don't your chances are pretty good to get the bonus. It takes some patience as the bonus isn't really mentioned anywhere in their materials.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:23 pm
mia

Moderator action

Posts 54 - 57 were transferred from the Citi forum.

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
.... called AMEX, and had the CSR check with the; marketing department, who confirmed that I would receive it.
While there is no harm doing this, there is also no reliable benefit. American Express may still deny, or take back, a bonus on several grounds other than previous accounts. Discussion of current policy is here:

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ne-2018-a.html
Happy and VegasGambler like this.

Last edited by mia; Dec 29, 2018 at 12:36 pm
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Posts 54 - 57 were transferred from the Citi forum.

While there is no harm doing this, there is also no reliable benefit. American Express may still deny, or take back, a bonus on several grounds other than previous accounts. Discussion of current policy is here:

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ne-2018-a.html
This!

I would not call to draw attention to the account. As enough DPs show that AMEX CAN manually remove / deny the bonuses. It is a game with some blind trust, pretty much akin to apply a card with only the application page when the landing page has died. You either trust empirical data or play ultra safe and NOT to use it.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:46 am

pre-approve show up in login

log into my everyday card, got the message for pre-approval for the gold card ( 50k with 2k spend). I had gold card in 2016, not sure if I will receive the points after i apply the card? any experience ( i looked at the term, didnt see the life language)

thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.