Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How common are targeted offers without once-in-a-lifetime language?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How common are targeted offers without once-in-a-lifetime language?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2020, 12:17 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Got an email about upgrading to Plat despite closing last year for 60k MR for 5k spend that I took
Lets just say Amex is aggressively targeting lol. I just closed my vanilla Plat last week and picked up the Schwab Plat and I already have a targeted vanilla plat offer and an offer to upgrade my Gold to a Platinum.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:39 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Understood that Amex is aggressively targeting and targeted offers without once-in-a-lifetime language are common. Thank you.

There are a few reports above of targeted offers resulting in account approval and bonus receipt despite having had the same account within the past few years. Most of the posts above refer only to receiving a targeted offer and not the outcome of the application and bonus. There are also some reports (perhaps elsewhere) that application via a targeted offer without once-in-a-lifetime language resulted in account approval and NO bonus (which is particularly annoying and counterproductive to our goals).

The question remains, what is the consensus regarding an application via a targeted offer and the probability of no pop-ups, account approval and bonus receipt?

Thank you.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
.... consensus ....
There is little downside to responding to an American Express targeted offer, if it was addressed to you, because:

No Initial Hard Credit Pull for Existing Amex Cardholders?

Responding to a targeted offer "found" online, or addressed to someone else, is a different matter.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Thank you mia, very helpful. I wasn’t aware of the hard pull procedures. Yes, of course targeted addressed to me, I’d never do anything hokey like applying via a targeted offer addressed to someone else or applying for a business card with no actual business. 😉

BTW, should I be concerned if the application link in MY targeted offer takes me to an application page which is NOT pre-filled?
Old Mar 19, 2021, 10:10 pm

Finally pulled the trigger and applied for Biz Plat via link emailed in November with April 30th expiration date. Relatively newly retired with increased investment income last 2-3 years and consequent increased tax due payments and estimated tax payments so easier to meet minimum spend ($15,000 for 100,000 MR).

Applied a few days ago, application and “Terms, Conditions & Disclosures” link pdf both clearly stated (I saved copies) “Fees Annual Membership Fee $595” and “To be eligible to earn 100,000 additional points, you must charge $15,000 of eligible purchases in eligible purchases.[sic] … You can earn 100,000 points after you spend $15,000 or more in eligible purchases on your Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership starting from the date your account is approved.” Instant approval, card arrived 2 days later via FedEx.

On the Cardmember Agreement received with the card, Part 1 of 2, Page 1 of 2 (which includes my “Company Name” and “Cardmember Name” (the same) and (correct) “Account Ending In: xxxxx”) I was quite surprised to see “Fees | Annual Membership Fee | $0 for the first year, then $595”. IIRC there are occasionally no-first-year-annual-fee Plat accounts but IIRC they usually do not include a bonus.

I think that AmEx is more deceptive about bonuses than any other issuer, certainly of the 5 bonuses I’ve been denied out of over 160 possibilities, AmEx has denied 4 of those 5 bonuses while accounting for just 1/3 of the possibilities. So I’m reasonably skeptical that I’ll not pay an annual fee this year AND also get the 100,000 MR bonus points.

Trying hard not to look a gift horse in the mouth. It’s unlikely I’m the only person to have this experience. Wondering about outcome(s) for those with similar experience(s).

(Edit an hour or 2 later) FWIW, I just added the card to my on-line profile and downloaded another copy of the Cardmember Agreement. It’s dated today whereas the Cardmember Agreement hard copy I received with the card has the application date (a few days ago). Both state “Fees | Annual Membership Fee | $0 for the first year, then $595”.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Mar 19, 2021 at 10:52 pm Reason: as above
Old Aug 31, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
No lifetime language in targeted Platinum card offer?

I received the targeted AMEX Platinum offer for 125k points, $6k spend in 6 months. I don't see any lifetime language in the T&C's, particularly where I would expect it in the first few paragraphs of the "Offer Terms." Have others seen the same thing? Am I missing it somewhere else? Would I be targeted for an AMEX card that I'm unable to receive the bonus?

[FWIW I had an Amex Plat about 15 years ago]
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:35 am

Delta Amex -- frequency of sign up bonus

My understanding was that Amex went to a once in a lifetime Delta miles sign up bonus for the Gold card. I received this bonus twice before this policy was instituted, and then a third time about 7 years after the second time (since I read here that lifetime is treated as 7 years).

Now only 2 years after receiving my last sign up bonus I have received a target offer which makes no mention of the once in a lifetime policy. So I can get this bonus a fourth time, as long as I follow the terms of the targeted offer?
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tom_MN
.... lifetime is treated as 7 years.......
Note that the 7 years is measured from when the previous account is closed, not from when it was opened.

If the exclusion does not appear in the offer terms it should not apply, BUT carefully read everything that appears on the screen during the application process.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:55 am

mia-- Thanks for moving the post. I couldn't find a relevant topic to post under. Now I see from the other posts that the once in a lifetime policy is cracking open.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 8:43 am

I received an email welcome offer for the Amex Platinum Business card with 150k bonus after $15k spend in 3 months. I held this card a few years ago but no longer have it. I currently hold the Amex Gold as my daily spender.

Oddly the email had a typo in the subject line:
Offer Confirmed: You're pre-approved to apply and earn 150,000 Memebership Rewards® points
The email also contained the lifetime language.
Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
When I click "Apply Now" it takes me to a landing page that addresses me by name and includes the same offer. But under the "Offer & Benefit Terms" it does not contain any of the lifetime language.

What are my chances of receiving the bonus offer?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by tom_MN
My understanding was that Amex went to a once in a lifetime Delta miles sign up bonus for the Gold card. I received this bonus twice before this policy was instituted, and then a third time about 7 years after the second time (since I read here that lifetime is treated as 7 years). Now only 2 years after receiving my last sign up bonus I have received a target offer which makes no mention of the once in a lifetime policy. So I can get this bonus a fourth time, as long as I follow the terms of the targeted offer?
This recent bonus was posted today, so the lifetime restriction isn't very lifetime any more, at least if the bonus is targeted.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Didn't get the warning banner when I applied for the Delta Platinum personal card. I haven't had the card in like 4-5 years, so fingers crossed.

Either way, I need the MQD waiver this year, so if I manage to get the 90K/10K bonus (public offer in incognito mode), that's just a really nice extra.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Jan 7, 2022 at 2:21 pm
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:27 am

My husband has successfully opened 3 new Amex gold business cards for three separate businesses, a Platinum Amex business, all with targeted offers online, over the last year, with each card having 70,000+ bonus offers, the platinum 125k. All bonuses received. He has had all of the cards previously/currently.

I recently cashed in a bunch of points from my account, and logged in yesterday and saw a targeted offer for an amex gold business card that was tied to my Blue Business Plus Card.

The promo:

There was no lifetime language in the offer. I applied and was instantly approved, will meet the spend the day the card arrives, and if history is an indication, the points will post the day after that.

Anyway, in our case, it seems the Amex Blue Business Plus card is the gift that keeps on giving. This will be my second active amex gold business card, and probably the 6th or 7th gold business card in the last few years. All for legitimate businesses fwiw.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by jchock1
I recently cashed in a bunch of points from my account, and logged in yesterday and saw a targeted offer …
I wonder if redeeming points is an inducement for AmEx to make targeted offer(s)?

SPN Lifer and sdsearch like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Gold
Just approved for a Delta Gold 75K after $2K spending. It was from a mailed offer.

Did not see any bonus restriction wording on mailing, online nor did I get a popup.
I have perviously had this card, cancelled it just over a year ago, April 10, 2021

Called customer service and they verified offer is on account.

Last edited by TaxiApple; Apr 25, 2022 at 11:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.