Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How common are targeted offers without once-in-a-lifetime language?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How common are targeted offers without once-in-a-lifetime language?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by TaxiApple
Just approved for a Delta Gold 75K after $2K spending. ... Called customer service and they verified offer is on account.
Congratulations , hope you get your bonus quickly and easily, would also be a good prognosticator for the rest of us. Please update us about receiving your bonus.

BREAK – Rant On

AmEx (SUBs) cannot be trusted, a caveat emptor attitude is most definitely appropriate. There are many reports of denied or delayed bonuses, messed up annual fees, arbitrary resetting of 7 year itch lifetime and clueless AmEx agents giving patently erroneous information. All of that is worse with upgrade offers (compared to applications and SUBs).

My most galling experience was about 4 years ago; Delta personal card, 3.5 years after closing Delta personal card, prior to “no bonus” pop-ups, targeted, NLL, instant approval, offer confirmed by phone after card receipt, quickly met minimum spend. No bonus. Certified letter to AmEx CEO which was followed-up by the AmEx Executive Resolution Team (top of AmEx Customer Service as far as I know) and also contacting the AmEx Twitter team (at the time supposedly the go-to team) a few months later … bupkis.

A big part of this problem is that AmEx reps are (probably) mostly reading from a script. When we ask “is this promotion attached to my card” they’re simply saying that the promotion is attached to those types of cards. They either cannot or do not see, or will not share with us, the exact specific details of our individual account and the nonsense reasons why the promotion does not apply to our specific individual account. This is America, businesses can lie and contradict themselves in order to rip us off as they please. Bait and switch, false advertising, out of stock, doesn’t apply on even numbered days, whatever. It’s all just a bunch of BS to transfer our money from our wallets to their CEO and shareholders’ wallets.

Rant off.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Didn't get the warning banner when I applied for the Delta Platinum personal card. I haven't had the card in like 4-5 years, so fingers crossed.

Either way, I need the MQD waiver this year, so if I manage to get the 90K/10K bonus (public offer in incognito mode), that's just a really nice extra.
For me 90K posted two days after 3K spend. I'd had (I think) all 6 biz and personal versions of the Delta card in the last 5 years. So, it looks like the lifetime language was intentionally left off. I hope it turned out for you

Last edited by highops; Apr 26, 2022 at 8:55 am Reason: Change tense after noticing dates on posts
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by highops
For me 90K posted two days after 3K spend. I'd had (I think) all 6 biz and personal versions of the Delta card in the last 5 years. So, it looks like the lifetime language was intentionally left off. I hope it turns out for you
I guess Delta Plat without RDM bonuses might be a new product though? IDK.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by TaxiApple
Just approved for a Delta Gold 75K after $2K spending. It was from a mailed offer.

Did not see any bonus restriction wording on mailing, online nor did I get a popup.
I have perviously had this card, cancelled it just over a year ago, April 10, 2021

Called customer service and they verified offer is on account.
UPDATE: Just checked my Delta account. I DID get the bonus 75K points! There were 2 separate deposits May 23rd of 37,500 miles.
Dr Jabadski and Cat88L3 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 5:04 pm

For some reason, I keep getting mailers for DL offers sans the once in a lifetime language. However, it keeps making me apply with a new DL number where I'll just have to combine it into my original account. I'd say I get these offers at least once or twice every other year?
Old Jun 2, 2022, 5:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
....making me apply with a new DL number....
How does the application "make" you do this?
Old Jun 2, 2022, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by mia
How does the application "make" you do this?
Ah, by entering the invitation code (assume it's unique to me), the application is prefilled with some information I can't change, which includes name, address and I'm unable to enter a DL number. When approved, the card is associated with a brand new Skymiles number. It's easy to combine them, which I've done many times in the past.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 5:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Does Amex ever have NLL links for personal Gold?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.