Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
...sent me a letter rejecting my application via the bonus offer page, saying that I am ineligible
Citi used to do this, but now they issue the card without a bonus. I don't think rejecting the card application is the best solution. There are people who want/need a card without regard to any bonus because the benefits are valuable (e.g. lounge access).
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Perhaps the best solution is for Amex to check for prior card under the applicant's SSN, and if there is a card, respond: "Our records indicate that you have previously had the same card you are applying for. You are thus not eligible for the bonus Members Rewards points. Would you still like to apply for the card?" [yes/no]
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:02 pm

I canceled my Platinum around May or June 2014. So far I have got two targeted offers for this Platinum card with 50K bonus points after 5K spending. I kept reading the offer conditions and see nowhere it mentioned that the bonus offer is not available for those who have had this card before. I know that Amex is getting nasty about card promotion so I will not believe the offer condition. But I have to wonder why they have sent me the invitation twice.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by anneok
I know that Amex is getting nasty about card promotion so I will not believe the offer condition. .
We have several reports from people who have received targeted offers without the exclusion. They applied, made the spend, and received the bonus.

The problems generally occur when people receive offers and ignore the terms, or "find" offers online (such as the one that is the subject to this thread.)
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:19 pm

That sounds good!

Originally Posted by mia
We have several reports from people who have received targeted offers without the exclusion. They applied, made the spend, and received the bonus.

The problems generally occur when people receive offers and ignore the terms, or "find" offers online (such as the one that is the subject to this thread.)
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia

100% correct.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:40 pm

Just read the T&C in targeted offer and I saw the phrase "... qualifying purchases excludes prepaid gift cards and other cash equivalents." 50K bonus for 5K spending hmmm. I guess if I buy gold coins from ebay, it falls into the exclusion category. Geez Amex is trying hard to make MS impossible.

Originally Posted by Happy
100% correct.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I guess if I buy gold coins from ebay, it falls into the exclusion category.
How would they know?

Geez Amex is trying hard to make MS impossible.
Of course they are. Why wouldn't they?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:33 pm

Based on what I have read in this thread, people got their points clawed back because they bought Visa/MC gift cards, so Amex obviously knows what were purchased to get bonus points.

Originally Posted by Steve M
How would they know?

Of course they are. Why wouldn't they?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:23 pm

Based on what I have read in this thread, people got their points clawed back because they bought Visa/MC gift cards, so Amex obviously knows what were purchased to get bonus points.
It takes some effort for them to get level 3 data (specific items purchased). The DP in this thread are likely Amex bluffing and making an educated guess that $1000+ purchases at grocery stores, drugstores, giftcardmall.com, and mall concierge desks are likely gift cards
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:05 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Are claw backs going to be the new normal at Amex? A friend of mine just forwarded this to me, it was on her new Amex Platinum billing statement and effective 1/1/17

..if we determine that you are ineligible for an additional points incentive award that you received and your points balance is insufficient to cover the reversal of the incentive award your points balance can be negative. If this happens, any points you receive thereafter will be applied first to the negative balance, and you will not have points available for redemption until your points balance becomes positive.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:50 pm

If all spending was done via GCM and visa GC, is there any point in me pursuing mediation? Points were posted but then frozen and eventually clawed back.

I'm willing to accept that the points were clawed back and Amex had justification for such as 90% of my spending was MS. I'll get enough value from the card to justify the AF. But if there is a reasonable chance they will return the points, I'll pursue.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:45 pm

I don't think you will be successful in pursuing mediation because it is against the terms and conditions to purchase cash equivalents, haven't heard of many people being successful in getting there points back.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Are claw backs going to be the new normal at Amex? A friend of mine just forwarded this to me, it was on her new Amex Platinum billing statement and effective 1/1/17

..if we determine that you are ineligible for an additional points incentive award that you received and your points balance is insufficient to cover the reversal of the incentive award your points balance can be negative. If this happens, any points you receive thereafter will be applied first to the negative balance, and you will not have points available for redemption until your points balance becomes positive.
This, I think, just codifies what has been practice at Amex for quite some time. That is, if you go negative, you have to earn your way out of that hole. I know someone who is in such a hole because of this 100k clawback situation. He's just going to stop using his MR-earning cards and when the AF comes due, obviously cancel, since it would take an inordinate amount of earnings to dig himself out of that hole.

The fact that they are adding this language raises an interesting question: why did they feel the need to codify what has been their practice for quite some time? It suggests that maybe they felt they weren't on solid legal footing, and this is a CYA situation.

I suppose previously, the negative balance situations would have been limited to negative balances due to returns. Now that they are clawing back bonuses, you might see more and more significant negative points balances.

It suggest that they may get tougher, and they are adding this language because the incidences of negative balances in points accounts may increase. Or it may be nothing.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by extremeromance
I don't think you will be successful in pursuing mediation because it is against the terms and conditions to purchase cash equivalents, haven't heard of many people being successful in getting there points back.
Those that have been successful do not brag about it in public forums. One may assume any settlement offer also comes with an NDA. Frankly speaking, too, most people don't have the skill or inclination to pursue a successful mediation or arbitration claim. That's why Amex is playing hardball; most people will take their stuff and go home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.