Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stimpy
FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE.

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.
Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:55 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jerkstore
I had an interesting experience with the Lanesborough (London) in March.

FHR quoted $XXX with third night free. We all know the price on the confirmation email will be greater than the actual price paid because of the free third night. When it came time to pay, there was no reduction and FHR had posted the rate AFTER the third night discount.

After some back and forth I sent them evidence of 5 bookings where the final price was calculated below the confirmation email if including the free night. i was refunded the difference ($500).
That's odd. I've had the exact same experience regarding x night free deals - it was reflected upon checkout. I guess it is nice that you got the refund.

Also, welcome to FT! I like your subtle Seinfeld reference!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Originally Posted by United747
That's odd. I've had the exact same experience regarding x night free deals - it was reflected upon checkout. I guess it is nice that you got the refund.

Also, welcome to FT! I like your subtle Seinfeld reference!
Thanks! Always glad whens someone gets it.^

The mistake was on FHR's end. Glad they were able to make it right. Took a good month of going back and forth.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
I had an interesting experience with the Lanesborough (London) in March.

FHR quoted $XXX with third night free. We all know the price on the confirmation email will be greater than the actual price paid because of the free third night. When it came time to pay, there was no reduction and FHR had posted the rate AFTER the third night discount.

After some back and forth I sent them evidence of 5 bookings where the final price was calculated below the confirmation email if including the free night. i was refunded the difference ($500).
We had this happen with Banyan Tree Mayakoba and Amex was insistent that free night was already factored into room rate a few months ago. Never resolved. I am tempted to go back to this now.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Originally Posted by floridagal23
We had this happen with Banyan Tree Mayakoba and Amex was insistent that free night was already factored into room rate a few months ago. Never resolved. I am tempted to go back to this now.
If you have receipts from the hotels (can always call and have it emailed) and the corresponding FHR email confirmations, show a series of them from the past with the final bill amount less than the email confirmation (by one night). That is what worked for me.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay

Date: August 21 - 1 night
Upgrade: Yes - to a Fire Pit Room
Property Amenity: $100 Resort Credit used for dinner at Navio
Early Checkin: Not Needed
Late Checkout: 2:30
Wifi: $5 off Resort Fee to cover this
Breakfast: $78 for 2 people, used at Navio (covers buffet)

My wife loves this property, but sadly came down with a cold the day before we arrived and spent most of the stay in bed. We did get a s'mores kit to use with the firepit outside the room. This is our second stay, and we've only ever stayed in room 120.

The staff here are mostly great, and very friendly. The one exception for our stay was our waiter at breakfast. We had to go find him to get our bill and leave.

Interestingly, American Express lists the benefit here as a Spa credit, but the property has it as a Resort credit, so you can use it for meals.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm in the middle of a bunch of 4th night free stays in Asia with zero problems with the bill, FWIW.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm in the middle of a bunch of 4th night free stays in Asia with zero problems with the bill, FWIW.
have fun, and enjoy your Asian sojourns Stimpy^
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by stimpy

jealous.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
St. Regis Singapore

Booked with CTS
Upgraded at booking to a Penthouse room, then further to a St. Regis Suite (outside the door it said Executive Suite)
$300 F&B/Spa credit
Free wifi, early check in, late check out, breakfast, etc.
4th night free

Great stay in a very nice suite.

The main negative thing was breakfast each day in the restaurant was a zoo. Terribly managed and some awful service. But the bar at night was great and the Chinese restaurant was pretty good.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
If you have receipts from the hotels (can always call and have it emailed) and the corresponding FHR email confirmations, show a series of them from the past with the final bill amount less than the email confirmation (by one night). That is what worked for me.
Thanks. This is a big mess. My email from Amex shows a total before tax and service charges of 2277 for 4 nights. No nightly rate shown on the confirmation. I remember the website showed the 569 rate and we definitely booked through FHR since we got the $100 f&b amenity reflected on the folio. We were eligible for a 4th free night as a FHR booking at this property. I called when booking because the mid-morph website (this was at the end of last year for a Jan stay) showed $569 as the nightly rate. One person told me the rate was the smoothed out rate including the free night (I think this person thought it was not a FHR booking where they always show the smoothed out rate) and another told me it did not take into account the free night because it was a FHR booking. The hotel relays that the nightly rate (including taxes and 18%) service charge was approx $1000 and they charged us for three nights. So 2277/3 giving a base rate of $759 plus the 18% service charge and tax comes out to $1000ish a night It looks like the Amex total on my confirmation email already included the free night. I have always had the experience with FHR that the free night comes off the total on the email so this doesn't sit well with me. I don't care about the money at this point but when booking it was cause for concern and now this doesn't sit well with me as a frequent FHR traveler. Is it worth contacting Amex - this sounds like your exact situation? I will have to go back and see if I can figure out where we had free nights in the past. Unfortunately most of our major travel in the last year has not been through Amex (we did two safaris) so I have to hunt for FHR receipts. Would you mind letting me know exactly who you dealt with? Maybe this would be easier to deal with then.

Last edited by floridagal23; Aug 30, 2016 at 11:45 am
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:35 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
I've always booked over the phone for FHR, partly as we didn't have the capability on the website before but partly because that way I could confirm I was booking into a category that's eligible to be upgraded from. However the upside of booking by phone is that the agents tend to always manually annotate the confirmation to say what deal is being offered - incl 4th night free, F&B credit, etc. They also can sometimes negotiate with the property, eg free lunch and dinner rather than just dinner for 2.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 4:54 pm

The Langham Huntington Pasadena

The Langham Huntington Pasadena

Stayed here 09/2016

Booked a classic king room and upgrade was to a deluxe king room. I asked if they could make it a double room instead of a king. It was done so, but begrudgingly. She told me I had already received an upgrade to a deluxe king but she'll check anyway.

Received a $100 resort credit that they told me could be for anything at hotel- Spa, various restaurants, even the valet parking. We used the $100 fee and the additional $60 breakfast credit (2x30) for breakfast for a party of 6.

4PM checkout no problems. No resort fee

By the way there is only valet parking unless you book a cottage. As a side note, I am also an expedia gold member and booked a cottage room- the shamrock cottage - and it came with its own parking space behind a gated area. Didn't need to pay any parking fees. In case anyone is wondering The +VIP Access hotel benefits for expedia gold member is close to nil. It included a handful of grapes, a mandarin orange, 4 strawberries, a small pile of blueberries, and one bottle of sparkling water. Asked about any possible room upgrades and denied. Also a 2pm checkout was done again begrudgingly although im fairly certain that even without status it could be granted.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:11 am

Loews Hotel - Downtown Chicago
Date: Sept 7 - 1 night
Upgrade: No Upgrade available - however room was on the top floor of the hotel section of the building
Property Amenity: $100 Food/Drink Credit used at the Rural Society restaurant
Early Check-in: Not Needed
Late Checkout: 4:00
Wifi: Code provided at check-in worked without issue, didn't use the internet much
Breakfast: $30 each for 2 people, used for room service

Overall it was an excellent value. Paid $240+Tax for the room, got an excellent dinner at the restaurant. We had a show to get to that evening and the waiter was able to get everything out in time for us to get to our show with time to spare.

At checkin they had a little Amex branded envelope with details about the food/drink/breakfast credit. They explained how it all worked and everything went smoothly (no issues at all charging the food to the room and having the $100 +$30+$30 automatically and correctly credited).

Looking at various other dates, looks like this hotel goes as low as $140/night. So that makes for an excellent value when you consider the two meals you get.

Very satisfied with the program and would certainly do this again.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:05 am

Programs: UA Silver
Palace hotel Tokyo

Date: 9/20, 4 nights
Booked Deluxe King, upgraded to club level ( 3 categories I think )
Early check in and late checkout not used
Wifi : free, reliable and fast
Free breakfast buffet
Property Amenity : $100 food&beverage/spa credit : used

First time using FHR and impressed . The breakfast alone was worth it which is noted as free Buffet ( $39 pp) but was offered and allowed to choose Japanese breakfast ($42 pp I think) if desired. Both options were outstanding

Enjoyed free cocktail and canapés hour and also afternoon tea in club lounge with amazing nighttime view.

Also, used free pressing of 3 items ( club level amenity )

Used F&B credit to twice order upscale steak teriyaki bowl dinner set ( delicious ) in the middle of the night from room service
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:41 pm

Shangri-La Hotel at the Shard, London

Shangri-La Hotel at the Shard, London
Date: Sep 22, 4 nights
Upgrade: Not available. However, room provided had one of the better layouts and city views when compared to other rooms in the same category
Property amenity: GBP 85 food & beverage credit, used
Early check-in: not used
Late check-out: 4 pm, used
Wifi: worked great
Breakfast: Full buffet included (GBP 32 per person normally)

Staff were friendly, fast, and fully knowledgeable about FHR benefits. They explained the benefits to me at check-in without me having to prompt them. Hotel was running a 4th night free promotion at the time, and this promotion was honored at check-out.

Breakfast was excellent - one of the best I've seen at any hotel. Just tell the host your room number and they'll apply the FHR benefit. Full buffet includes hot + cold items. The staff offered coffee drinks like espresso and cappuccino complimentary. Items from the a la carte menu like French toast and waffles are also included in the full buffet, but you do have to ask your server for them. The full breakfast menu can be found here if you're curious.

Used F&B credit for afternoon tea. Expensive but delicious, and the F&B credit knocked off the majority of the cost. To use this credit, charge the meal to your room, and the credit will show up as an adjustment during final check-out.

This was my first time using FHR. Highly recommend this property. Very good location right next to a Tube (subway) station and rail station and within walking distance of many attractions, restaurants, and services, so transportation was never an issue.

Last edited by weaseltown; Sep 30, 2016 at 8:42 pm Reason: Slight correction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.