Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Report Centurion "WOW" Offers, Invites, Gifts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott TE, and Reformed AMEX Cent
I was given a $1,000 gift card to Chopard in NYC. But it was a total scam. They usually carry items that are cheaper than $1,000 but during the promotion the cheapest thing in the store was $4,000.
Each of the 3 times I went they said - Oh we just sold out of the cheap stuff so come back again. Yeah right. Why bother. Basically all they were offering was 25% to 5% off an overpriced watch. I'll never shop at Chopard - ever.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: AC*75K, Amex Centurion, Marriott Platinum Elite, All Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Didn't know there was a promotion but received a $50 Future Shop gift card in the mail for spending $300 at Future Shop during a certain period. Nice surprise.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Harlem
I was given a $1,000 gift card to Chopard in NYC. But it was a total scam. They usually carry items that are cheaper than $1,000 but during the promotion the cheapest thing in the store was $4,000.
Each of the 3 times I went they said - Oh we just sold out of the cheap stuff so come back again. Yeah right. Why bother. Basically all they were offering was 25% to 5% off an overpriced watch. I'll never shop at Chopard - ever.
Same here.

Was actually told by a friendly male assistant that they pulled the more inexpensive items when they started getting "swarms" of people with the Cent cards, and they quickly realized this promotion would cost them more than they expected.
Originally they were going to return the lower-priced items after January 1st (so as not to eat into the Xmas shopping profits and try to coax Cents to spend on a $4k item rather than take something for free) - then, when they saw that all of us returned in January, they changed their mind and put-off the restocking until March 1st (exactly the day when the Cent card expired).

Total scam. They tried to "help" me by offering to order the under $1,000 items for me - but only if I picked them up and paid after March 1st.

I flat out asked "How do you suppose anyone can redeem this card?" and was told "you aren't supposed to be cheap and use it to get something for nothing; if you aren't interested in our range of items (i.e. the $4,000 to $11,000 things I was shown, and didn't ask to see) then this wasn't intended for you". Exact words.

I suppose you could complain to CCS, but all they will say is that it is up to the retail partner - and not them.

Same as the previous Zegna scam of a few years ago. Thankfully they stopped that nonsense and no longer promote them as a "centurion partner"...
Old Mar 10, 2012, 6:04 pm

Wow indeed. More reasons to have Centurion envy..

And from the sounds of it, if Amex cancelled Zegna as a Centurion partner, they should do it to Chopard too. That's a classic bait and switch.

Last edited by tripice351; Mar 10, 2012 at 6:47 pm
Old Mar 11, 2012, 1:32 am

They could avoid this situation by just being honest and offering a gift card for $1,000 off any purchase of at least $4,000, or 25% off one item up to a maximum of $1,000 off, etc. Or offer a $500 gift card and leave their normal inventory on display.

Plenty of "$x off" gift card offers are based on a minimum purchase.

Susan
Old Mar 13, 2012, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by S.Bling

I suppose you could complain to CCS, but all they will say is that it is up to the retail partner - and not them.

Same as the previous Zegna scam of a few years ago. Thankfully they stopped that nonsense and no longer promote them as a "centurion partner"...
I did exactly that. I was offered a commenserate bonus (same result as my Zegna complaint back then). Always very happy with these types of resolutions from Cent CS (supervisor, that is).
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Ritz
I did exactly that. I was offered a commenserate bonus (same result as my Zegna complaint back then). Always very happy with these types of resolutions from Cent CS (supervisor, that is).
What did they offer you?

I spent over one year (yes, that's right) complaining about Zegna, back when - until they finally removed them as a partner.

But I never got anything, including even an acknowledgement that they were trying to take advantage (CCS kept insisting that Zegna has explained the "exclusive Centurion benefit" to them, and it is I who seems not to "understand" it.
Very frustrating to say the least.

I was able to quote by name the Manager of Zegna NYC who flat out admitted that there was no special benefit, it's just to get Cents in the door - but CCS didn't care to get in the middle: It was easier just to stop enabling them and annoying other Cents = so they simply removed the "partnership" from all future Cent marketing materials.

As for the Chopard - what could CCS have done to make it up to you?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott TE, and Reformed AMEX Cent
I did report to CCS - all I hope is accomplished is that they don't affiliate with Chopard in the future and that they do a better job screening potential deals.

The sales guy at Chopard told me they restocked 15 times. I told him he was lying and left.

I agree that a $1,000 off a min purchase of $4,000 offer would have been the way to go. If that's what they intended then that's what they should have said upfront.

The Montage free night and $500 room credit was awesome though. Mrs. Harlem stayed one night, got a $500 credit that she used at the spa and for room service and then she left. She only needed one night so she only stayed one night. BUT next time we're in LA we're certain to stay there. They were good to us and we like that.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by makemoretospendmore
Didn't know there was a promotion but...
I recall getting something in the mail around November for that...
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:10 pm

What was the 'zegna-scam'?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC*75K, Amex Centurion, Marriott Platinum Elite, All Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Finally got around to opening the mail and found a comp night offer for Fairmont/Raffles to be used by August 2012. The voucher states, "This offer is by invitation only to American Express Centurion members who have been selected to receive this offer and is non-transferrable". You still get FHR and FPC Platinum benefits with use of the voucher which is different from the FPC free night certs.

Will use it for our stay in Maui for which we were using a suite upgrade cert. The way it looks, it will have a value of about $600USD for that particular stay. It will get me to sway a few other nights away from a competing property that we were going to visit, however, so they'll still come out ahead!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:12 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by makemoretospendmore
Finally got around to opening the mail and found a comp night offer for Fairmont/Raffles to be used by August 2012. The voucher states, "This offer is by invitation only to American Express Centurion members who have been selected to receive this offer and is non-transferrable". You still get FHR and FPC Platinum benefits with use of the voucher which is different from the FPC free night certs.

Will use it for our stay in Maui for which we were using a suite upgrade cert. The way it looks, it will have a value of about $600USD for that particular stay. It will get me to sway a few other nights away from a competing property that we were going to visit, however, so they'll still come out ahead!
Excellent, thanks. This is exactly the kind of stuff to share that I had in mind when making this thread. best, E
Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by S.Bling
What did they offer you?

As for the Chopard - what could CCS have done to make it up to you?
They gave me the choice of a $1k Amex GC or $1k account credit. My SO was very happy I decided to take the GC, as she took it and split it up for Xmas stocking stuffers.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: Various
There was the free £500 Tory Burch gift card last year for Uk Centurions. There was no catch apart from you had to use it in person. No minimum spend or items priced way beyond the cards value.

We made a weekend of it with three other friends that are also UK Centurion customers - free night at the Waldorf Syon Park, and then we spent our three £500 vouchers at the Tory Burch store in Bond St. Wife was very happy with her new boots and scarf for £15.

We spotted another three couples using the gift cards; I wonder how much it cost Tory Burch, but it has worked in our house as I am sure we will return.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, Delta Platinum, US Air Platinum, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Not sure if this is the correct place but with centurion you are granted Delta Platinum status. By logging int your delta account you can go and choose as special bonus gift for achieving platinum. Those choices are

- a free silver median status to gift
- 200 delta gift card
-200 tiffany gift card
-20,000 bonus miles
-Upgrade Certificates
-Skyclub passes

I was unsure if everyone knew about this secret amenity. Worth at least 200 or whatever a free medallion status is worth. It would be a shame to not take advantage of this. I know I did not my first year. But now I get it on my main card and supp cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.