Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

When you purchase your Gift Cards, you may wish to do it through one of these links; a portion of the purchase price will be donated to the applicable charity:

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/komen-gift-card

Or alternatively put in the code KOMEN when you check out

to donate $5/$50 GC to Susan G. Komen for the Cure;

http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/uso-gift-card to donate to the USO;

or to donate to UNCF:
http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/american-air...uncf-gift-card

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See post 1115 for first details of this.

Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE. REPORTS OF AMEX NOT ALLOWING CREDIT IF NOT SELECTED PRIOR.

Purchase cards HERE

The American Express terms and conditions explicitly exclude gift cards from the $200 fee reimbursement benefit:
Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees.
However, there are numerous reports of successful reimbursements of gift card purchases of $100 face value or less. There are numerous reports of unsuccessful reimbursements of gift cards purchases of more than $100.

Please wait a few days (up to 14) after purchase to post in this thread if you have not received reimbursement. Remember, you are purchasing a cash equivalent!

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2014, click HERE.

NOTE: Online gift cards are sent immediately but are subject to a 72-hour hold before they can be used.

American Airlines Gift Cards are easy to redeem on AA.com. If you received a plastic gift card and you're ready to redeem your gift card, be sure to gently scratch off the grey film covering the four-digit PIN # on the back of the card. If you received a virtual card you may retrieve your Card # and PIN # by clicking on the link sent to you via email.

On the payment screen, enter both the Card # and PIN # exactly as they appear on the back of the gift card. You may use up to eight gift cards at one time. If the total price of the ticket exceeds the value of your gift card(s), you may use a credit card for any remaining balance.

The gift cards can only be used to purchase tickets, nothing else.

Terms:
Gift cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*, which includes US Airways operated flights. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Gift cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Up to eight Gift Cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Gift Card(s), the difference may be paid only with a credit, debit or charge card with a billing address in the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands. If the ticket price is less than the value of the Gift Card(s), the unused portion will remain on the gift card until it is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; Preferred Seats charges; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; American Airlines Vacations℠ or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Gift cards will not be accepted if the card number is invalid, has not been activated, or cannot be found within the American Airlines system.

General
Neither American Airlines nor US Airways Gift Cards have an expiration date nor lose their value over time.

Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their AA Gift Cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555. Customers may contact US Airways for questions or help with their US Gift Cards by calling 800-428-4322.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than American Airlines and participating retailers may not be valid or may have less redeemable value than promised by an unauthorized seller. American Airlines is not responsible for honoring invalid gift cards or values.
American Airlines reserves the right to deactivate or reject any Gift Cards issued or procured, directly or indirectly, in connection with fraudulent actions, unless prohibited by law.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/productsGifts/giftCard.jsp

Regarding New Jersey Residents Current and Former:

AA's system will not sell gift cards to anyone with New Jersey info in their AMEX profile (and possibly AA profile). Your purchase will usually appear to go through, but when you try to activate the card a few days later it will be invalid.

You need to either choose another airline for this reimbursement, or cleanse your AMEX profile of NJ addresses and phone numbers, and possibly your AA profile as well.

See what is currently post 519 for first details of this.

Post 1126 proves to be current, regarding NJ residents. YMMV, until there are more DP's.

Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: AA only [2011-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:58 am

I exhausted usual $200 reimbursement in January for 1x$200 GC. Credit was automatically applied.

I purchased 1x$500 GC on 3/23/14. Credit did not automatically post. I called, CSR said it might take a few weeks. I waited until this weekend and then contacted via chat and this CSR applied the credit manually. It has now posted. CSR said they all have to be done manually, but based on this thread that doesn't seem to be the case. YMMV.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by djibouti
Exhausted original $200 early in the year. Purchase 1x$100 3/31, reimbursed 4/3.
Just purchased 2x$100 in separate transactions, will post when reimbursed.

Posted 2 business days later, just bought last 2x$100.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by KrissyK90
Does anyone know if I can use those gift cards toward US Airways flights?
Yes. Terms say if you book any partner using AA codeshare you get reimbursed. That should cover all US flights.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pallhedge
That should cover all US flights.
It appears you must book the AA codeshare flight number:

Q. Will I be able to redeem my American Airlines gift card for a US Airways operated flight?
A. Yes, you can use your American Airlines gift card to book US Airways codeshare flights on aa.com (no ticketing fee) or you can call American Airlines Reservations at 800-433-7300 (ticketing fees apply).

Q. Can I redeem my American Airlines gift card with US Airways Reservations?
A. No, you can redeem them on aa.com for no fee or through American Airlines Reservations at 800-433-7300. Ticketing fees apply.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/a...g_GiftCard.jsp

Last edited by mia; Apr 8, 2014 at 1:44 pm
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia
It appears you must book the AA codeshare flight number:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/a...g_GiftCard.jsp
That is correct. I tried to book a US flight, EWR to PHX found on AA.com, but gift card was not a choice for payment. I switched to an AA codeshare flight number (same flight, same day and time) and gift card popped up as a payment option.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Yes. Terms say if you book any partner using AA codeshare you get reimbursed. That should cover all US flights.
Be careful, though. The codeshare fare is often higher (sometimes MUCH higher) than booking directly with US.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Data point. Bought $100 GC on 4/4, reimbursed today, 4/8.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by crimson12
What did you say when you called/ Presumably you didn't say you were buying GCs?
It was chat, but no I just said I used it to pay a fee.

The CSR (this was on 4/7) said it would certainly post by 4/11 (statement closing date), but that hasn't happened. I suppose I'll chat again tomorrow to see what's up.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:54 pm

Purchased 7 stickers last month (3 at MIA, 4 at PTY) and no credits have posted. Just a data point for those who purchase 500 mile stickers at the airport. Will chat with Amex tomorrow and see if they can manually apply credits.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
After hearing successful reports about the extra $100 credit I went ahead and purchased one online AA gift card with my card on 3/26 only to not get the auto credit in the usual time frame (2-3 days). I already maxed out the annual $200 credit with AA in January. Long story short, after four chat attempts, I finally gotten the credit. But a supervisor had to manually issued the credit. The transaction is different from the previous airline fees one.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cfo314
I exhausted usual $200 reimbursement in January for 1x$200 GC. Credit was automatically applied.

I purchased 1x$500 GC on 3/23/14. Credit did not automatically post. I called, CSR said it might take a few weeks. I waited until this weekend and then contacted via chat and this CSR applied the credit manually. It has now posted. CSR said they all have to be done manually, but based on this thread that doesn't seem to be the case. YMMV.
I am having the same issue... first $100 credit posted automatically. Talked to a CSR and the subsequent $400 credit is not going to post automatically, and I have to wait at least 14 days for them to do it manually.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by lad2
After hearing successful reports about the extra $100 credit I went ahead and purchased one online AA gift card with my card on 3/26 only to not get the auto credit in the usual time frame (2-3 days). I already maxed out the annual $200 credit with AA in January. Long story short, after four chat attempts, I finally gotten the credit. But a supervisor had to manually issued the credit. The transaction is different from the previous airline fees one.
Yeah. I'm having the same issue, too. I got the regular $200, but the extra $100 didn't go through. Did you tell them it was for a gift card?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA(xPLT now GLD), UA, DL, HH(GLD), MR(GLD), HY(DIS), and others...
I just had a weird experience - I had not heard from Amex regarding the changes in Admirals Club access from the Platinum Card benefit. I got no email and I was aware of the changes from day 1. Finally, this week, I called Amex customer service to try to claim my "extra" credit from the changes. I am AA Plat but not a big spender on the Plat Card.

To my astonishment, the customer service agent at Amex told me that there was a $500 credit on my account for use on American Airlines purchases (not tickets, etc.) as a result of the changes in the card benefits. I had been expecting $100 or $200 since I had not heard from them at all. I was amazed. I asked if there was something that they could send me to confirm the credit but she said no, the credit was posted to the account. I won't complain and I will keep the card at least one more year.

Now, my question is - I want to use this to purchase gift cards that I can use against airfare in May. Most advice here has been to buy $100 cards. But I am wondering how many cards can be used against one ticket?

What has the experience been in getting refunds for $200 or larger cards? Is it safe to buy 1 $500 card, or a $200 and a $300 card? Or do I need to do 5 $100 cards???
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by echoch
Now, my question is - I want to use this to purchase gift cards that I can use against airfare in May. Most advice here has been to buy $100 cards. But I am wondering how many cards can be used against one ticket?
You may enter up to eight gift cards towards your ticket.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
first $100 reimbursement made, line on AMEX acct says " AMEX SPECIAL OFFER - CREDIT FOR AA/USAIR "

Took 3 days for AA transaction to post, and then another 3 days for credit to be made

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.