Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2009, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
On the whole, I think these changes -- the addition of one-way awards -- is generally a positive thing, even without the stopovers. In truth, this lets you have *more* stopovers and more flexibility than under the previous system -- it lets you combine a single award for travel to multiple regions, often for less than what a OneWorld award would have cost (and without the two-carrier limitation/requirement of a OW award).

That said, I would be much more ok with this latest change if they reverted to the old OneWorld award rules, counting only the distance between the stopovers and not the as-flown distance.

Letter writing campaign, anybody?
Old May 11, 2009, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LaFrequentFlyerViva
I can't imagine why they would give a "huge benefit" to thos who rarely travel on American, while making loyal, frequent/business travellers pay up to DOUBLE the mileage amounts for the same exact trips [such as flying New York to Delhi w/a London stopover might incur.] Taxing their biggest customers an extra 50,000 miles is BAD BUSINESS - especially to spring this on us w/no warning.
AAdvantage credit card customers and AAdvantage's non-airline partner customers are big money as far as AA is concerned, and it's a small minority of these customers (and even all AAdvantage customers) who redeem anything but a simple roundtrip award when redeeming an award ticket. Most of the customers don't need a one-way award, but with one-way awards the airline and airline partners can talk up sign-up and promotional bonuses being enough miles for a reward flight or two whether the bonus/promotion is truly useful for that purpose when it comes to most of the target market or not.
Old May 11, 2009, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by LaFrequentFlyerViva
I can't imagine why they would give a "huge benefit" to thos who rarely travel on American, while making loyal, frequent/business travellers pay up to DOUBLE the mileage amounts for the same exact trips [such as flying New York to Delhi w/a London stopover might incur.] Taxing their biggest customers an extra 50,000 miles is BAD BUSINESS - especially to spring this on us w/no warning.
Where on earth are you getting this double the mileage crap?

For an example . lets assume coach from jfk to del. Under the old system it was 90k miles roundtrip with a stop allowed in lhr. Assuming you start jfklhr in off peak you would spend 20k 1way to london. Later spend 20k 1way from lhr del. Then return del back to jfk no stops for 45k. Do the math.
Old May 11, 2009, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
We have an upcoming LAX-LHR-DUB-ORD-LAX trip with a stopover in LHR. That is definitely costing AA money as they have to shell out for the LHR-DUB segment on a partner.

I'm not happy abou this either, as the above trip would be quite a bit more if I had to buy four one ways to DUB and given that I'm already paying $$$ for taxes and fees, so the flights aren't "free" to begin with.
To be fair, you dont expect the airlines to pick up the taxes and airport fees, do you?

When you pay for a revenue ticket, the taxes and fees are always separated from the airfare which is the seat itself. You do get a free seat, dont you?

I can understand the expedite fee is not a fair fee because of e-tickets. To argue the airline should pay the taxes, security fee, US immigration fee, etc etc, I think it is being GREEDY.
Old May 11, 2009, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
To be fair, you dont expect the airlines to pick up the taxes and airport fees, do you?
A bit of history: when I signed up for AAdvantage in 1984, that's exactly what they did. A FREE ticket cost me $0 -- what a novel concept. All facilities fees, fuel surcharges, etc. were absorbed by the program. And the FREE ($0) ticket included food (with wine), bag fees, etc. and there was no ticketing fee.

Who's GREEDY now [your caps]?
Old May 11, 2009, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Date & time changes have always been free; why were you paying $150/pp and why did you needed a supervisor to redeposit and re-issue the award?
My return date was almost 3 months later. Ticket was issued in Jan 09 (for Dec 09 departure) and return would be in March 2010. The trip (on award ticket) has to be completed within 1 year of ticket issue date (i.e by Jan 2010). Thus I needed to have the ticket reissued. As my outbound flight on CX was no longer available (no surprise there) I had to go through a supervisor so I could keep my original outbound flight. Now I can book them separately as one ways and 3 months apart.
This does not apply to paid tickets - trip only has to begin within 1 year of issue, can be completed anytime.

Last edited by Paulchili; May 11, 2009 at 7:13 pm
Old May 11, 2009, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, OneWorld Sapphire
Who wins?

In your point-of-view who are the winners and losers of AA's new policy?
Old May 11, 2009, 7:02 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hillrider

Who's GREEDY now ?
The passenger expecting all the fees and taxes, despite the history you posted.

Cheers.
Old May 11, 2009, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't expect AA to pay the taxes, etc. but it would be nice for them to waive the award ticketing fee for EXPs. All in all it is costing about 150 per person for our upcoming free trip. Throw in a couple hundred bucks for a cheap Intra-EU flight per person and that free trip for a family of four isn't so free anymore. (Especially since that intra-Europe flight will probalby be on an airline that will charge us baggage fees, etc.)
Old May 11, 2009, 7:26 pm

I don't expect AA to pay the taxes, etc. but it would be nice for them to waive the award ticketing fee for EXPs. All in all it is costing about 150 per person for our upcoming free trip. Throw in a couple hundred bucks for a cheap Intra-EU flight per person and that free trip for a family of four isn't so free anymore. (Especially since that intra-Europe flight will probalby be on an airline that will charge us baggage fees, etc.)
Award ticketing fees are waived for awards claimed from an EXP's account.
Old May 11, 2009, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hillrider
A bit of history: when I signed up for AAdvantage in 1984, that's exactly what they did. A FREE ticket cost me $0 -- what a novel concept. All facilities fees, fuel surcharges, etc. were absorbed by the program. And the FREE ($0) ticket included food (with wine), bag fees, etc. and there was no ticketing fee.

Who's GREEDY now [your caps]?
Consider the airfares have come down a lot when comparing to 1984, I think it is very clear who is GREEDY.

Flying is a whole lot cheaper than in your old time. If you want the old time, then pay the old time price, inflation adjusted, - then you would have Stewardess (not flight attendant as they are called now) wearing hat and gloves to serve you!
Old May 11, 2009, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Out of the $150, only the $20 phone ticketing fee could be argued as unfair if the trip is a simple partner award without taking much agent's time to search for routes. The expedite fee can be avoided if booked outside the short notice window. So you are talking about $20 extra per person.

The other option is not to fly.

You take the trip you can comfortably afford. If a few hundreds extra per person can break the bank, then that trip probably should not happen if budget is so tight.
Old May 11, 2009, 7:47 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Exclamation OP now contains links to relevant AA pages

The AA One-Way Flex Award information page and FAQ are now linked from the OP for easier reference.

/Moderator
Old May 11, 2009, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mygirlsmom
Award ticketing fees are waived for awards claimed from an EXP's account.
I meant the 20/dollar per person phone fee, which is not waived, and since it is impossible to book a stopover (or was before these changes) without calling, it wasn't optional. If it was optional, we got screwed, because the miles did come from an EXP account.

My point is that the carrot AA (and other airlines and hotels) hold out for the FF programs is the promise of FREE! travel. That carrot looks more withered and stale with every change.
Old May 11, 2009, 8:52 pm

I meant the 20/dollar per person phone fee, which is not waived, and since it is impossible to book a stopover (or was before these changes) without calling, it wasn't optional.
Oh, sorry, I thought you meant the under 21 day fee. The $20 fee doesn't apply for EXP members or anyone booked in the same record locater as the EXP. If you were charged for this, you should ask for a refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.