Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2009, 10:09 am

I'm really confused now

Seems like last flight in/out rule is no longer in effect for HI. Guess it will now be a hop/skip/trip/jump to get where we want to go for the 4 hr rule (and probably luggage having a wonderful journey too).
I'm just wondering what accomodations will be made when weather will be wreaking havoc on schedules (hurricane/t-storms is just around the corner). Will the 4hr rule be invoked when in-route?
I'm also wondering what type of accomodations will be made when there are schedule changes (flights be cut for seasonal/$ reasons). I'm sure miles will be reinstated w/o penalty -- I guess that's where cancellation insurance come in). This change really makes planning a trip for a family chanllenging when your destination only has one flight in/out a day (ie. KOA, LIH).

Last edited by cmjaffe; May 11, 2009 at 10:31 am Reason: just checked aa.com and my post here is too long winded
Old May 11, 2009, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by Jailer
Wow, hard hitting investigative reporting from USA Today…so it’s all good. Or, did they just have AA’s PR department write the piece to save money?
Yes journalists are often lazy and just re-write what is given to them.

They for got 2 other Advantages, though only usable for few of us.

1. Double Open Jaws.
2. Round-theWorld trip now have become much much cheaper in terns of miles and may be done for as little as 90K miles (75K miles with a No-Frills O/W flight or little overland travel from one region to another region).

From USAToday article: If it took AA 1 year to change software and reprogram AA.com then it will take United Airlines at least 2 years to match. Prove me wrong United Airlines.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Yes journalists are often lazy and just re-write what is given to them.

They for got 2 other Advantages, though only usable for few of us.

1. Double Open Jaws.
2. Round-theWorld trip now have become much much cheaper in terns of miles and may be done for as little as 90K miles (75K miles with a No-Frills O/W flight or little overland travel from one region to another region).

From USAToday article: If it took AA 1 year to change software and reprogram AA.com then it will take United Airlines at least 2 years to match. Prove me wrong United Airlines.

How do you get to double open jaw?

One way award DFW-CDG
One way award FRA-DFW

Seems like a single open jaw to me. What am I missing?
Old May 11, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: AA 2MM LTP;Marriott Platinum
New AAdvantage Award Booking Buggy??

Perhaps this belongs in a different thread, but it seems the new award booking engine is buggy. Last night it was working most of the time for me, but I still had to refresh the flight selection page sometimes to get it to display the flight choices correctly. Today (on a different computer with a newer version of IE) it is rare that I can get it to display the flight selection page correctly (usually no graphics) even after multiple refreshes. Perhaps the AA servers are just being overwhelmed?

Is anyone else seeing problems?
Old May 11, 2009, 10:39 am

Partner awards also an option

Wondering if the HI inter-island award offered for one -way at 1/2 mileage. Might be a way of saving $$ for island hop, though at times the fare isn't that high.

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by TULOKCICT
Perhaps this belongs in a different thread, but it seems the new award booking engine is buggy. Last night it was working most of the time for me, but I still had to refresh the flight selection page sometimes to get it to display the flight choices correctly. Today (on a different computer with a newer version of IE) it is rare that I can get it to display the flight selection page correctly (usually no graphics) even after multiple refreshes. Perhaps the AA servers are just being overwhelmed?

Is anyone else seeing problems?
I think this is to be expected. others have reported numerous issues with aa.com this weekend and I would expect it to take a few more days before they work out the glitches

Programs: AA 2MM LTP;Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Deltahater

One way award DFW-CDG
One way award FRA-DFW

Open jaw on the return?

JFK-CDG
FRA-PHL
(Possibly useful when there is no availability to your preferred airport on the return and you live somewhere with good public transportation.)
Old May 11, 2009, 10:48 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Another perturbation

I suspect that Biz class overnight flights to Europe will be harder to redeem as anyone who wants to hit the bricks running, but who has limited miles, will only upgrade going east.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Jailer
I suspect that Biz class overnight flights to Europe will be harder to redeem as anyone who wants to hit the bricks running, but who has limited miles, will only upgrade going east.
One-way upgrades have always been possible.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:56 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by Colin

One-way upgrades have always been possible.
Seriously, Colin, I had no idea. Are you telling me that all along, when there was only economy award availability one way, I could split the difference in miles and upgrade the other way? If so, I missed that memo, and would have done it a number of times.
Old May 11, 2009, 11:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
updated AAward chart

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...ward_Chart.jsp
Old May 11, 2009, 11:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Deltahater

One way award DFW-CDG
One way award FRA-DFW

I have never described that routing you refer to above as an DOUBEL OPEN JAW anywhere because it is not a Double Open Jaw. However BDL(Hartford CT) -CDG -0 - LHR- BOS would be good for someone who wanted to visit London and Paris but where return availabily LHR-BDL ( via ORD) is not available for desired dates. This would not have been available under old award rules. Bus Boston - Hartford 1 1/2 hours and frequent or family can pick-up. It is only good for peole living near two city centers where public land transport is frequent and cheap ( NYC-PHL, BOS/BDL, MIA/FLL and/or O/W fares low SFO/LAX, DAL/HOU. Again I wastly prefer the Stop-over option.
Old May 11, 2009, 11:39 am
Suspended

[QUOTE=swag;11728648]Here's what we get:
- Book one-way awards
- Combine saver & anytime levels in one ticket
- Combine coach & premium levels in one ticket
- Combine peak & off-peak levels in one ticket
- Book outbound & return at different times, avoiding hassles over Holds, when booking a long trip 330 out
- Book multi-destination awards online (avoiding phone fee)
- Stop over at US gateway city on both outbound & return

What we lose:
- Stopovers except for US gateway
Where do you get this from. I just talked to an AA supervisor who re-confirmed that there are NO US Gateway Stop-over concept anymore. YES you can create one yourself at ( you guessed it ) extra miles ( 12.500 if connecting to US International gateway ( LAX/ORD/DFW/MIA/JFK/BOS) from any other North American departure point.
Old May 11, 2009, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Where do you get this from. I just talked to an AA supervisor who re-confirmed that there are NO US Gateway Stop-over concept anymore. YES you can create one yourself at ( you guessed it ) extra miles ( 12.500 if connecting to US International gateway ( LAX/ORD/DFW/MIA/JFK/BOS) from any other North American departure point.
If you book a DCA - JFK (stop) JFK-NRT flight on AA.com it will specifically tell you:

This international award allows a stopover at New York - JFK for no additional miles. Mileage required for both flights is displayed on the Award Legend for the international flight.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:07 pm
hmv

Next update: adding Oneworld partners?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.