Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2009, 5:22 am

Also, if all you need is an overnight for resting in between two long flights (e.g. US-LHR/LHR-JNB), you can build a long connection of less than 24 hrs without being penalized for a stopover. This is very humane and a MAJOR improvement over the limited 6 hr connection allowed on old AAll partners awards.
Old May 12, 2009, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by normcpa
My apologies if this was already asked. (I have read most of the posts above, but not all.) Do you expect any change in "restocking" fees? If you put back 200,000 miles from a RT award when you have a change of plans, it costs you $100 or so (+ 25 or so if miles for more than one ticket were taken from the same account). Now if two 100,000 (one-way) awards are "restocked," will the fees double? My guess is: Yes. Any thoughts?
From the FAQ:
Q: Will I have to pay any additional AAdvantage award or reinstatement charges if I book and ticket two or more one-way awards?
A: When applicable, AAdvantage charges are applied per ticket not per one-way award. Up to four one-way awards can be issued on one ticket.
As I read this, if you build your roundtrip as two separate tickets, for example, if you book at different times, perhaps to secure your outbound before the booking window for the return has opened, then yes, two fees. But if you book the trip together, via the roundtrip or multi-city aa.com search, then it's one ticket and the fees will be unchanged.
Old May 12, 2009, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LaFrequentFlyerViva
Now that Hawaii inter-island fares can only be booked as one-way segments - and, since they are on AA partner Hawaiian Airlines you HAVE to book by phone w/an AA agent, the value of this Award is now next to worthless.
Nothing has changed in this regard. In fact, you can probably add more different things now on one ticket (up to four awards). You pay just one phone fee per ticket, not per flex award.

(I do agree, though, that charging a phone booking fee when that is the only option is disingenuous.)
Old May 12, 2009, 7:32 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by soitgoes

(I do agree, though, that charging a phone booking fee when that is the only option is disingenuous.)
Well, at least this is a feature that hasn't changed with the new rules

Cheers.
Old May 12, 2009, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alien
Notwithstanding NA gateway stopovers..."Passenger has 4/6 hours to connect (depending on domestic or international travel). If there are no scheduled flights within this timeframe, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but, may not exceed 24 hours. If the connection exceeds 24 hours, it will be considered a stopover."
This old rule didn't seem to be "correct" to me. Two of us were ticketed JFK-LHR (stopver) - CPT // CPT-LHR-JFK. On the return, we could only get one award seat on the 8pm LHR-JFK that connected from the arrival of the day flight from CPT. So I was booked (and ticketed) on the LHR-JFK the following morning. More than 6 hours but there was a flight within that window, so should have been counted as a stopover, but we already used the int'l stopover. Hmmm. (Ultimately the 8pm opened up.)
Old May 12, 2009, 8:27 am

deleted...misread above
Old May 12, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
RIP Int'l Stopovers

Originally Posted by smilee
...What was so great about the stopover? ...
It allowed trips like this. My wife and I were able to visit Budapest AND Istanbul on the same 60,000 mile ticket (which could have been 40,000 miles each if we'd waited a few weeks for off-peak).

Obviously, these changes aren't the end of the world; for the same price (in miles) we could almost do the same trip, but we'd be on the hook (either additional miles or $) for the BUD-IST portion (or whatever other stopover to final destination leg).

That being said, it's pretty disappointing that I'm going to have to spend more for the MIA-(AA)-JFK-(AY)-HEL-(AY)-SVO/DME-(IB)-MAD-(AA)-MIA trip that my wife and I were hoping to take next May. My wife and I do everything we can to earn AA miles specifically for these trips with stopovers - we're young and don't have much money to travel, so these stopover trips were a perfect way to see an extra city/country that we otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford to see.

I'd love to be able to say I'm going to switch airlines allegiances and be up in arms about these changes, but when I live in Miami, 5 minutes from MIA, who am I kidding? I'm not willing to connect in ATL every time I want to fly somewhere. AAdvantage it still is for me…
Old May 12, 2009, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCbustravelguy
Just got off the phone with AA, per the agent, a stop-over is any stay in a connecting city of more than 6-hours international, and you are expected to take the first flight. You cannot decide to take a flight the next day, even if it is within the 24-hour period, if there was an earlier flight you could have taken. I spoke to two agents and they both confirmed this. Have any other had luck getting around the 6-hourt next flight out rule???
Yes, see my above post #245. Not sure how it helps anyone, though.
Old May 12, 2009, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by honu
if all you need is an overnight for resting in between two long flights (e.g. US-LHR/LHR-JNB), you can build a long connection of less than 24 hrs without being penalized for a stopover. This is very humane and a MAJOR improvement over the limited 6 hr connection allowed on old AAll partners awards.

Actually, the old awards had NO "connection time" restrictions for international *gateway* stopovers. So, for JFK/LHR/JNB you gould spend 8 days in London or 8 weeks [even 8 months!] in London, enroute to Jo'burg.
Old May 12, 2009, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, the old awards had NO "connection time" restrictions for international *gateway* stopovers. So, for JFK/LHR/JNB you gould spend 8 days in London or 8 weeks [even 8 months!] in London, enroute to Jo'burg.
For stopovers, yes. But the old rules on what counted as a stopover vs. connection were much stricter. You couldn't, for example, spend ca. 20 hours in London in both directions on a trip from JFK-LHR-LNB; that would have counted as a stopover under the old rules, and, while one stopover was allowed at the international gateway, TWO were not allowed.
Old May 12, 2009, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
the old rules on what counted as a stopover vs. connection were much stricter. You couldn't, for example, spend ca. 20 hours in London in both directions on a trip from JFK-LHR-LNB; that would have counted as a stopover under the old rules, and, while one stopover was allowed at the international gateway, TWO were not allowed.

I hear you. But before... you got one free gateway stopover @ unlimited length [up to nearly a year, so long as you complete the entire itinerary in a year] Now that stopover, just ONE way will cost an extra 12,500 miles. And again, a single gateway stopover in the Pacific enroute to Australia, such as Fiji [many Qantas flights have that as an enroute stop from North America] will cost an extra 20,000. For one stop.

(((~grumble~)))
Old May 12, 2009, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hear you. But before... you got one free gateway stopover @ unlimited length [up to nearly a year, so long as you complete the entire itinerary in a year] Now that stopover, just ONE way will cost an extra 12,500 miles. And again, a single gateway stopover in the Pacific enroute to Australia, such as Fiji [many Qantas flights have that as an enroute stop from North America] will cost an extra 20,000. For one stop.
Yes. I understand. I am disappointed as well. I often booked international award tickets with stopovers. In fact, I can't recall an international award ticket I have booked that didn't include a stopover somewhere.
Old May 12, 2009, 9:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I like this.

I can do a Space A out, say Germany-CHS and then for the return trip do CHS-FRA with milesminstead of sitting aronud a MAC terminal in the States with the end of my leave staring me in the face.

Another thought, I don't mind doing a westbound TATL in Y, but the eastbound kills me. I can spilt the trip up into Y and Business.

Very cool.
Old May 12, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
I understand about international stopovers being gone (for free). But can I still do a free stopover in ORD on the way from LHR-ORD-SFO?
Old May 12, 2009, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Nesting on a US Gateway stop-over

Does AA have problems with nesting a paid ticket or another award within an International award. i.e SFO- JFK ( free Stop-over) - LHR during New York Stop-over JFK-DCA-JFK ( paid tix or award). I do not intent to fly this particular route - just an example. I am interested if anyone has ACTUAL knowledge if AA cares anymore with the new O/W awards or if they even have the software to detect. Btw I do fully understand that going JFK-DCA -JFK with another carrier solves the problem. but my question is AA specific - ANYONE with ACTUAL knowlewdge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.