Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I'm going to start using the FA call button. Why not?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm going to start using the FA call button. Why not?!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by audio-nut
There are also ashtrays on many aircraft. Both are relics from a former era.
There are ashtrays on pretty much all aircraft in case a cigarette needs to be stubbed out. The call button is neither a relic, nor an emergency signal.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
I would not use the call button for a drink or other service element. It is rude because it signals to the FAs that I need something urgently, and it interrupts whatever duties they might be carrying out at the time. Instead, I would just stand up (if the seat belt sign and conditions permit) and walk up to the galley to make my request politely.

I would never use the call button except in an urgent/emergency situation.
Couple of problems with this solution. Pressing the FA call button is like getting the attention of the closest restaurant employee and asking them to summon your server, a reasonable request.

Getting out of your seat and interrupting the FA in the galley, on the other hand, is like leaving your table and traipsing into the kitchen at a restaurant in search of your server. That's rude. Just press the call button if you want a beverage - that's what it's there for - don't go invading their workspace.

The other issue are those passengers in window seats when the tray tables are out with meals or laptop computers. Getting up to walk to the galley is more work than necessary.

As others have said, if the FA call button was solely for emergencies or urgent requests, it wouldn't have a symbol of a person holding a beverage on a tray.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Let me tell you something interesting, in reality CX FAs (across all cabins) hate being summoned to call bells as much as their American peer (they probably roll their eyes even more, especially when with what they call a 'cup noodle epidemic' in Y).

Since then I try not to use it anymore especially for like snacks where you can just walk to the galley to place an order.

Of course, the difference is they will never let you know, nor show it to any passenger. That's professionalism to me...
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:56 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
On the BAEC forum the OP would have been beaten to death with their own arm now and I think it is all refreshingly tame here. :
No! With my hairbrush and I let no one die. Too Easy.

Frankly I am amazed at some of the responses. The call bell is their to summon a crew member. If they don't like that then they should not be doing the job. If someone told me that my request for a drink was no an emergency - I would say to her/him that to my throat it was and that if they actually bothered to check on their passengers I would not have needed to ring the thing in the first place.

All that said I have not needed to do so as mostly there has been someone stop by to see if anything was required. I have found the FAs to be obliging. I actually have not had anyone on AA be as rude as some of the examples here.

What is extraordinary is that people seem to have a problem dealing with situations and do not speak up at the time. They seem to have little problem articulating their indignation here in the anonymity of the internet.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
And whne you do you use it the flight attendant will come over and say "hello sir what seems to be the problem".

Meh..
More like, "Whats the emergency?"
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I am wondering about this call button situation. How frequent is an incident of FAs instructing passengers not to use a call button for non-emergency situations?

As my handle says I am an aisle seat guy, and I like to stretch out on long flights. Pretty much I do is to walk up an aisle and ask FAs whatever I want, hence I cannot recall when the last time I actually used a call button was. It is my personal choice, it has nothing to do with what I think a call button is for.

I understand that on U.S. airlines often those call buttons can be ignored by FAs. But I have seen in the Main Cabin passengers on a window seat using a call button and asking for a drink or something and FAs are complying with the request. Likely passengers on a window do not want to disturb passengers on middle and aisle to get out, and have to do same when come back.

I am not saying that FAs instructing passengers to not use a call button for non-emergency situations do not happen. I am wondering if this is frequent thing of it is rare thing?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Even in domestic US F cabins, getting up from the window seat usually involves the person in the aisle seat getting up as well. So unless I'm combining a drink order with a trip to the lav, I use the call button. In the choice between 'inconveniencing' the FA or inconveniencing my fellow passenger, the choice is clear.

Truly, though, I've never had a real issue. I typically look toward the front galley when I press the button. When the FA looks up I try to catch their eye and when I have their attention I turn it off. Most of the time I get friendly service. The rest of the time the service is brusque but has never been hostile.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
There are ashtrays on pretty much all aircraft in case a cigarette needs to be stubbed out. The call button is neither a relic, nor an emergency signal.
I have not seen ashtrays in armrests in years. Where are these ashtrays you are talking about?
Anyway, they have more secure bags now (for exploding phones)
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I have not seen ashtrays in armrests in years. Where are these ashtrays you are talking about?
There's always an ashtray in each lav.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
call button = less cluttered aisles

even as an aisle PAX ... in recent years I have been less hesitant to use the call button for trivial asks such as more water when the aisle is busy. more often than not FA is happy to attend if not mildly appreciative (just my gut feel) that I am not clogging up the aisle.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by rjw242
And from what I've read it's intentionally there so the doofis that does in fact light up a camel breaking the law at least has a proper place to extinguish it rather than through it in the toilet.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
And from what I've read it's intentionally there so the doofis that does in fact light up a camel breaking the law at least has a proper place to extinguish it rather than through it in the toilet.
...Or throw it in a trash bin and start a fire.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rjw242
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
...Or throw it in a trash bin and start a fire.
Precisely.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by cmd320
Call button is there to summon cabin crew for service when they aren't actively delivering it. There's a reason it has a picture of an FA holding a drink on a tray.
Exactly. In addition, the "first things first, let's buckle those belts" lady tells us:

If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. As always, we're here to make your flight great, because great is what we're going for.
Source:

So, we have:
  1. An instruction to ask if we need anything, and
  2. An icon indicating how to summon someone to ask

Based on the above, it seems reasonable to press the button if we need anything.

Cheers,
LBBZman
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:11 pm

Many FAs are hostile to the idea of the call button because they often don't get used and as a result FAs grew accustomed to the idea of them not being used. As often in the workplace, certain 'unofficial' incidental benefits turn into ironclad rules for the staff who enjoy the benefit and any attempt to limit or remove the benefit will be fought until the bitter end. (Just take how hard it is to ween staff off frequent overtime pay).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.