Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
International satellite-based Wi-Fi is available on the Boeing 777-200ER, 777-300ER and 787 Dreamliners

International WiFi is Panasonic Ku band satellite based (and is blocked in Chinese air space). Note, the latest batch of 787-8s have Viasat high speed satellite wifi

Link to WiFi page on AA.com.

Originally Posted by arollins
From AA.com upper right corner there is a search box, enter WIFI, scroll through the info, and you get the following.

For international and select domestic flights, contact the service provider
Panasonic
Call 1-866-924-3715 (toll-free)
Email [email protected]

For Panasonic equipped aircraft:
The Wi-Fi access page will display “service provided by Panasonic”
Your credit card statement charges will appear as ”PAC WIFI”
International Wi-Fi is currently only available for purchase once onboard the aircraft at the following prices:

. . . . . . . . 2 Hour Pass – $12
. . . . . . .. .4 Hour Pass – $17
. . . . . . . . Duration of Flight Pass – $19

Which aircraft are equipped with international Panasonic WiFi?

Boeing 737 MAX 8 (all, "out of the box”; 737-800s will be covered as they are retrofitted to 172 seat capacity)
Boeing 777-300ER (all, "out of the box")
Boeing 777-200ER (added during refurbishment, all flying have it)
Boeing 787-8 (first batch only)
Boeing 787-9 all, ("out of the box")

Adding
134 Airbus A320 family (319, -20 and -21) according to member tdedj1
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium

Could those of us who have flown the 77W already provide some insight into the aircraft's WiFi service?

Somebody mentioned in another thread that it is free until the end of March. Is this accurate?

Also, is it operated by Gogo? And if it is, will day passes or monthly subscription plans be usable on this service, or are those solely for domestic itineraries?

And lastly, since this is a satellite based system, how is the performance relative to the EVDO based system on domestic aircraft?

I'm sure that we don't have information about every single one of these questions, but it would be good to document what we do know at this point.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haven't yet flown the 77W, but the internet wifi is Panasonic, not GoGo. In several places people who were on the inaugural flight said it was free for the time being.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
Could those of us who have flown the 77W already provide some insight into the aircraft's WiFi service?

Somebody mentioned in another thread that it is free until the end of March. Is this accurate?

Also, is it operated by Gogo? And if it is, will day passes or monthly subscription plans be usable on this service, or are those solely for domestic itineraries?

And lastly, since this is a satellite based system, how is the performance relative to the EVDO based system on domestic aircraft?

I'm sure that we don't have information about every single one of these questions, but it would be good to document what we do know at this point.
Hi Hyperacusis. AA distributed a pamphlet on the inaugural DFW-GRU stating WI-fi would be free on 777-300 direct flights (DFW-GRU, DFW-LHR, JFK-LHR) thought March 27th.

The service is labeled "AA Internet" (same wi-fi network name) but seems to be provided by t-mobile. (At least that's the outgoing connection when connected). So I assume that GoGo subscription won't be of use here.

The pricing displayed on the screen were the following:
2 Hours $12
4 Hours $17
Duration of Flight: $19

Regarding performance, AA had some trouble on the inaugural DFW-GRU but fixed the issue and we were able to utilize the service all the way from GRU-DFW. I would compare speed to GoGo's domestic equipment. No Streaming and o VoIP but reliable enough for emails, web and pictures.

Hope this is of help.

Safe flying!
Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:51 pm

I got some Gogo passes .. dang. thanks
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Interesting..when Gogo hiked rates a month ago I complained- the rep said the rates 'would cover the new international service'...

I terminated my agreement anyway.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by imafaan
Hi Hyperacusis. AA distributed a pamphlet on the inaugural DFW-GRU stating WI-fi would be free on 777-300 direct flights (DFW-GRU, DFW-LHR, JFK-LHR) thought March 27th.

The service is labeled "AA Internet" (same wi-fi network name) but seems to be provided by t-mobile. (At least that's the outgoing connection when connected). So I assume that GoGo subscription won't be of use here.

The pricing displayed on the screen were the following:
2 Hours $12
4 Hours $17
Duration of Flight: $19

Regarding performance, AA had some trouble on the inaugural DFW-GRU but fixed the issue and we were able to utilize the service all the way from GRU-DFW. I would compare speed to GoGo's domestic equipment. No Streaming and o VoIP but reliable enough for emails, web and pictures.

Hope this is of help.

Safe flying!
Very interesting, thanks for all the info!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
I used it this past week and it worked very well.

Speeds were decent, but I wasn't able to get netflix to load, which was kind of disappointing.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
Speeds were decent, but I wasn't able to get netflix to load, which was kind of disappointing.
160+ movies on the IFE and you want to stream video over the wi-fi

Shouldn't be surprised about problems with Netflix, streaming and VOIP are supposed to be blocked.

Given the limited bandwidth it needs to be that way so everyone else can stand a chance of getting decent browsing speeds.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:32 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I thought the reason to go with Panasonic was for the ability to offer WiFi over the ocean(i.e. satellite based) since GoGo is currently only available when flying over the Continental US (i.e. ground based).
Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
[QUOTE=Mark_T;20221477]160+ movies on the IFE and you want to stream video over the wi-fi

Sure do- the screen on the new 77W is nice, but the selection really isn't that great.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
Sure do- the screen on the new 77W is nice, but the selection really isn't that great.
I carry an iPad to cover the occasions when the IFE isn't meeting my needs.

With a shared resource like inflight wi-fi I think we need to moderate our expectations and keep individual bandwidth use low, so I wouldn't expect streaming video from a ground based location any time soon.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
I thought the reason to go with Panasonic was for the ability to offer WiFi over the ocean(i.e. satellite based) since GoGo is currently only available when flying over the Continental US (i.e. ground based).
You're right. GoGo is developing their own satellite based system, but it won't be operational for another couple of years, IIRC.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 5:42 pm

Update: flew 77W on Feb 7. Service is not "AA Internet", but rather "AA Inflight". Service provider is T-Mobile/Panasonic. Panasonic field worker was inflight and said they are having issues with their software, not the Satelite. The only service I was able to get was mobile.aa.com. They plan software update this week and hope to restore service soon.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by Mark_T

With a shared resource like inflight wi-fi I think we need to moderate our expectations and keep individual bandwidth use low, so I wouldn't expect streaming video from a ground based location any time soon.
Forget about streaming at 35,000 feet, on the ground I often can't get Hotel Wi-Fi to be fast enough for anything but reading FT or emails.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:53 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
I was on the 77W last week and internet did not work I could not pass the login screen, tried several devices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.