Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (consolidated)

This is the archive of older posts for this subject. For the current thread, please see:

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)
Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage Platinum Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See www.aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at www.aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: 31 Dec 2015

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:26 am

Angry lost luggage help

background info: i flew AA 3 times in the past 8 months from NYC to ORD and back. On the first return flight (beginning of january) my luggage was delayed 2 days. On the second return flight (mid march) my luggage was lost and still is. and on april 23 i flew from Chicago to EWR and i my luggage was delayed again.

when my luggage was lost i filed a claim and a created a spreadsheet of all the articles of clothing and split it between 2 printed sheets of paper. i triple checked all the info for the claim before i sent it out.
i later get a letter saying didn't complete the form so i can't get any compensation.i called them saying i made sure to complete the form to the fullest. the CSR said we are missing the sheet of paper with the prices for the clothing. i said i triple checked its in there. so she had them check the original documents and there it was!!
but now because the closed my claim and the reopened it it has to be manually put back into the flow and i still have not receive a penny of compensation for my lost luggage??? can anyone help me out as to who i can contact to speed the process up or something like that? TIA
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
Originally Posted by racer7400
background info: i flew AA 3 times in the past 8 months from NYC to ORD and back. On the first return flight (beginning of january) my luggage was delayed 2 days. On the second return flight (mid march) my luggage was lost and still is. and on april 23 i flew from Chicago to EWR and i my luggage was delayed again.

when my luggage was lost i filed a claim and a created a spreadsheet of all the articles of clothing and split it between 2 printed sheets of paper. i triple checked all the info for the claim before i sent it out.
i later get a letter saying didn't complete the form so i can't get any compensation.i called them saying i made sure to complete the form to the fullest. the CSR said we are missing the sheet of paper with the prices for the clothing. i said i triple checked its in there. so she had them check the original documents and there it was!!
but now because the closed my claim and the reopened it it has to be manually put back into the flow and i still have not receive a penny of compensation for my lost luggage??? can anyone help me out as to who i can contact to speed the process up or something like that? TIA
I kept calling their baggage department at the airport until it was resolved. Or next time you're flying speak to them in person.

AA's service in this area is very sub-par. I no longer fly on their steel as a result.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by xtremeski2001
I kept calling their baggage department at the airport until it was resolved. Or next time you're flying speak to them in person.

AA's service in this area is very sub-par. I no longer fly on their steel as a result.
I have tried calling the central baggage many times but no help because they need to manually put it back into the flow. they say there is nothing they can do but send messages to the compensation department to ask for an update. will calling the baggage at the airport help any more? TIA
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Delayed Baggage Compensation

I'm not an AA flyer at all by all means.. Nonetheless, I have redeemed AS, and BA miles to fly AA here and there.. My experiences are typically mediocre. Recently I booked a last minute trip to GYE. Upon arrival in GYE my baggage did not arrive. I instructed AA to send the baggage to TRU airport ASAP. Four days later and several calls I have not got my baggage. I just found out that they delivered it to the hotel I stayed at in GYE (I never instructed my baggage to be delivered there, as my stay was short) So finally after hours or calling Ecuador, and the United States I managed to get in touch with GYE who got the baggage back and is sending it here. It will go to Lima tonight (hopefully) and have to spend a night before continuing to Trujillo.

I've been without clothes for several days, and the options here are very limited even with my spending allowance.. As much as I despise Macy's I'd give anything for 30 mins in one of their stores.. What should I expect for compensation? They totally dropped the ball here. They had the baggage, and knew where it was the whole time, yet delayed it for a week.. I'm not in a major city where I can easily replace my necessities. I believe AA Customer service is very poor. So I want to know what I should expect/ask for before furthering my complaint to the BBB/DOT.
Please no AA apologist replies. I spent about 24 hours to get to Guayaquil, and landed with the clothes on my back, and proceeded to rural Peru with just that thanks to AA.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Search term: compensation

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum, where it will be merged into the lengthy existing thread.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled PLEASE READ ME BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by ckendall
Just an update that the AA people in DCA allegedly had a "system problem" and despite sending me a message that luggage would arrive in DCA yesterday, there has been no update about where it is and when it will arrive. A call to AA luggage claimed the bag had arrived at DCA but was unable to be processed and should be processed some time soon. Bleah.
A happy followup to my update. Day T+2 there was no indication that the bag was coming and I told my friend to buy what she needed and keep the receipts. The bag did arrive late on day T+2 but I sent in the receipts for around $80.

The AA refund mechanism was a bit odd. I got regular automated phone calls, one to acknowledge receipt of my letter, one to acknowledge that it was in process and a third to acknowledge that it had been processed but that they could tell me nothing over the phone but that I would receive something by mail in 7 to 10 days.

Today (a week after her return flight to Europe) the check arrived and so all is more or less well.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Delayed baggage compensation: how to?

So, flying MVD-MIA-DFW one of our bags didn't make it MIA-DFW. If they get it back to us tonight then no problem, but if they don't get it here tonight then my wife needs to buy something to wear to a meeting, etc... probably in the $100-$200 range. I know AA usually doesn't give too much grief in these situations as long as you have a receipt and your purchases are reasonable, but where/how do we go about asking for the refund? Must it be done at the airport (we aren't flying back out of DFW for a while) or can we do it over the phone/by email/etc?

Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:31 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merging into our existing thread discussing lost/delayed baggage. Thanks. /Moderator

Sorry to hear of your bag situation. I'd recommend going ahead and calling AA's baggage department and have them authorise a few hundred dollars for your wife to purchase any necessary goods. Then you'll just need to follow their instructions. (I believe you have to mail in your receipts and include the lost baggage locator. They'll then mail out the check to you a week or two later if the charges are approved.)
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
As long as you have filed a report at the airport, you should have good luck with negotiating over the phone for reimbursements. Last time I had to deal with this was ~2 years ago, but the phone agents were able to approve expenses once I provided the airport claim form #. This was in MIA, if that helps.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
My friend (noted above) was sort of clueless but kept all documentation (luggage ticket/tracking numbers etc.) which I mailed in with receipts and got reimbursement for a bit less than $100 of stuff.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:16 am

Transiting Between AA and AB- Lost Baggage

Hi,
I was flying AA 242 from ORD to DUS 10/3, then Air Berlin from DUS to ZRH 10/4. Got to ZRH and realized after everyone else had their baggage that my bag was not there. Filed a report with Swissport, but have not heard anything from them and it still looks like my bag is missing online. I have no cell phone service here so I cannot call AA or AB to see where my bag was seen last. Anyone have any suggestions? Who would be responsible for the bag in this case?

I tried twitter and sent a direct message to AA, but all they said is the bag was tagged for ZRH so it should not still be in DUS. I asked multiple AA gate agents and flight attendants if my bag would be at baggage claim in DUS and they said no since I would be transiting. I will be here for two weeks and have already had to buy toiletries and a set of clothes so I hope to get reimbursed.

Thanks
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Lost bags are the responsibility of the final carrier, regardless of who lost it, in terms of communicating with you, reuniting it with you if found, or compensating you for it if never recovered. Among other reasons, this allows you to deal with them with a local phone call at your destination. You should call Air Berlin in ZRH to follow up. They may in fact have enough information to tell you that they never received it from AA - while that may be true, that doesn't change the fact that they're responsible for handling it, dealing with you, and potentially compensating you, per the way interline checked bag agreements work.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 5:37 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Transiting Between AA and AB- Lost Baggage

Sorry to hear a bag was lost involving AB. Their assistance has not been stellar.

This thread should probably be moved to AB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.