Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVED: Expiring (28 Feb 2015) SWU giveaway thread [PLEASE READ WIKI!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

As in past years, we often have very generous members of our community give away expiring systemwide upgrades. A reminder that upgrades will generally only be confirmed for flights on/before the 28 Feb expiry. (In the past, upgrades could sometimes be applied to flights post-expiration date as long as it could be confirmed. However, AA has recently become more strict. See this thread for more information: New *internal* changes will 90%+ eliminate post-expiration use of SWUs

Please familiarise yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to the rules will be removed.
Space
  • Asking for SWUs is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.
  • In order to comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWUs must given freely, with no strings attached.
  • Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.
  • Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itins, international vs. domestic itins, etc.).
  • This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients.
  • If anybody offers to sell, buy, or trade SWUs by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. (Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.)

Thanks everyone!

/AAdvantage forum moderators
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, AA, UA, DL, SPG, AMEX

I have 2 AA SWU which I want to give away for free. They expire on 02/28/15. If this is against FT terms, MODS are free to remove it. Just reply on this thread and I will give away to any one who meet below criteria:
1. Those wanting to use for International flight gets precedence over domestic and upgrade space should be available in their desired flight. Only first 50 replies will be considered (of-course from different handles).

Hope some one can use them.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

I am going to wait till morning 9 am PST before deciding.. Adding source destination gcmap distance would help as I want to give it to someone with long trip in Y.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
i have this sunday booked LAS-JFK-BOS ... wouldn't mind to have one =)
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Closing the thread now for any more additions. Will update the thread with folks who got lucky in an hour.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:58 am
Original Poster

I am adding 2 more SWU's for the gift, so in total 4 SWU's. The current order based on distance (approx) where SWU can be applied is as below. First 3 folks in the list please confirm the number of SWU required against your name is correct? Sorry for others as of now but in case the first 3 folks do not take it you are next in order listed.

1. ORD-DFW-HKG - BRUCE770 -- 8924 - 2 SWU required?
1. ORD-DFW-HKG - ORDPLATAA -- 8924 - 1 SWU required?
2. PVG-DFW-GSP Ben296 -- 8212 - 1 SWU required?

--------------------------------------------
DFW-ICN 86gn -- 6841
IAD-DFW-MIA-LHR rhuerta36 -- 6717
LHR-DFW-ONT kauppias -- 5938
ATL-LHR - fotographer -- 4210
YYZ-LGA-JFK-LHR - zakman -- 3806

Last edited by murtuza; Feb 6, 2015 at 1:59 pm Reason: changed rhuerta36 position
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by murtuza
1. Those wanting to use for International flight gets precedence over domestic and upgrade space should be available in their desired flight.
Is there up-front availability on those Hong Kong flights, or hidden EXP availability for EXP level flyers? Expert Flyer doesn't show any C seats. Traditionally, that's been a very tough route to clear until either day of departure or a few days out. Would be a shame for the systemwides to expire unused if they don't clear.

Tom in the air over Southern California
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Thanks Murtuza!!!
Yes, 1 SWU required.
Name is correct.

2. PVG-DFW-GSP Ben296 -- 8212 - 1 SWU required?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Is there up-front availability on those Hong Kong flights, or hidden EXP availability for EXP level flyers? Expert Flyer doesn't show any C seats. Traditionally, that's been a very tough route to clear until either day of departure or a few days out. Would be a shame for the systemwides to expire unused if they don't clear.

Tom in the air over Southern California
I second you Tom. I very well wish they do not go unused. Unfortunately I do not know dates for the folks who have requested, so I would assume them responsible enough to pass it on to someone next in queue. Any better way?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:39 pm

Unfortunately I do not know dates for the folks who have requested, so I would assume them responsible enough to pass it on to someone next in queue.
In the end it all comes down to you calling AA and finding out if the upgrade will clear or be waitlisted. If someone is waitlisted and does not clear when you call, are you going to hold to the criteria you set that upgrade availability must be there? It's your call and your upgrades to do with as you see fit.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
In the end it all comes down to you calling AA and finding out if the upgrade will clear or be waitlisted. If someone is waitlisted and does not clear when you call, are you going to hold to the criteria you set that upgrade availability must be there? It's your call and your upgrades to do with as you see fit.
That is what I thought as well! If upgrade does not clear when on the call, I will pass to next eligible folk on the queue. So, the first set of selected folks do check the upgrade availability before passing on your info (PNR, Name, Address via PM). I will be doing the calls tomorrow morning to begin with. Of-course if there are any SWU's left after the first round, I will put folks on SWU waitlist beginning with the one on top of the list.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Checked availability with AA Agent. Yes for C availability.

PM sent. Thanks a lot, murtuza!!^

your info (PNR, Name, Address via PM).
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:59 pm

Hi everone:

I also got one. I'm crying I can't use it.

First reply gets it.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA EXP, Starwood Gold
Someone has better idea how SWU work? I Place 4 tickets on hold LAX-LHR, called the EXP line and they applied and cleared the SWU immediately and selected two in row 3 & 4.
Today I called to complete purchase and a different agent drop me back to MCE because my swu expire feb 28. I didn't re-qualify this year, so I will have 5 swu left.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shadownite
Someone has better idea how SWU work? I Place 4 tickets on hold LAX-LHR...
What date are the flights?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Shadownite
Someone has better idea how SWU work?
If you go by the written rules, travel has to be completed by February 28 and they can not be applied past that date.

Travel must be completed by the expiration date. Unused upgrades will not be refunded, exchanged or transferred.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...s/upgrades.jsp

There have been some exceptions made in past years for high value flyers and renewing EXP flyers, but can't say I've noticed any blanket policy discussed here allowing an EXP flyer who is not requalifying being able to extend systemwides past February 28. You can read through the associated threads and see if you find any exceptions here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-use-swus.html

Last edited by tom911; Feb 6, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.