Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

For inquiries into the best economy or Main Cabin Extra seat on this aircraft type, see this thread:
Best 77W / 777-300ER Economy Class / Main Cabin Extra / MCE seat (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Seating confirmed: 3-4-3 on the 777 / 77W ... boooooooo

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by AZbba
Why? Because for the average person, when AA comes up at the top of the list on orbitz they will choose it.
What I meant was that for, say, the China routes, MU/CA/CZ can beat them at that game without 10-abreast on 777. For Japan, it's joint-business with JL and they keep their 3-4-3 777s on domestic.

Originally Posted by sxf24
If that extra inch is really that important to you, by all means, fly another airline.
Not that it means much when AA will see that money anyway by way of the Trans-Pacific ATI.
Old May 12, 2012, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hbtr
We DO have some idea. We know it's 3-4-3 and that itself is a HUGE piece of info. There is experience out there with other 3-4-3 configs and the best comment I have seen so far was "it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be" - I have yet to hear anyone say it was "good." We know that no no matter what they do with the seat, there will now be 10 shoulders sitting side-by-side. Yes - maybe it will be so much better than every other 3-4-3 that we'll all be pleasantly surprised. I wish AA would share some info (like the actual seat width or whatever else they think will make this seat a reasonable choice). Even some speculation about how AA might make this actually work would be nice.
My one ever economy flight sector on EK was on a 3-4-3 layout ; having 34" pitch was of better value to me than a slightly wider seat. If I were to fly economy, I would rather have legroom than width. Of course, I don't expect AA to make up for the lack of width by increasing legroom

To be blunt, people can generally address width, height is something that cannot be dealt with
Old May 12, 2012, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Honestly...yes. Aisle seat and an hour flight is MUCH-different than being in a tube for 14 hours with NO shoulder room.

Hop on one of these if you don't believe me. It is hard to believe it is legal. I will do A LOT for a bargain. HOWEVER, I will NEVER step foot on a 10 abreast 777 - even if it was free.
I didn't realize 1" made the difference between comfort and torture.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:37 pm

It does, IMO. I'd personally go out of my way to avoid doing that, and as a TPAC flyer that means flying an Asian airline (not even the Chinese airlines do that).
Old May 12, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sxf24
I didn't realize 1" made the difference between comfort and torture.
You are right. It does however make the difference between tolerable and torture. To cite an extreme example, consider what that would mean if someone's head was in a vice.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca
It does not matter what "they have in store" for the seat.
IT does not matter AT ALL.

It's a 777, 10 seats abreast.
There are 21+ inches between the edge of my shoulders.
Do the math.
Regardless of speculation, wait until such a product exists before trying to state it is that bad

In the end, there are plenty of airlines in the world if one fails to meet ones desires
Old May 12, 2012, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by bernardd
One of the problems I have with AA, and a prime reason for no longer using them on long haul despite my 2+ million miles collected is they have a HUGE product gap between their current $1,000 coach and the $5,000 business products. Degrading coach, offering what is basically current coach as a step up and simultaneously pushing business higher because it now takes up more space does nothing for that gap.

I think that they have a huge product gap between their business class and the business class of airlines I generally use ( ditto for 1st class )

It sounds like they are going to offer a nicer economy offering over the 3-4-3 layout for those prepared to pay a bit extra without needing to go the whole way to business.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:33 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Regardless of speculation, wait until such a product exists before trying to state it is that bad

In the end, there are plenty of airlines in the world if one fails to meet ones desires
Not all of us can choose the airline(s) we fly, so there are good reasons to push back if yours decides to implement a cruddy product. And yes, it's entirely possible and reasonable to extrapolate based on past experience and simple arithmetic. 3-4-3 on a 777 has to suck worse than 2-5-2 (which in turn is a cabin I'd rather avoid if possible); there's no way around it.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Science Goy
Not all of us can choose the airline(s) we fly, so there are good reasons to push back if yours decides to implement a cruddy product. And yes, it's entirely possible and reasonable to extrapolate based on past experience and simple arithmetic. 3-4-3 on a 777 has to suck worse than 2-5-2 (which in turn is a cabin I'd rather avoid if possible); there's no way around it.
There is not that high a % of customers that are forced to fly AA I posit. If nothing else were to change other than the reduction, then indeed it would be worse but everything is pure speculation with no evidence to use

Criticising something that doesn't yet exist has got to be close to the ultimate in criticism with no evidence and on par with trying to ban movies that haven't seen because the people trying to ban it "know" it is bad
Old May 12, 2012, 11:49 pm

Sure. Less than 100K to LT PLT and I'm supposed to start over with someone else?
Old May 12, 2012, 11:49 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Criticising something that doesn't yet exist has got to be close to the ultimate in criticism with no evidence and on par with trying to ban movies that haven't seen because the people trying to ban it "know" it is bad
Actually, it's more like protesting a crappy law that your government is debating but hasn't yet passed. If you don't shoot it down in the trial balloon phase, it's exponentially more difficult to get rid of once it has become reality.

But just to be clear, are you suggesting that 10-across seating might be equal to or better than 9-across? If so, I'm genuinely interested in knowing how that's possible.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:51 pm

And some of them are restricted. I mean, I'd like to fly QF on JFK-LAX, but it's prohibited by law without flying onwards to Australia.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:55 pm

There is not that high a % of customers that are forced to fly AA I posit. If nothing else were to change other than the reduction, then indeed it would be worse but everything is pure speculation with no evidence to use

You're right, the specific product doesn't exist yet. But the concept does exist and I think the criticism of that concept - which IS based on evidence - is reasonable.

I sincerely hope that AA will find a way to make this concept palatable with their implementation. But so far nobody has even been able to speculate how they will do that - the math seems to indicate that it's virtually impossible. Yes, we'll all wait and see. But I and others have a good reason to be concerned.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
When the choice is mine, I will pay a few hundred dollars extra for a long-haul economy seat that acknowledges I have knees and that I'm as wide as my shoulders, not my hips. Looks like AA will have to come off my list of options.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:24 am

When compared to 9-abreast, I am quite sure that 10-abreast will not be a refreshingly intellectual romantic comedy with unexpected character depth, stunning cinematography, with a cliffhanger ending that would make Stephen King squeal.

But I am quite sure it will be more cramped and miserable. For this, I cite common sense and deductive reasoning.

This really reminds me of the Ali G episode where he goes to an anti-abortion rally and says they should try it before they say they don't like it, just like his flame broiled Whopper revelation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.