Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

For inquiries into the best economy or Main Cabin Extra seat on this aircraft type, see this thread:
Best 77W / 777-300ER Economy Class / Main Cabin Extra / MCE seat (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Seating confirmed: 3-4-3 on the 777 / 77W ... boooooooo

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2012, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbashow
...and if you don't end up in MCE....weather/IROPS/misconnect?

You have no idea what you are talking about with the comfort level of 1 less inch of width. KL AF and NZ (in addition to some European package sellers) are flying these. They are HORRIBLE. Until you sit on one for 10+ hours, your statement is reckless and uninformed. After flying NZ, I had a hard time believing to was even legal to put people in that type of environment.
You do have to admit it is better than flying NK, FR, or VN though.
Old May 12, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
You do have to admit it is better than flying NK, FR, or VN though.
On that list, I have only flown NK and FR. Honestly, I was more-comfortable on the NK A319 and the FR 738 than the NZ 77W. It is awful!
Old May 12, 2012, 5:49 pm
Suspended

On that list, I have only flown NK and FR. Honestly, I was more-comfortable on the NK A319 and the FR 738 than the NZ 77W. It is awful!
You were more comfortable on an FR 738 than a NZ 77W?
Old May 12, 2012, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by sxf24
You were more comfortable on an FR 738 than a NZ 77W?
Honestly...yes. Aisle seat and an hour flight is MUCH-different than being in a tube for 14 hours with NO shoulder room.

Hop on one of these if you don't believe me. It is hard to believe it is legal. I will do A LOT for a bargain. HOWEVER, I will NEVER step foot on a 10 abreast 777 - even if it was free.
Old May 12, 2012, 5:58 pm

If AA were planning on using these birds on ORDDFW, or LAXDFW, it would be one thing. These will be assigned to their longest routes. I can't imagine that if others don't follow, it will be a business-negative for AA.
Old May 12, 2012, 6:02 pm

...and if you don't end up in MCE....weather/IROPS/misconnect?

You have no idea what you are talking about with the comfort level of 1 less inch of width. KL AF and NZ (in addition to some European package sellers) are flying these. They are HORRIBLE. Until you sit on one for 10+ hours, your statement is reckless and uninformed. After flying NZ, I had a hard time believing to was even legal to put people in that type of environment.
Think we can hold off on the histrionics and rhetoric until at least ONE person has sampled AA's product? You have no idea what they have in store for the seat, and to speak authoritatively about a product that is still in the development stage is, to use your own words, "reckless and uninformed."
Old May 12, 2012, 6:37 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Originally Posted by JNB280
Think we can hold off on the histrionics and rhetoric until at least ONE person has sampled AA's product? You have no idea what they have in store for the seat, and to speak authoritatively about a product that is still in the development stage is, to use your own words, "reckless and uninformed."
It is not a question of seat design. There is not sufficient space to put 10 seats (any 10 seats) for tall and broad people, as will be most AA customers.

Doing it on asian or middle east airlines is one thing (as people there are usually smaller), doing it on an european airline was a bad call, but doing it on an american airline, where most of their customers are getting bigger each day, is utter blindness.

This is not why AA is bankrupt ( ), but if this is the kind of planning / reasoning / new business model that will emerge from bankruptcy, let us prepare to be scalded.
Old May 12, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
We DO have some idea. We know it's 3-4-3 and that itself is a HUGE piece of info. There is experience out there with other 3-4-3 configs and the best comment I have seen so far was "it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be" - I have yet to hear anyone say it was "good." We know that no no matter what they do with the seat, there will now be 10 shoulders sitting side-by-side. Yes - maybe it will be so much better than every other 3-4-3 that we'll all be pleasantly surprised. I wish AA would share some info (like the actual seat width or whatever else they think will make this seat a reasonable choice). Even some speculation about how AA might make this actually work would be nice.

Last edited by hbtr; May 12, 2012 at 6:50 pm
Old May 12, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
People want cheap fares ; the lower the cost that's wanted , something has to give

If AA is going to 3-3-3 plus 3-4-3, then they are still offering a less crowded section for those prepared to pay higher prices and of course, if people did dislike it, they can always book on other airlines; would be v unlikely that a 777 would be running to a destination where no other options exist
One of the problems I have with AA, and a prime reason for no longer using them on long haul despite my 2+ million miles collected is they have a HUGE product gap between their current $1,000 coach and the $5,000 business products. Degrading coach, offering what is basically current coach as a step up and simultaneously pushing business higher because it now takes up more space does nothing for that gap.

I don't have problem with AA providing "veal crate" service for people who are only willing to pay for that, but I'd prefer them to offer more products / price points than they seem to believe necessary. Until they do it's hard to find a reason to select them.
Old May 12, 2012, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The cupboard of geometry tricks for rectifying inadequate width at shoulder level is a bit bare. Anyone who has flown coach in a CR7 knows the growing discomfort. Do you need to stick a wet finger into a 240VAC socket to know you're not going to like it?
Old May 12, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sxf24
Boeing and airlines have done extensive research on 10 abreast on a 777 and it is not as repelling as most people claim. Also, there's nothing to indicate a slightly wider seat materially improves demand or yields.
Market research or ergonomic research?

Sadly, it's probably true in the sense that while some people may in fact refuse to fly or switch to other carriers, the extra revenue from more seats is probably greater than the revenue lost. And a lot of people - and companies - prioritize price over all else. But from an ergonomic standpoint, it still feels like selling the customer the box of crackers with less product for the same price and justifying how "that's what the public wants." (or will accept).
Old May 12, 2012, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The cupboard of geometry tricks for rectifying inadequate width at shoulder level is a bit bare. Anyone who has flown coach in a CR7 knows the growing discomfort. Do you need to stick a wet finger into a 240VAC socket to know you're not going to like it?
Again, I'll wait to make a judgment until I've sampled the product. I did the same for a recent LH T/A and found that seat more comfortable than the AA 772, which is supposedly 1-1.5" wider with 1" more pitch. I expected the worst and really found it to be more comfortable than comparable flights on AA.
Old May 12, 2012, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I had to fly CX to HAN once and there weren't any seats on KA so my TA put me on VN. Lucky the flt was short (about the same duration of YVR-DFW).
At least VN lets you use the potty.
Old May 12, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
It does not matter what "they have in store" for the seat.
IT does not matter AT ALL.

It's a 777, 10 seats abreast.
There are 21+ inches between the edge of my shoulders.
Do the math.

Unless they drastically reduce the width of the aisles to come up with the extra 17"+, it is going to be VERY uncomfortable.

Again, what are they thinking [AA]?

boooooooooooo
Old May 12, 2012, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by carlosdca
It does not matter what "they have in store" for the seat.
IT does not matter AT ALL.

It's a 777, 10 seats abreast.
There are 21+ inches between the edge of my shoulders.
Do the math.

Unless they drastically reduce the width of the aisles to come up with the extra 17"+, it is going to be VERY uncomfortable.

Again, what are they thinking [AA]?

boooooooooooo
There is a limit to how narrow they can make the aisles in general. That, or the FAA (administratively) or harmed parties (in court) are going to be on AA's case by claiming endangerment by way of AA's making emergency evacuation increasingly difficult.

AA can get away with this reduction in seat width but passengers will feel the pinch in one or more ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.