Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

For inquiries into the best economy or Main Cabin Extra seat on this aircraft type, see this thread:
Best 77W / 777-300ER Economy Class / Main Cabin Extra / MCE seat (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Seating confirmed: 3-4-3 on the 777 / 77W ... boooooooo

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JNB280
As I said before, I was expecting the worst on a recent LH flight in Y and found the seat more comfortable than the AA equiv, which is supposedly wider.
Just curious - what was the LH plane and what was the advertised seat width? I don't think they fly 777s, so I'm curious what you are comparing to what.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No they haven't. What airlines like BA and Qantas have done is provide a separate cabin with a few rows of Premium Economy while leaving the rear the same as before. I believe that having a small premium economy cabin has been very successful
From what little I have experienced, I agree. I fly BA WT+ from time to time and it's usually full or close to full.

What they seem to be doing this time is to redo a small part of the cabin with better pitch; it is a shame , I think, that they haven't gone with putting in a proper premium economy cabin; with a smaller section available for those prepared to pay a bit extra for better comfoirt and a regular cabin for those thatr won't, maybe this time it will work
If it's 3-3-3 instead of 3-4-3, it will probably work - I think there are enough people who will want to avoid 3-4-3 (unless all us complainers turn out to be wrong and the 3-4-3 vastly exceeds our expectations...).

I would also prefer a "proper" premium economy cabin, with a separate cabin and wider seats (most premium econ products appear to be 2-4-2 on 777). But that might be a double-edge sword - for example, would an upgrade from Y put you in J or in premium econ? I think on BA it's the latter.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
You'd have to pay me to fly in 10 abreast coach. I like the points that others have made: think you'll just upgrade out of it, well what about IRROPs?
Old May 14, 2012, 12:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NonRevKid
But the loyal flyers will be in MCE. I'd give up 1 inch of width in order to get 4 inches of legroom. I think that this is a good deal for loyal flyers.
I'm betting you've never sat in a Y seat in a 3-4-3 configuration. I have. It is bearable if your seat mate isn't obese. If he/she is, it is a miserable experience.
Old May 14, 2012, 1:14 am

The market keeps wanting the lowest price; price is being rated much higher than quality.

AA will be offering an improved product with better seating for those prepared to pay a bit extra for extra comfort. The swathes of people who choose the cheapest may have a better chance of finding AA to be so; those that do care more about comfort can pay a bit extra and get it

Given that it isn't going to be a new section for status holders but for those prepared to pay, seems a logical move for a company that needs to turn around and start making money
I don't begrudge AA trying to cut costs to meet market demand. I was only speculating that they're doing so by intentionally delivering an sub-optimal product. I was thinking along the lines of how they offer a crippled IFE in Y on the 777 so that the premium classes look "enhanced."
Old May 14, 2012, 3:29 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Seats in MCE will be free for

AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum®, oneworld® Emerald, oneworld® Sapphire and customers who have purchased a full-fare economy class ticket

AA Gold / OW Ruby will get access until end dec 2013

That suggests to me that only Y and B fares will get complimentary access
That's not what it is. It is free for Plat and EXP. Non-status are free when they purchase full fare.
Old May 14, 2012, 3:45 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by hbtr
I think on BA it's the latter.
It is most certainly the latter. And I agree with you -- I'd rather forego a real Y+ product on AA so I can continue to use my eVIPs to upgrade from Y to J.

That said, if the worst (in this case) does come to pass, there are some people who do very well with the BA model: get the Chase card, put your BA tickets on it, fly, and use the combined miles to MFU from the cheapest WT+ fare to CW. Apparently if you do it correctly, it's almost self-sustaining. I'm sure something similar is possible with AA and Citi (or AA and MBNA, if you're based in the UK).
Old May 14, 2012, 4:44 am

Programs: DL DM
"up to 45 MCE seats"....1/3 of those will be middle seats.....only 1/3 of them aisles. Tell me that on a DFWNRT segment, these won't be filled weeks ahead of time.

I think the worst part of 3-4-3 - HAVING actually flown NZ's product which can't be too-different measurement-wise are the aisles....you can't sleep....you are constantly being bumped.
Old May 14, 2012, 5:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by bubbashow
"up to 45 MCE seats"....1/3 of those will be middle seats.....only 1/3 of them aisles. Tell me that on a DFWNRT segment, these won't be filled weeks ahead of time.

I think the worst part of 3-4-3 - HAVING actually flown NZ's product which can't be too-different measurement-wise are the aisles....you can't sleep....you are constantly being bumped.
I can tell you by my 6'4" frame experience that the aisles in the 3-4-3 configuration are misearable. If I'm "stuck" on these, I actually seek out window seats on these 10+ hour flights to avoid being jostled frequently.
Old May 14, 2012, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by formeraa
Remember the MRTC disaster??? Passengers wouldn't pay a very small premium to have decent legroom. They certainly wouldn't pay anything approaching 10%.

This again. How do we know passengers wouldn't pay a small premium? Was a statistically valid survey taken? Was there a controlled experiment where all other variables were held constant?

With MRTC there were many variables at play, including fares, broader economical issues influencing travel demand, schedule of flights, FF program, etc.

Isn't AA today charging extra for seats with more legroom? I'm certain it must be at least marginally lucrative since they're still doing it.
Old May 14, 2012, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Globehopper
This again. How do we know passengers wouldn't pay a small premium? Was a statistically valid survey taken? Was there a controlled experiment where all other variables were held constant?

With MRTC there were many variables at play, including fares, broader economical issues influencing travel demand, schedule of flights, FF program, etc.

Isn't AA today charging extra for seats with more legroom? I'm certain it must be at least marginally lucrative since they're still doing it.
The fact that passengers won't pay a small premium is demonstrated everyday with passengers making purchase decisions based on the lowest fare. If passengers made purchase decisions based on comfort, JetBlue would have the highest yields in the industry, but they don't.
Old May 14, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
It's difficult for seating to have a quantifiable impact on yield. However, that's not to say that seating has no influence on overall demand. If BA and CX have "N abreast" but AA has "N+1 abreast", there can be defections within the OW alliance -- and that's exactly what I expect to happen.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by sxf24
The fact that passengers won't pay a small premium is demonstrated everyday with passengers making purchase decisions based on the lowest fare. If passengers made purchase decisions based on comfort, JetBlue would have the highest yields in the industry, but they don't.

But some passengers are electing to pay a small premium for better seats, as AA's charging for certain seats demonstrates.

B6's yields have nothing to do with whether AA is able to charge and get extra $ for certain Y class seats.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Globehopper
But some passengers are electing to pay a small premium for better seats, as AA's charging for certain seats demonstrates.

B6's yields have nothing to do with whether AA is able to charge and get extra $ for certain Y class seats.
The key word is some. Hence, why airlines can be financially successful offering a small number of premium economy seats, but fail at obtaining a revenue premium for having a superior coach product.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Clipper110A
At 6 ft 3, 200 pound relatively gym toned body, I am a person of size on 3-4-3 777 and will need the mAAin cabin bed hahahaha
Originally Posted by halls120
I'm betting you've never sat in a Y seat in a 3-4-3 configuration. I have. It is bearable if your seat mate isn't obese. If he/she is, it is a miserable experience.
POS doesn't necessarily mean obese.. I'm in decent shape, but no matter how much I work out or laze around, it's not going to change the width of my shoulders.. which are 52" around.

If anything, I was more fit in high school, and my chest was bigger then than it is now!

Still planning on jumping to AA.. I don't do enough international travel for this change to bother me much. Sorry in advance if I'm crowding into your seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.