Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

For inquiries into the best economy or Main Cabin Extra seat on this aircraft type, see this thread:
Best 77W / 777-300ER Economy Class / Main Cabin Extra / MCE seat (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Seating confirmed: 3-4-3 on the 777 / 77W ... boooooooo

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tied
The cynic in me says that 3-4-3 exists to primarily to incentivise people to buy MCE.

(Why make your product worse to get people to pay up!?)
The market keeps wanting the lowest price; price is being rated much higher than quality.

AA will be offering an improved product with better seating for those prepared to pay a bit extra for extra comfort. The swathes of people who choose the cheapest may have a better chance of finding AA to be so; those that do care more about comfort can pay a bit extra and get it

Given that it isn't going to be a new section for status holders but for those prepared to pay, seems a logical move for a company that needs to turn around and start making money
Old May 13, 2012, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca
ok. Thanks.
I've been reading the reviews of 777 economy on emirates (EK) and austrian (OS) in flyertalk and elsewhere.
Most folks that have actually flown on the 3-4-3 configuration say it is really bad.

Oh wait...let's see what AA has in store :S
What about what I have posted is so difficult for you to understand? I have said several times now that I will not get upset over this change until I sample the product for myself. As I said before, I was expecting the worst on a recent LH flight in Y and found the seat more comfortable than the AA equiv, which is supposedly wider. Thus unlike you, I am going to reserve judgment instead of whining like a child for the next several months. It's a difficult concept for the malcontents and serial complainers to grasp, I know, but that's the way I've decided to handle it. But go on complaining, it no doubt will aid you in getting 2-5-2 back in Y.

Last edited by JNB280; May 13, 2012 at 5:22 pm
Old May 13, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I have flown on Emirates 3-4-3 from SFO -> DXB, which is a 15 hour flight. I then followed that up by flying DXB -> ICN in Emirates 3-4-3 which is a 10+ hour flight. Then I did the same in reverse. I did this with my 2 young kids and wife. I typically fly on Emirates J or F, so am a tough customer to please.

End result? I survived and it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. I wouldn't want to do it again, but I am 6' 3 and not light. My kids loved it, my wife was perfectly fine.

At the back of the plane are a few 2-4-2 seats which I tried out and liked a bit better.
Old May 13, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by JNB280
...Thus unlike you, I am going to reserve judgment instead of whining like a child for the next several months. It's a difficult concept for the malcontents and serial complainers to grasp...
WOW!!!
Old May 13, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Given that it isn't going to be a new section for status holders but for those prepared to pay, seems a logical move for a company that needs to turn around and start making money
Seats in MCE will be free for EXPLAT and PLAT, while Gold will have the free benefit through the end of 2013.
Old May 13, 2012, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Seats in MCE will be free for EXPLAT and PLAT, while Gold will have the free benefit through the end of 2013.
Seats in MCE will be free for

AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum®, oneworld® Emerald, oneworld® Sapphire and customers who have purchased a full-fare economy class ticket

AA Gold / OW Ruby will get access until end dec 2013

That suggests to me that only Y and B fares will get complimentary access
Old May 13, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.0MM

AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum®, oneworld® Emerald, oneworld® Sapphire and customers who have purchased a full-fare economy class ticket

So if an EXP not in Y or B doesn't pay extra for MCE is that likely to place them in a lower upgrade priority for a Business seat than an EXP who is in MCE?
Old May 13, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador

It doesn't read like that to me at all and the Q and A on aa.com confirms that EXP/PLT and other OW equivalents get free access regardless of fare:

Q: Who is eligible for complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

A: All customers have access to Main Cabin Extra. Premium customers (AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, oneworld® Emerald, AAdvantage Platinum®, oneworld® Sapphire and full-fare Economy Class customers) have advance complimentary access.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabinExtra.jsp
Old May 13, 2012, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Science Goy
No need to draw a caricature. Nobody's demanding $200 fares+24" width; in fact I'd happily pay a 10% premium for 9-across instead of 10-across, but since the vast majority of customers don't share my opinion the market won't provide what I want.
Remember the MRTC disaster??? Passengers wouldn't pay a very small premium to have decent legroom. They certainly wouldn't pay anything approaching 10%.
Old May 13, 2012, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by britenbsas
It doesn't read like that to me at all and the Q and A on aa.com confirms that EXP/PLT and other OW equivalents get free access regardless of fare:

Q: Who is eligible for complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

A: All customers have access to Main Cabin Extra. Premium customers (AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, oneworld® Emerald, AAdvantage Platinum®, oneworld® Sapphire and full-fare Economy Class customers) have advance complimentary access.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabinExtra.jsp
I misread it. I thought it said that OW Emerald and Sapphire with a full fare ticket got access; just reread it and seen my mistake
Old May 13, 2012, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
Remember the MRTC disaster??? Passengers wouldn't pay a very small premium to have decent legroom. They certainly wouldn't pay anything approaching 10%.
Indeed. People may say that they will pay more, but the experiment of AA's ( and previously TWA's comfort class ) seem to show that the reality is that most will take the lowest price and few will pay the extra
Old May 13, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Indeed. People may say that they will pay more, but the experiment of AA's ( and previously TWA's comfort class ) seem to show that the reality is that most will take the lowest price and few will pay the extra
So the whole Premium Economy experiment by BA, Virgin, Qantas, JAL, ANA, SAS, Air New Zealand, Air France, Cathay, EVA Air and probably others has been such an unmitigated disaster they're all busy ripping it out? The right product, marketed properly, works and it's alleged to be a profitable part of those carriers because passengers DO want differentiated products, just as they do when buying Hotels or other travel products & services.
Old May 13, 2012, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by bernardd
So the whole Premium Economy experiment by BA, Virgin, Qantas, JAL, ANA, SAS, Air New Zealand, Air France, Cathay, EVA Air and probably others has been such an unmitigated disaster they're all busy ripping it out? The right product, marketed properly, works and it's alleged to be a profitable part of those carriers because passengers DO want differentiated products, just as they do when buying Hotels or other travel products & services.
Some will pay that much extra, just not everyone in Y. Better to have a really dumpy cheaper Y- for the lowest cost bookers and sell MCE/Y+ to those who will pay for it (put me in the category of people who would pay 10-20% extra on these 777 flights for a MCE).
Old May 13, 2012, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by bernardd
No they haven't. What airlines like BA and Qantas have done is provide a separate cabin with a few rows of Premium Economy while leaving the rear the same as before. I believe that having a small premium economy cabin has been very successful

This is a lot different to what AA and TWA tried where they redid the whole economy cabin with extra legroom relying on being able to charge more toall and hoping that customers will come . Some people will pay more ( e.g. some of us buy business and 1st class tickets ) but generally, the AA/TWA experiment was, I believe, a failure which is why AA reverted back to normal economy.

What they seem to be doing this time is to redo a small part of the cabin with better pitch; it is a shame , I think, that they haven't gone with putting in a proper premium economy cabin; with a smaller section available for those prepared to pay a bit extra for better comfoirt and a regular cabin for those thatr won't, maybe this time it will work
Old May 13, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 60K "old miles"
The airlines will continue to manage in a way that they feel makes money. We react to that in the way we spend money. React with the choices you have. That is life.

But this is why I like the Mad Dogs and the 767....you have a chance for a two seat in coach. Absent a ridiculous pitch. for someone who is not particularly tall ( like me ), the greatest comfort comes from not sitting between two people or not sitting next to some poor guy who is sitting between two people.

For me this easily tops meals, IFE, and/or a reasonable shabbiness.

Bring back the Caravelle my all time favorite airliner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.