Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

For inquiries into the best economy or Main Cabin Extra seat on this aircraft type, see this thread:
Best 77W / 777-300ER Economy Class / Main Cabin Extra / MCE seat (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Seating confirmed: 3-4-3 on the 777 / 77W ... boooooooo

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2012, 10:37 pm

Yuck. I am starting to adapt to the 9 across reality of the 787, but this is still just wrong on the 777. At least airlines who initially went to 10 across had the decency to compensate with a better pitch, but that aint happening anymore.
Old May 11, 2012, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Add me to the list of people who will never fly a 3-4-3 configuration on a 777. But can someone tell me where the "OFFICIAL" information is that says the 777s will in fact be 3-4-3? Yes, I know there was another thread a long time ago that repeatedly said the same thing - but the only actual reference was pictures on the AA web site that looked to me like they could have been 2-5-2.
Old May 11, 2012, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA, HH
Originally Posted by hessinger
Interesting revelation, do we know the pitch and width of the seats?
I think the more interesting part of this is that AA has not announced this
3-4-3 seating. This is all speculation.
Old May 12, 2012, 12:04 am

Whoever does their social media definitely tried to 'confirm' it, to the best of their abilities today.

"American Airlines Hi Orna, the new 777-300ER deliveries will have a 3-4-3 Main Cabin configuration and to ensure consistency across the fleet, we intend to change the seat configuration on the 777-200ER to match."

Thank God for consistency!

There is no question, the seat counts they have been throwing up there for the 77W and now 772 clearly = 3-4-3. However, they've been using a qualifier "up to X seats", possibly indicating this was still not finalized.

The more I think about this, the more it ticks me off. Not to get all misty eyed patriotic now, but come on US carriers, this is AMERICA. We are not Emirates, we are not Air New Zealand. We are not all 5'8 and 140. We are fat asses. And we know very well that our US carriers cannot compete favorably with foreign airlines in terms of soft product, so for the love of God and all things righteous, give us our butt room.

Last edited by jpetekYXMD80; May 12, 2012 at 12:09 am
Old May 12, 2012, 12:44 am

I've investigated and number crunched a little to put together this comparison of these new economy configurationa.

9-abreast 787
-Pretty much exactly like a 737. 17" seats, adequate aisle
-compares to the A330/340 like a 737 compares to an A320. Noticeable for some, usually not a deal breaker.
-Matches lateral width almost exactly with popular predecessor 747, slightly less than DC-10 series
Overall: not great, but not unprecedented

10 abreast 777
-a fairly unprecedented ... cruncher
-16.5-17" seats
-Aisles 3-4" narrower than usual
-in terms of avg lateral width per seat, just about exactly the equal of the 9-abreast Air Transat A310. Yeah.
-While the seat may be as wide as a 787 or 747, IMO it's almost impossible to get any kind of general feeling of comfort or spaciousness in that kind of environment.

On the plus side:
AA plans to hire Richard Simmons for revamped safety video, and you'll be required to watch 4-6 weeks prior to the flight

Last edited by jpetekYXMD80; May 12, 2012 at 12:49 am
Old May 12, 2012, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
Whoever does their social media definitely tried to 'confirm' it, to the best of their abilities today.

"American Airlines Hi Orna, the new 777-300ER deliveries will have a 3-4-3 Main Cabin configuration and to ensure consistency across the fleet, we intend to change the seat configuration on the 777-200ER to match."
What social media said this and who is this "whoever"? Is it someone from AA? Where is this on the web? If it's on the FB page I can't see it.

I have seen a bazillion references to 3-4-3 but they have all been either a) speculative, b) referencing previous speculations, or c) based on analysis of the photo AA put on their website - which I actually think shows 2-5-2. If this social media reference is really more definitive I'd like to see it.
Old May 12, 2012, 1:58 am

It is on the Facebook page, a response from "American Airlines", the administrator of the page, i.e. whoever AMR employees to handle their social media. I'm not making this up. It's already been divulged internally for awhile, but this was the first 'public confirmation' I've heard.

Either way, it was very poorly kept secret. Just look at the seat counts they're estimating.
Old May 12, 2012, 3:50 am

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
What's coach?
Old May 12, 2012, 5:14 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Coach is where many of our employers consign us on transatlantic, and I personally use miles for travel not upgrades.

3-4-3 is awful and I'll never fly in it. MCE is fine, but I have doubts about the availability of those seats.
Old May 12, 2012, 6:11 am

With the paltry number of MCE seats proposed per plane, MCE is just a bone to throw to the masses to sound as if something progressive is being done--more symbolic than practical in a 3-4-3 world.
Old May 12, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Emirates has their 77L and 77W 3-4-3 and everyone keeps carrying on about how great an airline they are so maybe it won't be all that bad.

AA is one of the only carriers that still operates a 2-5-2 configuration, most 9 abreast 777 operates go for 3-3-3 which is better than 2-5-2. It has the same same number of middle seats but you don't have anyone stuck in the middle of 5.
Old May 12, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
AA is one of the only carriers that still operates a 2-5-2 configuration, most 9 abreast 777 operates go for 3-3-3 which is better than 2-5-2. It has the same same number of middle seats but you don't have anyone stuck in the middle of 5.
3-3-3 is not universally better than 2-5-2. With 3-3-3, there are two seats per row where you have to pass two other PAX to get out, but with 2-5-2 there is only one, and that one has a choice of which two PAX to pass.
Old May 12, 2012, 7:03 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Count me in on one who likes the 2-5-2. While the middle of 5 on a full flight is ugly, the upsides for 5 across on low load is a great bed. And the exit row 2 (31AB or HJ) for the Mrs & me is a fine ride (not worth the upgrade for a daytime TATL in my book).

3-4-3 looks pretty ugly to me and one I would avoid.
Old May 12, 2012, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
It is on the Facebook page, a response from "American Airlines", the administrator of the page, i.e. whoever AMR employees to handle their social media. I'm not making this up. It's already been divulged internally for awhile, but this was the first 'public confirmation' I've heard.

Either way, it was very poorly kept secret. Just look at the seat counts they're estimating.
OK, I looked again on FB and found the post. Up until now I could be in denial, but no longer. Very sad that they would do this. It reminds me of a box of crackers that got smaller and is being marketed as "new and improved."
Old May 12, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
I'm just going to say- it'll be very unappealing for TPAC routes in particular. And it's not going to be competitive with UA on either ex-PVG route unless they drop the fares (and for some reason I don't think they're going to).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.