Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travel22
What are the significant differences between this card and the other ongoing Citi AA card with the 50,000 mile offer? Priority boarding? Just trying to determine which is the better Citi offer.
There may be no difference. The other offer may simply be one that was written up before these changes (which are only a couple weeks old). In case you haven't read enough of this thread to know, lots of cards that were obtained in offers that have already gone away are getting these benefits.

Differences in offers do not necessarily relate to differences in cards. Citi contantly puts out many simultaneous different signup offers for the very same cards. In Citi's eyes, these different signup offers are for different audiences (perhaps for ads in different publications or on different websites?), but of course here at FT we tend to find most of them and put them all together for you. (Hint: Most of them are in form of AWAYn or FLYn or TRAVELn or such, followed by citicards.com, where "n" is a single digit. Just trying all those 30ish or 40ish combinations can find you oodles of slightly differnt offers for the same few cards over and over and over again.)
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Travel22
What are the significant differences between this card and the other ongoing Citi AA card with the 50,000 mile offer? Priority boarding? Just trying to determine which is the better Citi offer.
The terms of the 50K offer that expired in January, were modified 2+ months after the cards were issued to include the additional perks. The changes included a $10 increase in fees due on the first anniversary. Also, I just received these perks via email on my 1 or 2 year old signature, which I'm going to cancel as soon as I see the $95 fee on my statement.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
DH got an invitation to sign up for 45k bonus miles. Has anyone seen a better offer around? Wondering if we should hold out for 50k?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aznaphrodite
DH got an invitation to sign up for 45k bonus miles. Has anyone seen a better offer around? Wondering if we should hold out for 50k?
No need to "hold out"; they're they're for the (FlyerTalk-reading!) public at large:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ey-appear.html

However, the spend requirement on a 50k offer might be much more than for the particular 45k offer he got. (You didn't specify the other aspects of the offer, so I can't tell whether it's just 45k or also lounge passes or also an AA spend credit, and I also can't tell what the spend requirement -- in spend amount and time to do it in -- is.)

Besides, if he hasn't applied for any Citi AA card for at least 20 months, he may be able to apply for two at a time using the "two-browser trick" (read up in the linked thread; read the first few posts and then start backwards from the end after that). Two 40k offers with low spend might therefore get more miles for a more doable spend than two 50k offers with much higher spend. So you have to look at the miles and the spend together, and also figure out if you can afford to try for 2 at a time or not. (And that's 2 personal cards; that's not counting whether you can later try for a 3rd business card!)
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: Yes.
Originally Posted by kingarthur
I modified a reward ticket which was re-ticketed under a new PNR on April 2. It would be nice to get the 10% miles back, but I doubt it will happen since the miles were debited previously. Unfortunately I can't risk canceling since it's a MileSAAver.
Might be a stretch, but the email I got stated the 4 new benefits where each one had its own footnote. The first two stated "This benefit is valid for travel booked and ticketed on or after April 2, 2012. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, this benefit will be cancelled. Eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers " BUT, the 10% back benefit and the $30K spend had no date restrictions. I booked 130K tix before April 2 and would love to get 10K back!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:26 am

Actual Experience with new benefit?

Rather than "customer service" answers, could someone with actual experience using the new card benefits post their experience?

Was the free bag check noted in the PNR that a reservation agent could see?

Did the counter agent know your bag was to be checked free?

Did showing the card to counter agent get the bag checked free? (this was my CO experience)

What was printed on boarding pass to get "early" boarding?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by index411
Are these benefits tied to our AA numbers somehow? What if I don't use my Citi to buy the ticket, or use award miles? Can I still get priority boarding and a free checked bags?
American Airlines knows if you hold a credit card with these benefits because your credit card and AAdvantage account are linked (how else would you get the miles for your $pend?). It's amazing what technology can do these days!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by econjon
Might be a stretch, but the email I got stated the 4 new benefits where each one had its own footnote. The first two stated "This benefit is valid for travel booked and ticketed on or after April 2, 2012. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, this benefit will be cancelled. Eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers " BUT, the 10% back benefit and the $30K spend had no date restrictions. I booked 130K tix before April 2 and would love to get 10K back!
I called yesterday, to Citi CS, on the question of AAward travel booked this year before the enhancement. I was told it definitely was for the entire calendar year even though the benefit was only added recently. I had a Feb redemption. I was told eventually I would get the miles but, they were unsure if the 6-8 week window would be from my redemption date or from the date the benefit was added in my case 3/31, I have an AA AMX. The CS Agent said she had been told nobody has received the 10% back. The window for the miles to drop has not elapsed yet because the benefit has not been around long enough. However, the miles eventually will drop.

Has anyone had experience to the contrary?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:48 pm

We flew our first international trip since obtaining this credit card, and upon arriving in Tokyo and trying to use the card for JR train tickets, our card was denied. It was continued to be denied at JR and at locations where we tried to charge more than $100 at a pop during our two weeks in Japan. We called upon return to the U.S. and were told that Citibank was trying to protect us from those inappropriately using our card. What a difference between the fine services offered by American Express and AA's Citibank card. This was the second problem we have had with this card since obtaining it in December and find it useless if we cannot use it to obtain the benefits that one is supposed to obtain.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
I called yesterday, to Citi CS, on the question of AAward travel booked this year before the enhancement. I was told it definitely was for the entire calendar year even though the benefit was only added recently. I had a Feb redemption. I was told eventually I would get the miles but, they were unsure if the 6-8 week window would be from my redemption date or from the date the benefit was added in my case 3/31, I have an AA AMX. The CS Agent said she had been told nobody has received the 10% back. The window for the miles to drop has not elapsed yet because the benefit has not been around long enough. However, the miles eventually will drop.

Let me know how this turns out. I had about 300k redeemed in Feb.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
We called upon return to the U.S. and were told that Citibank was trying to protect us from those inappropriately using our card. What a difference between the fine services offered by American Express and AA's Citibank card.
This isn't a problem if you just tell them you'll be traveling.

Chase and Capital One and probably others have the same policy. In fact I've heard of Chase denying all charges. FYI, you could have called Citi from Japan since they will accept a collect call. This should be printed on the back of your card.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
It was continued to be denied at JR and at locations where we tried to charge more than $100 at a pop during our two weeks in Japan.
It could also be due to the fact that more and more places in Japan, as with the rest of the world EXCEPT the US, are phasing out the mag-stripe and moving to EMV chip cards. Mag-stripes are ancient 1950s technology by today's standards which is becoming less useful around the world, especially considering that the skimming devices to steal your credit card info can be bought by anyone for less than $100 worth of parts on eBay.

Next time, prepare yourself by getting a card that has the EMV chip feature built in: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...signature.html

I suggest the Andrews FCU Globetrek Rewards Chip-and-PIN card. $0 annual fee, 1% forex rate, true Chip-and-PIN, and earns rewards.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x

The citi rep I spoke to today didn't know anything about this and told me to call aadvantage. The aadvantage people told me my January award travel would not be given back. I probably will try giving another call back. It would be nice if they were all on the same page. I read the fine print and I believe the above interpretation is correct.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
It would be nice if they were all on the same page.\
hasn't happened yet with Citi and AA.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:30 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Had similar problems with charges refused outside the US from both Amex SPG and Citi Gold AA visa despite my attempts to advise Citi before I left (less so last trip with Citi MC World Elite). I travel outside the US fairly regularly and it seems the new fraud systems mean I have to spend a lot more time convincing the credit card people that it's really me. I will note with Citi that after some fairly egregious issues (refuse charges, call, refuse charges again) they will compensate with miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.