Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2012, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The benefits apply to the AA account that the Citi AA card is linked to. (It has nothing to do with whether the card was used to buy the flight or not, though there seems to have been plenty of confusion about that early on.)

So the questions are:

1. Which AA account (yours or your wife's) is this AA card linked to? (Ie, which AA account do the miles earned on this card post to?) You cannot link one card to two AA accounts.

2. Which AA account is your wife flying under, yours or hers? If it's a paid flight, I presume it has to be hers. If it's an award flight, it may depend on whose miles were used?
1) The AA card is linked to my AA mileage account.
2) Award travel, and I utilized my miles.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Mileage Plus, Skymiles
Do these benefits work when booking on AA for an Alaska Air flight? (Baggage/Priority Access)
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kod92
Do these benefits work when booking on AA for an Alaska Air flight? (Baggage/Priority Access)
I'm pretty sure they're applicable to AA-operated flights only - not codeshares or partners. Would double-check the fine print though.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: United, NW, Delta, AMERICAN
Originally Posted by danielonn
...So does this mean that if my BP says Priority Access I can go to the Priority Access Ticket counter for checkin as well? Thanks
I did; no problems over several checkins.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by phoenixstar
1) The AA card is linked to my AA mileage account.
2) Award travel, and I utilized my miles.
For those curious, this situation resulted in a waiver of baggage fees. In other words, used my miles to book a flight for my wife. My wife has one of the Citibank AA cards linked to my account (basically, is a 2nd authorized user on my account). Upon showing the card with her name on it, the 1st baggage fee was waived in each direction. Just got home yesterday. So another data point for those interested...
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by kod92
I was told by an Alaska Airlines check-in representative that the free checked bag from the Citi card is not honored by them, even if it is an AA flight number. However, they do honor Elite status from AA with very similar benefits to those that AA offers its Elite Members.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by barelyelite
As an EXP, the only useful benefit here is the 10% mileage rebate, though I wish it were uncapped.

The 2 points per dollar on AA purchases is a long time coming but hardly useful to me so long as there are 10% off gift cards at Costco.

Hard to imagine a $30k+ spender getting excited about what amounts to a 0.33% rebate at best.

What would have really been nice is the ability to upgrade award tickets, a la the United Explorer card. Maybe next time. @:-)

Having said that, the mileage rebate is enough to justify the annual fee whereas I was otherwise planning to cancel it. Still no reason to actually put any spending on it, though.

+1 on the Award Upgrade Option like the United Explorer card. That is one major reason I've been flying quite a bit more on United lately and using their Explorer card on awards..with the hopes of decent chance of upgrades on Award flights---no such luck with AA.

So Citi gets no love from me until something like that comes along....until then SPG transfers to AA if/when needed.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
clarification

I called AA and was told that the card did not need to be used to pay taxes in order to get 10% rebate. Called the credit card and the first rep said you did - it seemed logical to her. I asked for a supervisor and he concurred with the AA person. So this already happened but want to know for the future. I used my miles to get an award ticket for my daughter. The second leg was anytime miles. I have "the" right credit card, and so does she. She also has a secondary card on my account - the one connected to my FF AA acct. I believe that I will get the 10% rebate even though I didn't use the card to get the ticket. Would my daughter have been able to check a bag for free? The second boarding pass said priority access but I thought it was because of the anytime award ticket. If she had wanted to check a bag, which credit card would she have needed to show - since the incoming flight did not say priority (I think). Would she need to carry HER card where she is primary, and the card on my account where she is secondary to guarantee free checked baggage?
I'd like to hear from people with similar situations where this has worked.
Thanks
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Reading up thread I see a mixed bag of answers, and to avoid the runaround, who is responsible for giving 10% redemption miles rebate, CITI or AA. I want to avoid getting the runaround, so I want to call the right person.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
AA is responsible. Your Citicard is shown in your AAdvantage profile and as such AA will give you the credit.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8 months into owning the cards with new bennie, we finally booked an AA award. Does anyone know how long it takes to see the 10% rebate posted to the AA account of which the cards are linked to?

I also wonder when the statement credit would post after qualifying AA purchase (1st in this case). My guess is on the statement close of which cycle the charge from AA is posted.

Anyone has experiences to chime in?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Perhaps this has been addressed, but i admittedly did not read the entire thread..

I have the AAdvantage card, signed up under the terms, but i am not seeing Priority boarding on my BP's. Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: I see others have had issues as well... One question though... Does this give priority access or just a lower group number?

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; Sep 30, 2012 at 12:30 pm
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Is there priority access for authorized user of my platinum aa card?

Both my wife and I had platinum AA card and I canceled hers by mistake. Now, if I add her as my authorized user will she still get priority access and free bag if flying on her own? Sorry if this was discussed. Couldn't find anything thru search.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:25 pm

Unlikely. As far as I know the benefits are tied to the AAdvantage number linked to the credit card (e.g. the account to which miles are deposited), which is your account even for authorized user cards.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:55 pm

rearview is correct, except that it is not unlikely, but instead not possible. The card is tied to the AAdvantage number of the primary holder, and your wife will not get any benefits as an additional user.

This is the thread on the benefits of the Citi AA Platinum Select Visa (the card I assume you are referring to).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-benefits.html
Search terms: "platinum visa" gets you that thread as the first hit.

You can then search "authorized user" within that thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.