Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Bronze is no annual fee but only earns 1 mile per $2 of charges.

(But it's a way to preserve open credit line and extend mileage expiration.)
Originally Posted by badgerW
Interesting, thanks for the info. I've never seen those marketed, and I don't think they're anywhere on Citi's site -- at least, they weren't the last time I looked.
Bronze cards are not generally marketed to new customers. Anyone who has a pulse can easily apply for a regulard Citi AA card that has the annual fee waived for the first year, thus no reason to apply outright for a Bronze card.

Bronze cards are typically marketed primarily to people who want to cancel an annual-fee card after a year because of the annual fee (and can't be talked into one of the plenty retention bonuses -- including often something like a credit equal to the annual fee for a small number of purchases with no minimum threshold! -- or else for whatever reason the system doesn't offer that person retention bonuses), and then are offered the Bronze card as a no-annual-fee-ever alternative.

Originally Posted by barelyelite
Having said that, the mileage rebate is enough to justify the annual fee whereas I was otherwise planning to cancel it. Still no reason to actually put any spending on it, though.
You may still want to "try to" cancel it (hesitantly, by phone, so they can "talk you out of it"). That's how you get retention offers (like the one I just described that my give you a credit equal to the annual fee for not that much work):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...all-cards.html

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 4, 2012 at 4:33 pm Reason: added link to Credit Cards forum thread
Old Apr 4, 2012, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Bronze cards are not generally marketed to new customers. Anyone who has a pulse can easily apply for a regulard Citi AA card that has the annual fee waived for the first year, thus no reason to apply outright for a Bronze card.

Bronze cards are typically marketed primarily to people who want to cancel an annual-fee card after a year because of the annual fee (and can't be talked into one of the plenty retention bonuses -- including often something like a credit equal to the annual fee for a small number of purchases with no minimum threshold! -- or else for whatever reason the system doesn't offer that person retention bonuses), and then are offered the Bronze card as a no-annual-fee-ever alternative.
Or for people already gotten a retention offer less than 6 months ago... so the system could not spit out another offer - but the retention rep could offer the Bronze card and he would over-ride the annual fee - kind of a Win Win - the retention rep got one positive stat (retained one account) with an override on the annual fee that is within his power, the cardholder got to keep the prior $85 credit that was already cashed out, and keep the card as no fee version which would not affect future application of new cards. I am in this scenario now. Tomorrow I will see if the annual fee posted yesterday would be reversed today as described by the retention rep who swore that he had put in a reminder in his system that he would need to reverse mine today. He claimed he had just done that on another customer a day before I called to cancel and was routed to him. As an experiment, I went ahead with his proposal instead of canceling the Visa. On, one more tidbit, the rep said the new law forbids immediate conversion, so the conversion would take effect in 45 days after the consent.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: Yes.
Has this been answered?

Originally Posted by rdchen
Regarding the free checked bag, how about partner award tickets on AA metal, e.g. AA flight using BA avios redemption? Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econjon
Has this been answered?
Originally Posted by rdchen
Regarding the free checked bag, how about partner award tickets on AA metal, e.g. AA flight using BA avios redemption? Thanks.
It's not answerable as a simple yes or no, because it depends on exactly what you do.

For example, I would guess that if you redeem BA Avios points on an AA flight and do nothing more, the answer is no.

But the answer might different if you redeem BA Avios points on an AA flight, and then call in to have the frequent flyer number on the ticket changed from your BA number to your AA number. At that point, even though it was booked with BA Avois points, it now has you identified as an AA frequent flyer. (People with AA status often do this to get AA status benefits while flying an AA flight paid for with BA Avios points.)

Remember, it's already been explained that these benefits are linked to your AA account. So it matters a whole bunch whether your AA account is linked to the reservation or not. But there are ways to change what account is linked to a reservation at different points along the process (from booking to actually being on the plane, at several steps along the way). Hence it's more complicated, as in does the reservation have to always have had your AA account linked to it to get, say, a checked bag benefit, or only at the moment when you would (otherwise) need to pay the checked bag fee?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: Yes.
I changed the time on the first leg of award ticket and the ticketing date updated. Not sure if this is always the case, but AA allows free date/time changes.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Be very careful! Cancelling an award reservation does not necessarily (immediately or otherwise) put the award availability back into inventory. So I would not necessarily recommend doing this unless you can confirm that you can book another 4 tickets on the same routes before you cancel, since there's no guarantee that if you cancel you'll be able to rebook.

It's usually hard enough getting 4 award tickest once, counting on getting them a second time sounds dangerous to me.

Is all that risk really worth a measly 10k miles? (Remember, the so-called 10% rebate is capped at 10k a year, ie, redeeming anything over 100k earns the same 10k rebate, rather than 10%.)

(Unless each of the four 70k bookings came from a separate account, you can't possibly earn a 28k rebate on a 280k booking, because of that cap, even if you were magically able to cancel and rebook successfully.)

IMHO there are so many easier ways to earn 10k bonus miles, and 10k bonus miles a year does not get you all that far, I don't see it worth jumping through hoops for this. If you have 280k miles to redeem, what comparatively is another 10k here or there? If you don't have many miles to redeem in the first place, 10k may be very signficant to you, but you won't earn it! Catch 22 became catch 10%...
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by martinp13
I have a Gold Level card... it's only a $50/year fee. But it won't get any of these benefits of the "new" $95/yr cards.
I've got a "Citi® Gold / AAdvantage® Visa®", the card itself says VISA SIGNATURE, last annual fee was $85. I don't think it's offered anymore, mine goes back to 1995. I haven't yet called to see if this qualifies or not, maybe the AA Rep here will clarify.

I also have a Citi AA Amex, but I plan to cancel that so I don't pay two fees. And I'd rather not cancel the Visa, since it's one of my oldest cards, canceling could hurt the credit score.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
The new benefit on this card is priority boarding, which is different from PriorityAAccess. The priority boarding benefit will enable cardholders to board after first/business class passengers and elite status customers, but before the general boarding groups.
Thank you for the clarification. Just curious: do priority boarding passengers use the red (PriorityAAccess) or the blue (general boarding) lane?

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
We are happy to share that our Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® cardholders will enjoy the same 25% savings on in-flight purchases as of April 2, 2012; however other new benefits are not available on the Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® card. The Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® card carries many benefits such as the Admirals Club membership, the ability to earn Elite Qualifying Miles each calendar year, PriorityAAccess, and no foreign transaction fees that are not available on any other Citi® / AAdvantage® card today. Benefits were added to these specific cards as a result of extensive research and customer feedback and each of the Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cards is designed for the unique needs of different types of travelers.
Interesting that the Executive card doesn't earn the 10% mileage rebate.

I was considering the Executive card, since I pay for an Admiral's Club renewal every year, but the additional cost above the AC cost isn't worth it; I do a lot of international travel for both business and pleasure, so not having foreign transaction fees is a great benefit, but I currently use my BA Chase card for that. I'd rather earn AA miles, since it's easier to redeem AA miles than BA, so if this benefit was offered on, e.g., a Visa SIgnature AA card, I'd use it for all my overseas spending.

Originally Posted by barelyelite
As an EXP, the only useful benefit here is the 10% mileage rebate, though I wish it were uncapped.

The 2 points per dollar on AA purchases is a long time coming but hardly useful to me so long as there are 10% off gift cards at Costco.

Hard to imagine a $30k+ spender getting excited about what amounts to a 0.33% rebate at best.

What would have really been nice is the ability to upgrade award tickets, a la the United Explorer card. Maybe next time. @:-)

Having said that, the mileage rebate is enough to justify the annual fee whereas I was otherwise planning to cancel it. Still no reason to actually put any spending on it, though.
The 2 miles per dollar is nice, although it's just for the first year, isn't it? I agree the $100 coupon after spending $30k isn't worth it; I try to hit that kind of spending on the HHonors card to guarantee Diamond status, which is far more valuable than $100. A secondary goal is to hit that kind of spend on the Starwood card, to get Gold status there.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I'm debating between this card or SPG Amex. I'm Gold status but my husband is not AA elite so he doesn't already have the free checked bag and priority boarding benefits when he travels alone. However, the annual fee is higher on this card and SPG Amex gives you 1.25 miles per dollar if you bulk convert.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Plat; Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, BestW Plat
Originally Posted by aznaphrodite
I'm debating between this card or SPG Amex. I'm Gold status but my husband is not AA elite so he doesn't already have the free checked bag and priority boarding benefits when he travels alone. However, the annual fee is higher on this card and SPG Amex gives you 1.25 miles per dollar if you bulk convert.

Thoughts?
The free checked bag will make the card pay for itself if your husband travels alone more than 4 times a year. (But the card has to be in his name and associated with his AAdvantage number, AFAIK.) If you redeem miles at all, the 10% rebate on award redemptions is well worth the annual fee too IMO. I have the SPG Amex and I think I will be keeping an AA card around too.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism
The 2 miles per dollar is nice, although it's just for the first year, isn't it? I agree the $100 coupon after spending $30k isn't worth it; I try to hit that kind of spending on the HHonors card to guarantee Diamond status, which is far more valuable than $100. A secondary goal is to hit that kind of spend on the Starwood card, to get Gold status there.
HHonor Diamond is far more valuable than SPG Gold which does not offer much based on personal experience, therefore the 1st 30K should go there.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Happy
Originally Posted by anabolism
HHonor Diamond is far more valuable than SPG Gold which does not offer much based on personal experience, therefore the 1st 30K should go there.
I agree (which is why I said the SPG spend is a secondary goal).
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
Could you clarify? What is the conversion rate for HHonor points to AA miles? I rarely stay at SPG hotels. The only reason I'm thinking about SPG Amex is to convert to AA miles. Ultimately, I want the most AA miles from my credit card. Hotel points aren't as appealing to me since I don't like having to stick to a certain chain.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat; Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, BestW Plat
Originally Posted by aznaphrodite
Could you clarify? What is the conversion rate for HHonor points to AA miles? I rarely stay at SPG hotels. The only reason I'm thinking about SPG Amex is to convert to AA miles. Ultimately, I want the most AA miles from my credit card. Hotel points aren't as appealing to me since I don't like having to stick to a certain chain.
HH is not worth it to convert the points to AA. The actual conversion ratio is 20:3, or 0.15 AA miles per HH point. Although you do get a minimum of 3 HH points per dollar with HH cards vs. the 1 SPG point per dollar with the SPG Amex -- but it still doesn't make up for the difference.

But HH Diamond status (top tier) is worth more than SPG Gold status (middle tier). Benefits are better.... free breakfast, for one. This can be a $30-$40 value per night in some hotels. But the basic HHonors Amex is a great card to have: no annual fee, and automatic Silver status (which doesn't do much, but it's better than nothing). I have one and only use it for HH stays.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:49 pm

I used to be a heavy churner from 2007-2009. Whenever I apply for a card I always get the dreadful "First time cardholder only" letter. Do you think my luck will be better with this card since it seems like a different one?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:13 am

Programs: A few
folks this is a thread about the citi card benefits on aa. has as much to do with spg and hilton benefits as it does with the price of tea in china.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.