FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:22 pm
econjon

Programs: Yes.
I changed the time on the first leg of award ticket and the ticketing date updated. Not sure if this is always the case, but AA allows free date/time changes.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Be very careful! Cancelling an award reservation does not necessarily (immediately or otherwise) put the award availability back into inventory. So I would not necessarily recommend doing this unless you can confirm that you can book another 4 tickets on the same routes before you cancel, since there's no guarantee that if you cancel you'll be able to rebook.

It's usually hard enough getting 4 award tickest once, counting on getting them a second time sounds dangerous to me.

Is all that risk really worth a measly 10k miles? (Remember, the so-called 10% rebate is capped at 10k a year, ie, redeeming anything over 100k earns the same 10k rebate, rather than 10%.)

(Unless each of the four 70k bookings came from a separate account, you can't possibly earn a 28k rebate on a 280k booking, because of that cap, even if you were magically able to cancel and rebook successfully.)

IMHO there are so many easier ways to earn 10k bonus miles, and 10k bonus miles a year does not get you all that far, I don't see it worth jumping through hoops for this. If you have 280k miles to redeem, what comparatively is another 10k here or there? If you don't have many miles to redeem in the first place, 10k may be very signficant to you, but you won't earn it! Catch 22 became catch 10%...