Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2019, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
AA is in full retreat mode in New York. I can't imagine why they'd want to compete with DL on a route that likely doesn't have that much in the way of traffic.
Which routes are being dropped out of LaGuardia to say that it is in full retreat mode in New York? It competes with DL on smaller markets out of LGA. It won't compete on LGA-Houston/Denver which are long and have a lot of competition but are in a higher traffic category, but is willing to compete with Delta on routes to mid-size markets when there is less competition.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beyondhere
Which routes are being dropped out of LaGuardia to say that it is in full retreat mode in New York? It competes with DL on smaller markets out of LGA. It won't compete on LGA-Houston/Denver which are long and have a lot of competition but are in a higher traffic category, but is willing to compete with Delta on routes to mid-size markets when there is less competition.
I said New York because of what they've done with JFK. Maybe they aren't dropping routes out of LGA but again I can't see them deciding LGA-MKE has enough traffic that two airlines need to fly it.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
A little more about the upcoming JFK-GEO route: Newsroom - Getting to know Guyana: a pre-flight celebration at JFK - American Airlines Group, Inc.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I recently read that OKC is offering concessions and marketing funds to DL, AA, and WN to start a LGA flight. It stated that the program helped land the PHL and MIA flights on AA.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:44 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
I recently read that OKC is offering concessions and marketing funds to DL, AA, and WN to start a LGA flight. It stated that the program helped land the PHL and MIA flights on AA.
Well based on my OKC-PHL flight last Monday morning not sure it will be a keeper of AA.

Left with a half full F cabin and a quarter full coach cabin on the 175.

(I understand one flight isn't enough of a sample size, but it was the lightest 2 cabin RJ flight I've had on AA I believe ever.)
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
They started with 2 daily okc-phl flights and dropped one of them, although the second flight looks to be coning back in the spring. The 2 DCA flights I took this summer were about 75% full. PHX flights usually have decent loads, and all 9 DFW flights seem to always be full. Not sure how much value PHL adds when there are easy connections available at ORD, DFW, CLT, and DCA. I'm going to be on a couple of the Miami nonstops in January, and I am interested to see how those do. On the bright side, there is a ton of 10,000 mile round trip web special Redemption tickets available to the Northeast by the Philadelphia flight. I booked trips to LGA, PWM, and BTV each for 10k round trip all via PHL.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:08 pm

Rumors - AA Direct MIA to CPT

I've heard some rumors about direct flights on AA between Miami and Cape Town, South Africa in 2020. Can anyone confirm?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by josh13
I've heard some rumors about direct flights on AA between Miami and Cape Town, South Africa in 2020. Can anyone confirm?
Direct, or nonstop? (There's a difference.)
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:14 pm

Apologies - Nonstop
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Been on the theoretical radar for years, but no recent, credible info I’ve seen to indicate it’s actually, finally happening.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:32 pm

Given MIA-CMN on AT, and AT’s entry into OW next year, I wouldn’t be surprised if AA opened up another Africa route from MIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.