Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Thread referred to: Devaluation, new tiers, oneworld Explorer award gone, etc. 8 April 2014

Without any prior notification, American Airlines announced on 8 April 2014 some significant AAdvantage program rescissions and devaluations, effective immediately:

• oneworld Explorer awards can no longer be claimed; (pre-existing awards will be honored)

• Stopovers at North American gateways for international partner award tickets were eliminated

• AAnytime awards now reflect variable, demand-based pricing

• US Dividend Miles North Asia premium awards have repriced

Important Information

AAnytime Awards: Effective April 8, 2014, for tickets issued for travel starting June 1, 2014, we have updated award levels. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014. For award bookings after April 8 for travel between April 8 and June 1, 2014, these award mileage levels will apply.

oneworld Explorer Awards are no longer available for award booking. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014.
This thread is specifically to vent and offer ways for readers to protest or complain.

Possibilities for action / communication:

Originally Posted by hillrider
Here's what you can do, as stated by the U.S. Supreme Court in its recent case (Source: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-462_p8k0.pdf page 13)

Congress has given the Department of Transportation (DOT) the general authority to prohibit and punish unfair and deceptive practices in air transportation and in the sale of air transportation, 49 U.S.C. §41712(a) , and Congress has specifically authorized the DOT to investigate complaints relating to frequent flyer programs. See FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, §408(6), 126 Stat. 87. Pursuant to these provisions, the DOT regularly entertains and acts on such complaints.
It is your duty to enter a complaint with the DOT at http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/CP_AirlineService.htm. You can even quote this passage from the U.S. Supreme Court.
Sample communication to USDOT here.

Originally Posted by ooshawn
Just wrote an unhappy letter to AA/USAir execs (all email addresses I could find), if you want to feel free to use/build off of the following:
douglas.parker<at>usairways.com,
sean.bentel<at>aa.com,
tom.horton<at>aa.com ?
Customer.Relations<at>aa.com,
ken.fischer<at>usairways.com,
robert.isom<at>usairways.com,
suzanne.rubin<at>aa.com
Corporate structure: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/corporateInformation/facts/structure.jsp

Originally Posted by MyTravels
USPS:
<Executive Name>
P.O. Box 619616
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by tonytifao
They are going to strip every possible benefit, which will result in increased revenue but certainly loss of loyal customers in the near future.
UA and DL haven't realized revenue increases from cutting back their programs, why would AA be able to?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
They are going to strip every possible benefit, which will result in increased revenue but certainly loss of loyal customers in the near future.
There are some customers the airlines don't mind "firing", and I suspect that if you really are providing high-margin business to AA, they will work at making things more cushy for you in the months and years ahead. It's the FTer "turn my mileage runs into lie-flats, caviar and Krug" crowd that's likely to gnash their teeth and rend garments.

The fact that low-end elite status basically is the equivalent of the owning the branded credit card at most airlines (and some hotel chains) kind of says something...

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
UA and DL haven't realized revenue increases from cutting back their programs, why would AA be able to?
DL's doing well enough to pay dividends on DAL, and has delivered enough growth and revenue that they've actually decided to push into a new hub (SEA), something AA and UA haven't done in a good long while. Are you saying their model's unsustainable?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You realize that unless you're content with AS's network, AS is horribly reliant on partners for redemption options, right? That means, for instance, if AA and BA, DL and AF/KL turn off the low/saver spigot, you're left with table scraps to Europe. AS just jacked up redemption options on DL pretty much everywhere. And we don't know what will happen come 1/1/15 when DL implements their new chart (I worry that it's nothing good).

This is really a "nowhere to run, nowhere to hide" kind of scenario, unfortunately.
As others have said in other threads, it's a matter of choosing the best available option. Right now, if AA do to their partner rates what they've done to their own rates, then AS becomes a better proposition for me. I'm certainly not saying that they will remain so going forward.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
Originally Posted by aero0729
Hello everyone! I think it may be hopeless and the last good frequent flyer program could come to a slide but I recommend as many people as possible email AA and US today to share their concerns. May be a last ditch effort to save Advantage!
Better yet...as others have pointed out in various threads contact Citi (for AA) or Barclays (for US) and tell them how unhappy you are with these changes and want to know how to cancel your credit card. I doubt as individual FF's we have the power to change anything but I'll bet Mr. Parker will take a call from Citi or Barclays if they call him to chat about all these folks thinking about canceling their credit cards. Just a thought.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:19 pm

United, anyone?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA AAdvantage, BAEC Silver, LX Miles & More, AF FlyingBlue, EK Skywards
DP has pretty much told you/us that he could cAAre less about us. Please understand that not giving advance notice for these changes is beyond any insult any frequent customer of any business could receive.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
DL's doing well enough to pay dividends on DAL, and has delivered enough growth and revenue that they've actually decided to push into a new hub (SEA), something AA and UA haven't done in a good long while. Are you saying their model's unsustainable?
I'm saying their unit revenues and load weren't helped by the cuts to their FF program, excluding an accounting trick their profits are no higher than before the change and they've been losing market share on core routes, which encouraged them to move excess capacity to other markets like SEA. That's not quite the same as saying it's unsustainable, but it's unclear if their current strategy has strengthened their fundamental position.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:26 pm

I going to wait and see, but it doesn't bode well. After the US and American West merger, Doug Parker went the low-cost route (even the ticket symbol was changed to LCC for low cost carrier). He took out the domestic IFE, tore out most of the FC seats in the 321s and 757s, got rid of meals, glassware and bottles of water. All in the name of trying to compete with Southwest.

My hope was that US would become AA - a true full service airline. Rather, we're already seeing a downward slide. I am a refugee from Jeff's Continental takeover of UA. I don't think he meant to be to put UA into a nose-dive, he just didn't know any better. It was like "customer service", that's not the way we do things at CO. That costs money. Jack the baggage fees and cut the service - that's what makes an airline work. So he's left running an airline by spreadsheet.

Is American headed down the same path?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by dcdavido
<snip>

Is American headed down the same path?
From my perspective, unfortunately, it would appear so. I was hopeful that the merger would allow AA to set itself apart from the other US carriers in all aspects of the airline. Instead, I personally think that this doesn't bode well for AAdvantage members.

True AA frequent flyers, and premium cabin customers, might be pleased with forthcoming changes (cabin upgrades, new planes, new services offered at the airport, etc.) But, for those that are simply chasing miles without giving substantial amount of revenue to the airline, well... I suspect that the loyalty/frequent flyer world as we knew it is over. IMHO, airlines will cater to premium customers and high revenue/profitable customers. For everyone else, AA will look and be like all other airlines.

This is just my uneducated, devalued $0.02
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
This will all sound like chump change once AA implements the revenue based earn and burn to go one step ahead of DL and implements YQ on all awards.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
It's not just their program. Prices have increased, the ability to hold a reservation for 24 hours within 7 days, FF program devaluation. This will likely increase their revenue in the near future, at the same time when loyal customers will jump ship or shop for cheaper fares and ditch FF addiction.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:10 pm

It's not just their program. Prices have increased, the ability to hold a reservation for 24 hours within 7 days, FF program devaluation. This will likely increase their revenue in the near future, at the same time when loyal customers will jump ship or shop for cheaper fares and ditch FF addiction.
UA announced cuts to their program about a year ago which just came into effect for 2014, they also just announced their 1st quarter 2014 results:
2014 consolidated passenger revenue per available seat mile (“PRASM”) decreased between 1.5% and 2.5% versus the first quarter of 2013.
Costs and industry average prices are up, UA clearly did worse than airlines that did not cut their FF programs; correlation does not prove causation, but it kind of suggests it.

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Hating the canned replies. It's one thing to drop unannounced, immediately-applicable changes, but it's another thing to deflect genuine questions with canned, non-responses.
Considering the volume they have to deal with, I'm not sure any other method would work.

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
It's TIME....
TO POST BOMB the government morons who dismissed this from happening
To the traveling public that they were "entrusted" to protect..

[email protected]

The only way to 'fight' a corporation is to deny them subsistence to exist...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
A number of people here have suggested DL or UA as a result of a change to the FF programs. My question to you is, what did DL and UA both just do to their programs, and in scale compared to what AA just did, AA did nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.