Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
How much worse is AS availability to book CX flights

Is there a rule of thumb when booking Cathay flights using AS points?

I needed to go to New York. The flight from Seattle was 30K in coach. So I decided to look at going from Vancouver on Cathay. Sure enough at BritishAirways.com I was able to find a couple of dates (as we are close to departure) next week that had standard business class (and first class too) available between Vancouver and JFK.

Anyhow looking at Feb 17th for example AS couldn't see anything JFK-YVR for the return in any class of service. So I asked the agent to check other dates and she said the following day the 18th there was availability in business. So I booked it.

British Airways was showing
one business, one first on the 17th
3 business and one first on the 18th.

So the pattern I noticed was there needed to be MORE THAN 1 seat bookable to use my Alaska Miles on Cathay. What do you think???

Then I called up AA and booked using 30K AA points the date (17th) that I wanted. And for data point, AA could see the exact same as BA. Just Alaska couldn't.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by smilee
So the pattern I noticed was there needed to be MORE THAN 1 seat bookable to use my Alaska Miles on Cathay. What do you think???
ive booked CX flights in F where BA shows 1 seat every time i call. I'm not sure if close in is the problem.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by CDKing
ive booked CX flights in F where BA shows 1 seat every time i call. I'm not sure if close in is the problem.
Good to know. I am just trying to post information that I see and discover so those of us in the know on Flyertalk can possibly come up with an understanding of the Alaska IT and availability and make best use of our hard earned points.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked LAX-HKG-CEB and back recently - some flights were available to AS in exactly as seen on BA, some not visible completely despite multiple seats available to BA.
The moment i booked those flights were gone from BA so this is real time..
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
I had some mismatch issues today when dealing with a simple booking. I was booking a simple one-way redemption for HKG-LAX in J for August. I was using BA and JL to match availability.

The first flight (and my preferred flight) I asked for showed 3 available seats when searching via BA and JL. The AS rep could not find any seats. The second flight I asked for showed 1 available seat when searching via JL and BA and she was immediately able to find a seat, so I booked that flight.

She seemed competent but I figured I would call back and see if another agent could find a seat on my preferred flight which was still showing 3 available seats in J via BA and JL. I called an additional four times today and none of the reps were able to find availability in J, all were able to see availability in Y on that specific flight.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:33 pm

trying to book DPS-HKG-LAX-SEA via CX using AS miles. Called many times, Alaska agent wasn't able to find the availability for DPS-HKG. whereas, JAL & BA site shows 4 seats in economy available. Also called AA to check DPS-HKG availability and AA agent said there are 2+ award seats available! It is getting frustrating!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
North America to Asia, India, Africa, Australia and NZ allows a connection (with optional stopover) in Hong Kong.

You cannot route to Europe on Cathay from anywhere except Hong Kong. Only awards directly to and from Hong Kong are allowed.

Originally Posted by brizone
Unfortunately it's sorta difficult to tell where things stand, because those route rule notes were wiped from the AS award chart CX details the last time they were updated on the AS website, and haven't been fixed (yet?) The only one I'm certain of is the HKG to Australia or New Zealand (NO stopover allowed, it's specifically calculated only from HKG). But I seem to recall pre-update that the Asia/Europe or Asia/Africa (which is only South Africa) DID allow a stopover in HKG, since they were priced similar to the C1/C3 awards. That still seems to be the case.

Basically, if you see an F award in the ~30K range then it's no stopover. If it's more like in the ~70K range, you're good with a stopover. YMMV, but I'd say this is definitely a HUCA opportunity. (Make sure to ask to go straight to the Partner Awards desk so you're not wasting your time...)

Would really be nice if they fixed the website on this one, it's created a lot of confusion for everyone.

I really should message Missydarlin on this one...
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: Clubcarlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire AMB etc.
I'm a bit confused with the regions.. I select Australia-Asia and the middle east is also included. Does this mean middle east countries are included if flying from Australia?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
My recent experience is that inventory visible to AS agent exactly matched what was offered on BA. Further, when I booked the seats (2 pax) the BA inventory count decreased by 2 almost instantly.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by shocky
I'm a bit confused with the regions.. I select Australia-Asia and the middle east is also included. Does this mean middle east countries are included if flying from Australia?
No. As stated repeatedly anywhere else other than HKG or North America from Australia/NZ is two awards. Trust the wiki for the thread, not AS's website.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: hilton, hyatt, ihg, accor, best western, marriott, starwood

Last edited by greenfrog2015; Feb 9, 2017 at 9:08 am
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: hilton, hyatt, ihg, accor, best western, marriott, starwood
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
My recent experience is that inventory visible to AS agent exactly matched what was offered on BA. Further, when I booked the seats (2 pax) the BA inventory count decreased by 2 almost instantly.

Last edited by greenfrog2015; Feb 9, 2017 at 9:08 am
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by shocky
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
No. As stated repeatedly anywhere else other than HKG or North America from Australia/NZ is two awards. Trust the wiki for the thread, not AS's website.
I have no idea why AS uses that map crap. Its not an accurate representation of the regions. Also regions may vary by partner. For instance the one city in India served by JL is classified as Asia while on CX it would be considered India.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:54 am

I've noticed that CX has been holding back J award inventory from partners on Sunday flights from HKG-MLE for Dec and Jan. Has anyone gathered any data about this and know when do they open it for partners?

Last edited by nas6034; Feb 9, 2017 at 3:31 pm
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
I have no idea why AS uses that map crap. Its not an accurate representation of the regions. Also regions may vary by partner. For instance the one city in India served by JL is classified as Asia while on CX it would be considered India.
Yeah, poor form on that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.